Ethernet Switch for only one component?

skinnyfla

Nov 1, 2023
Germany
Hi, is there a switch for one component only? Also interested in peoples findings - do they make a noticable difference? From what I understand the switch would be placed in the music room, between the ethernet socket leading to the streamer/streaming bridge. iMac (Roon Core) via ethernet into > router via ethernet into > Music Room via ethernet into > switch? > via ethernet into streamer/streaming bridge via coax/USB etc into > DAC... correct - so there is only one signal going into and one signal going out of the Switch... all switches have multiple inputs and outputs though... I only need one.

Any suggestions?

skinnyfla

Nov 1, 2023
Germany
Why do you need even one?
… from what I understand from reading they are supposed to prevent sound pollution/degredation through jitter and stuff coming from the router etc… just wanted to try one and see how big the sound effect is… but I do not need multiple sockets…

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
I’m afraid in this hobby a switch has different purposes than IT. Reducing noise is the main goal, not offering multiport connection. I’m more than happy with my Innuos PhoenixNET and I’ll soon try the new NA Tempus. I have one and only component in the path, as well.

skinnyfla

Nov 1, 2023
Germany
I’m afraid in this hobby a switch has different purposes than IT. Reducing noise is the main goal, not offering multiport connection. I’m more than happy with my Innuos PhoenixNET and I’ll soon try the new NA Tempus. I have one and only component in the path, as well.
… is that not what I wrote?

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
… from what I understand from reading they are supposed to prevent sound pollution/degredation through jitter and stuff coming from the router etc… just wanted to try one and see how big the sound effect is… but I do not need multiple sockets…
I am skeptical. I only use a switch if I need to switch.

skinnyfla

Nov 1, 2023
Germany
I am skeptical. I only use a switch if I need to switch.
… ah - okay… maybe I misunderstood what they do or how they work… not that firm in computer audio…

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
is that not what I wrote?
Sorry, I was thinking you were asking. Why don’t you try one? You may consider also filters, I find very useful the Muon Pro for instance.
Yes IME they do a significant difference. Also a LPS for the router can help.

skinnyfla

Nov 1, 2023
Germany
Sorry, I was thinking you were asking. Why don’t you try one? You may consider also filters, I find very useful the Muon Pro for instance.
... yeah - I was asking AND making an assumption... really new to computer audio and have little knowledge how things work or where they come into play... maybe a filter is more what I am looking for... I thought "filter" is exactly what a switch does - filter the noise/jitter so the streamer gets a better file...

Reactions: NaimYourTubes

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
Take your time and go a step at a time. I found improvements from both: switches and filters. And also a ground control CAD GC1 for high frequency noise. Other me,bers found beneficial also using more than one switch in cascade.

Mark212121

May 23, 2022
... yeah - I was asking AND making an assumption... really new to computer audio and have little knowledge how things work or where they come into play... maybe a filter is more what I am looking for... I thought "filter" is exactly what a switch does - filter the noise/jitter so the streamer gets a better file...
Hello skinnyfla. If it is a switch you are looking for, I think the Reiki Audio switches are for one component only. They have a website, which you can find by typing Reiki Audio into your search engine (I don't post here very often, so don't know if I am allowed to put in a link). There are a few optons, but they are not what I would call cheap. Good luck.

skinnyfla

Nov 1, 2023
Germany
Take your time and go a step at a time. I found improvements from both: switches and filters. And also a ground control CAD GC1 for high frequency noise. Other me,bers found beneficial also using more than one switch in cascade.
… thanks - will look into things…

Reactions: luca.pelliccioli

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Hi, is there a switch for one component only? Also interested in peoples findings - do they make a noticable difference? From what I understand the switch would be placed in the music room, between the ethernet socket leading to the streamer/streaming bridge. iMac (Roon Core) via ethernet into > router via ethernet into > Music Room via ethernet into > switch? > via ethernet into streamer/streaming bridge via coax/USB etc into > DAC... correct - so there is only one signal going into and one signal going out of the Switch... all switches have multiple inputs and outputs though... I only need one.

Any suggestions?

Taiko Audio’s switch is exactly what you are looking for.

skinnyfla

Nov 1, 2023
Germany
Hello skinnyfla. If it is a switch you are looking for, I think the Reiki Audio switches are for one component only. They have a website, which you can find by typing Reiki Audio into your search engine (I don't post here very often, so don't know if I am allowed to put in a link). There are a few optons, but they are not what I would call cheap. Good luck.
… thanks - does not have to be cheap, but effective

Reactions: Mark212121

skinnyfla

Nov 1, 2023
Germany
Taiko Audio’s switch is exactly what you are looking for.

… thanks - yes, that looks like what I am looking for… unsure whether to plunge into things and get invested… but I may try to get my hands on one to see what it actually does to SQ

Reactions: NaimYourTubes

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I own one and it made a huge difference with my Extreme server. There are things it will do with an Extreme server and ethernet card that it won’t with any other server (offload certain processes) but I still think it will be beneficial.

skinnyfla

Nov 1, 2023
Germany
I own one and it made a huge difference with my Extreme server. There are things it will do with an Extreme server and ethernet card that it won’t with any other server (offload certain processes) but I still think it will be beneficial.
… sounds great - I have little to none experience in this area…

Mark212121

May 23, 2022
… sounds great - I have little to none experience in this area…
Hello again skinnyfla. The Reiki is cheaper than the Taiko. I would at least try to compare the two. Reiki Audio is a UK company, so that may or may not be convenient to you. I think it is also quite a small enterprise at the moment, but you should be able to get a home trial.

skinnyfla

Nov 1, 2023
Germany
Hello again skinnyfla. The Reiki is cheaper than the Taiko. I would at least try to compare the two. Reiki Audio is a UK company, so that may or may not be convenient to you. I think it is also quite a small enterprise at the moment, but you should be able to get a home trial.
... thanks - sounds great to - many things to try out... :)

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
... thanks - sounds great to - many things to try out... :)
Best thing to do is try one in your system, so either get a loaner to demo or make sure you can return it if you don't hear an improvement.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing