Is the Trinity DAC already Obsolete?

I think you are likely wrong about the MSB Select. I am doubtful that would ever happen. why would it? what would they have to gain? if it was me I would not do it. the Kassandra has nothing to lose. they need the pub.

yes and no about the inputs.

I only have one XLR input. and 3 RCA/zeel inputs. the other 2 inputs are 2 separate inside-the-pre phono sections. but more significantly, I only have one set of Tara Labs Grandmaster Evolution XLR's. the other set are RCA's for the GG. and those interconnects make a significant difference.

I could easily figure out the rack issues if I needed to. I have plenty of room. the tt could be moved temporarily.

Oh - I thought Asiufy had confirmed the MSB. Maybe I misunderstood. Will have to get the event sponsored by Tara Labs then - I'm sure they would be happy to lend you all the cabling if this event was photographed and all written up properly.

Oh - I thought Asiufy had confirmed the MSB. Maybe I misunderstood. Will have to get the event sponsored by Tara Labs then - I'm sure they would be happy to lend you all the cabling if this event was photographed and all written up properly.

Alex did invite me, and whoever else wanted to, to travel to Alma to hear the Select. not sure how long he might have it. but he made no mention of shipping it off for a shootout.

Tara Labs is down in Oregon and you could be right about helping out if need be.

Alex did invite me, and whoever else wanted to, to travel to Alma to hear the Select. not sure how long he might have it. but he made no mention of shipping it off for a shootout.

Tara Labs is down in Oregon and you could be right about helping out if need be.

Mike

Any update on how you are enjoying the Trinity and any comparisons that have shipped to your door. I have enjoyed hearing about your digital journey over last few months and would love an update on where you are. Last I left...you were splitting time on DSD with the Lampi and PCM with the trinity

Thanks in advance

Mike

Any update on how you are enjoying the Trinity and any comparisons that have shipped to your door. I have enjoyed hearing about your digital journey over last few months and would love an update on where you are. Last I left...you were splitting time on DSD with the Lampi and PCM with the trinity

Thanks in advance

sold it in December. it had nothing to do with performance, only having that much money tied up in a dac, pcm-only no less, was just not a good long term strategy. the Trinity is the finest sounding dac i have heard. i still miss it every day.....until i play my vinyl.....then it's easily forgotten.

the Trinity opened my eyes to the reality that pcm can be perfectly fine without any warts at all; but that it takes heroic (big dollars) effort to get there at this time. (my pro-dsd slanted anti pcm view is now gone)

but with all the efforts now in play on various up sampling, new dac chips and such.......hopefully Trinity level, or MSB Select dac level, solved pcm will be less spendy soon.

so I'm slumming it with the dsd only GG (using JRiver to up sample PCM to Quad dsd) and loving every minute. very enjoyable digital in all formats.

sold it in December. it had nothing to do with performance, only having that much money tied up in a dac, pcm-only no less, was just not a good long term strategy. the Trinity is the finest sounding dac i have heard. i still miss it every day.....until i play my vinyl.....then it's easily forgotten.

the Trinity opened my eyes to the reality that pcm can be perfectly fine without any warts at all; but that it takes heroic (big dollars) effort to get there at this time. (my pro-dsd slanted anti pcm view is now gone)

but with all the efforts now in play on various up sampling, new dac chips and such.......hopefully Trinity level, or MSB Select dac level, solved pcm will be less spendy soon.

so I'm slumming it with the dsd only GG (using JRiver to up sample PCM to Quad dsd) and loving every minute. very enjoyable digital in all formats.

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear vinyl is still the high bar in your system. Enjoy

Mike,
How does JRiver upsampled PCM to Quad DSD on Lampy GG compare with straight Trinity playing PCM? Have you tried HQplayer to do upsampling?.....some say it is mucho better than JRiver. If so, then maybe you have the best there can be with PCM? Also, what happened to the Aries Cerat shootout?

Mike,
How does JRiver upsampled PCM to Quad DSD on Lampy GG compare with straight Trinity playing PCM? Have you tried HQplayer to do upsampling?.....some say it is mucho better than JRiver. If so, then maybe you have the best there can be with PCM? Also, what happened to the Aries Cerat shootout?

I never heard back from Mike and I am guessing it is because he sold the trinity

Last edited:
...the Trinity opened my eyes to the reality that pcm can be perfectly fine without any warts at all...but with all the efforts now in play on various up sampling, new dac chips and such...

I've never had opportunity to audition the Trinity DAC, however, I came to a similar conclusion about PCM based on my own diy DAC experiments. My observation is that the secret seems to lay in a combination certain seemingly small implementation details, mostly in the post D/A conversion circuitry, and not so much in the mixed signal or digital elements utilized. However, it's difficult to be certain without hacking up the board so much that it becomes non-functional.

For example, the most realistic direct microphone-feed like, yet fatigue free, sound I obtained has been via a delta-sigma conversion D/A with a half-band digital filter. This result surprised me. I fully expected the best result to include a full resolution ladder-type D/A, probably with no digital filter. In addition, heroic jitter reduction techniques were not applied. I haven't yet pinned down what factor, or combination or factors are responsible for the sound I now obtain, but it is glorious. I'm almost afraid to experiment further, else I lose the current magic.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing