Status
Not open for further replies.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Hi

This thread is supposed to be where one can discuss inexpensive but good audiophile products .. Let's focus on that.

Since I am known to be an audiophile by my friends I am often asked for advice on decent but inexpensive equipment...Too often I draw a blank or a roll-eye calling a $2,000 loudspeaker "inexpensive" ...
Recently I heard the Elac B6 and they are all-that!! Surprising doesn't do them any justice they are flat out good and if you hide the price, most audiophiles would find them very good ... They are simply marvelous and they cost ... $279/pair.. I bought 2 pairs for gifting friends ...

I need now recommendation for decent amps from $200 to 1000. I have some DACs in mind for circa $300 ... Goal is to to keep the entire system under $1000 ...

I have heard some names and have no experience whatsoever with them . I would like to hear from anyone who's heard them... Yaquin , Audioromy, etc

Frantz.... Integrated amp?

Also, if you real want to maximize the value, there are a number of integrated amps with built in DACs I can recommend for under $1000.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Integrated is the best way.

Once an audiophile .. forever an audiophile .. Here I am trying to find some gifts for friends and family and rather than thinking one box and a pair of speakers my first reflex is to think separated. Do not mind pure analog amp with noDAC either.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Integrated is the best way.

Once an audiophile .. forever an audiophile .. Here I am trying to find some gifts for friends and family and rather than thinking one box and a pair of speakers my first reflex is to think separated. Do not mind pure analog amp with noDAC either.
Ok, well for amp with DAC, i can't recommend more highly the iFI retro tube integrated with built in Micro iDSD DAC. 50 wpcs, Roughly around $1100 without the speakers
http://www.tonepublications.com/review/ifi-retro-50/

Marantz has a number of integrated amps that are just wonderful for the money, some with DACs some without:

http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductListing.aspx?CatId=HiFiComponents

The Rega Brio-R is another great one. $895 I believe...

The CLONES Audio 25iR:

http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-p...s-audio-25ir-integrated-amplifier-review.html

I would also look at the NAD line, Cambridge Audio, and Pro-Ject.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
We use this (or was it the older model?) for a while in our showroom and it sounded very good.
I'm a fan of the Marantz sound....it has that lovely just warm of neutral sound.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I defer to you on the TT reco!!!!

Basic entry-level is about $300-$500. The 2 most popular are from Rega and Pro-ject. Personally I prefer Pro-ject as Rega has issues with the dreaded Grado hum, which would limit one's cartridge options.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Basic entry-level is about $300-$500. The 2 most popular are from Rega and Pro-ject. Personally I prefer Pro-ject as Rega has issues with the dreaded Grado hum, which would limit one's cartridge options.

Yeh I figured Rega and Pro-ject were the best games in town..I guess Music Hall is the other one.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Yeh I figured Rega and Pro-ject were the best games in town..I guess Music Hall is the other one.
Yes it is. Both Music Hall and Pro-ject TT's are built in the same factory in the Czech Republic.

There are some other lesser-priced units that have received good press, but I'm unfamiliar them, so I'd rather not comment.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
We got a shipment of those Music Hall USB-1 turntables the other day. I was initially opposed to carrying it, as they seemed too flimsy, with that "$99 Crosley", "I'll destroy your records" vibe... But we opened one to set it up for a customer, and what do you know? The thing sounds pretty decent!!!!! Proper soundstage, weight, no HF nasties... It was actually better than the Music Hall 2.2 out of the box, as that model comes packaged with a fairly lousy cartridge. The Audio Technica on the USB-1 on the other hand is fairly good! For $250 with a built-in phono, it's a no brainer, and actually better/more stable/less finicky the entry-level Regas (IMHO).

cheers,
alex

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
We got a shipment of those Music Hall USB-1 turntables the other day. I was initially opposed to carrying it, as they seemed too flimsy, with that "$99 Crosley", "I'll destroy your records" vibe... But we opened one to set it up for a customer, and what do you know? The thing sounds pretty decent!!!!! Proper soundstage, weight, no HF nasties... It was actually better than the Music Hall 2.2 out of the box, as that model comes packaged with a fairly lousy cartridge. The Audio Technica on the USB-1 on the other hand is fairly good! For $250 with a built-in phono, it's a no brainer, and actually better/more stable/less finicky the entry-level Regas (IMHO).

cheers,
alex

Thanks alex. I love first hand experience recommendations.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
And then of course there are the connection requirements. Some really good value brands like Pangea, Mogami, Emotiva (yes....I have some and they're quite good), and several more who's names escape me at the moment.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
And then of course there are the connection requirements. Some really good value brands like Pangea, Mogami, Emotiva (yes....I have some and they're quite good), and several more who's names escape me at the moment.

absolutely.. and I can include Signal cable, entry level Kimber, DH Labs, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing