Is it possible to have two Amplifiers with one pair of Speakers?

BiggusD

Nov 10, 2013
In my humble opinion, there is no such thing as "the" best amplifier. All have their strengths and weaknesses.

This got me thinking it is possible or does anyone indeed already have TWO amplifiers in their hi-fi system? No, I am not referring to bi-amping! Please let me explain:-

For some recordings and/or types of music one may prefer a tube amp. Yet for other other recordings and/or types of music he or she may want to hear it via a muscular solid state amp.

So is it possible to have two different amps wired to one pair of speakers and the whole system cabled in such a way that one can switch between the two amps effortlessly and preferably with a flick of a switch?

Thanks.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I do not currently know anybody doing this, but in the past knew of several folk who had done something like this, and I had an arrangement in my system so I could easily compare amplifiers and sources. Of course it's possible, just need a speaker switch, which could be a relay controlled by a remote switch. My Pioneer AVR has multiple trigger outputs that you have to assign to each input. That would allow me to e.g. turn on a SS amp for movies and a tube amp for CDs. For that matter, since I have different amps for L/R and C/surrounds/rears I could turn on just the main amp for 2ch listening and the other amp when I switch to a movie input.

FWIWFM - Don

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I have a friend who has a classic Krell KMA250 (?) and Conrad Johnson amplifiers and Thiel speakers. I'm not sure of the model numbers.

edit: He does not use a switcher. He connects what he wants at any given time.

Last edited:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Much like switchers used for audio demonstration. I have thought about that,but the differences are small,but it would be enjoyable. Also that means more IC's,PC's,speaker cable,dedicated power lines,ect. and the switcher and would that switcher denegrate the sound. I don't think it's really worth it,because there are tradeoffs. Depends on what you have and if the differences are really that pronounced.

BiggusD

Nov 10, 2013
I think switchers would degrade audio quality.

In my case I was thinking to connect both amps to the speakers. Since the speakers have spade connectors, I would think it easy to run two pairs of speaker cables to the speakers. Then my DAC has two outputs so each output would go to each amp. Then one would merely switch the source to DAC on the amp you want to hear and select the source from any other than DAC on the amp you do not want to hear.

However I have no idea if it is dangerous to connect it like this. So I wouldn't even try unless I was 100% sure it was safe to do so this way...

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I think switchers would degrade audio quality.

In my case I was thinking to connect both amps to the speakers. Since the speakers have spade connectors, I would think it easy to run two pairs of speaker cables to the speakers. Then my DAC has two outputs so each output would go to each amp. Then one would merely switch the source to DAC on the amp you want to hear and select the source from any other than DAC on the amp you do not want to hear.

However I have no idea if it is dangerous to connect it like this. So I wouldn't even try unless I was 100% sure it was safe to do so this way...

I'm not sure,but I would not try that,especially if you intend to have both amps powered.....bad idea.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I'm sure. Do NOT do wire the amps in parallel like that. You would very likely destroy both amps.

I find it hard to believe a large power relay would degrade the sound especially if we are talking about a tube amp but whatever.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
I do NOT love the smell of burnt amps in the morning.

If I switch amps; I power down. I do NOT love the smell of burnt amps in the morning.
Use banana plugs on the speaker wires to the amps & just switch the wires to the other amps [some bananas screw down on spades].
Same system if you want to repeatedly switch speakers.

zz.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing