Is there something obviously wrong with my electrical?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
In that case, the transformer is woefully inadequate as it only has a duty cycle of 8.4A (from the picture MadFloyd posted). In this case, the transformer may also overheat. However, with a full Class A design and assuming adequate capacitance in the power supply, unless you are playing extremely loudly and continuously, the inadequate current from the wall becomes less of an issue.

Gary, I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that while the transformer is technically inadequate it's most likely not an issue at reasonable listening volumes because my amps are Class A?

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Gary, I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that while the transformer is technically inadequate it's most likely not an issue at reasonable listening volumes because my amps are Class A?

It is an issue if the specification reported is correct, and will also be influencing the performance-behaviour of all other audio electronics on the same mains circuit.
Those amps cannot draw less than 4.6amps each when operating within spec because they are Class A (eventually they could slide more to/switch to AB but that is still above the Class A operation of 4.6A for each mono amp - but your already hitting the transformer limit it seems), then also add a bit for the other audio equipment.

That said MadFloyd, it is worth measuring as suggested by Speedskater because it is likely they drop out of Class A before the stated 4.6A draw, which may mean you could be ok depending upon volume (finding some way to measure mains use will show this and threshold reached with louder music - will be a crude measurement but handy to know for now).

Cheers
Orb

Last edited:

HedgeHog

Mar 12, 2012
Richmond, BC
Don't laugh too hard at my think out loud: Why not unplug one amp and try just one channel? It should be below the amperage and you can see if that one side perks up.

I'm quite low level...sorry. :(

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Your 1kVA transformer is definitely not enough as suggested above by many. Class A is only 30% efficiency At most. That means at most each passlabs mono get only 150W. No wonder you got thin bass as you require a lot of current to produce bass.

Also what is the diameter of your transformer as I cannot judge from the photo. If the transformer is really 1kVA, it should be pretty small.

This is my Equitech 10kVA transformer. It is purely used for my audio circuit and nothing more.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?16759-Equitech-Q-transformer&highlight=Equitech

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Yes, it is a big problem for audio. Ideally you want a short uninterrupted 10 gauge cable from the breaker to a single outlet and the end, with a single circuit for the source gear, and a single circuit for each amp....Get the power right, and the sound will follow.

I agree with this and Ack's comment. I have three identical 15' runs of JPS Labs In-Wall cable running from three separate 20 amp circuits in my main panel through the floor and terminated with a high grade Furutech IEC plug. Two are plugged directly into each mono block amp and the third is plugged directly into a conditioner which supplies power to my front end components in my rack. Essentially, DIY power cords running directly into the main panel.

Ian, great idea to start this thread. I hope it leads to a solution for your bass issues.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Ian, as long as we are spending your money I will also suggest going with the Pass X600.8 amps. These brutes will drive your M speakers without breaking a sweat. Don't get too hung up on the pure class A paradigm. These will run in class A for the first 100 watts before going to AB. While I haven't heard them, I have heard the X600.5 on the S5, and it is a match made in heaven. However, be careful you don't blow a M series driver. I bet they aren't inexpensive.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Well now I'm bummed. Looks like I had opened the wrong transformer box. The one feeding my amps is 2kVA so I guess that probably rules out my amps being power starved.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Well now I'm bummed. Looks like I had opened the wrong transformer box. The one feeding my amps is 2kVA so I guess that probably rules out my amps being power starved.

2kVA is still too small. Your equipments are such high quality. They deserve much higher ratings of transformers. Getting 10kVA transformer and you will never need to think about electricity.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
2kVA is still too small. Your equipments are such high quality. They deserve much higher ratings of transformers. Getting 10kVA transformer and you will never need to think about electricity.

Agreed. For those amps you'll probably need a 10kVA transformer.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

Why don't you do yourself a favor and contact a Torus Power dealer and see if you can get at least a 20A rack mount conditioner loaner. There's 4 Torus dealers in Massachusetts.
http://www.toruspower.com/customer-care/dealers-and-integrators/

You need isolation and power.
http://www.toruspower.com/news/torus-power-stays-focused-high/

This one will even give you voltage regulation.
http://www.toruspower.com/products/north-american-avr-series-2/

Not enough power for you to run with permanently but at least you'd get an idea if you're headed in the right direction.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I'm confused. When I posted the pic of the 1kVA transformer it seemed like it would be just a tad under-powered. Now with twice the power it could still be starving the amps?

I realize that it's better to have more headroom but what I'm trying to establish is whether this new value could be responsible for lack of bass. I don't want to get any false hope...

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
IMHO 1kVA is woefully inadequate for your amps, 2kVA is still woefully inadequate.

Orb is correct - I did not realize that your amps would slide over to Class AB. In that case, since standing Class A current is already 4.6A per amp, you are hitting the limit of your transformers already, and your amps would definitely be starved for current.

HedgeHog made a useful suggestion. Try playing one channel and see if you get better bass. However, if you do get better bass, it could also be a result of bass cancellation with two speakers. If the bass almost disappears, try playing the other channel. If you get better bass, one woofer in the first channel might be out of phase.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
I'm confused. When I posted the pic of the 1kVA transformer it seemed like it would be just a tad under-powered. Now with twice the power it could still be starving the amps?

I realize that it's better to have more headroom but what I'm trying to establish is whether this new value could be responsible for lack of bass. I don't want to get any false hope...

For sources, 1kVA is ok. For amp, you need at least 10 times of quoted power ratings. The power quoted of amplifier is for kind of steady state. If there is a quick transient or large dynamics music, the amp will draw large amount of current, the peak current capability is very important.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I would agree again, 2kVA is still too small for amps.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I would agree again, 2kVA is still too small for amps.

Yup. I would ditch the 1KVA iso transformer, and use the 2KVA for sources. Then just run straight power to the amps, unless you get a bigger iso transformer for them.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The other thing to keep in mind is how much instantaneous current an amp's power supply draws per cycle (when the diodes open for a brief amount of time), and that would be a LOT higher than continuous average. So if he can't adequately charge the power supplies' capacitors in the first place, I think the consequences are probably obvious.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
MF

Really, 4 pages of consternation on what is obviously mis spec'd isolation devices and you're still trying to rationalize why they are OK for your system?? Worried about the cost of an electrician ?? PLEASE. Get your guy over, bypass the crappy isolation and get on with it.........

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing