Introducing the New HiFi Miser Forum-As discussed by Andre Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I have heard good things about DH Labs. Have heard their wires at shows and the rooms always sounded very good.

It sounds great until you swap it out with Neotech. Try comparing the DH Labs Q10 with the Neotech 3004. It's like getting a different pair of speakers. And both the same price per FT.

Last edited:

jn229

Jul 23, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
Andre:

My brother in law uses a pro amplifier in his system, specifically a Peavy PV-3800 ( http://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/series/704/PV® Series ). His system is one of the best 'MISER' kits I have heard. Could you comment on pro amplifiers as a way to cut cost when system building.

Jim

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre:

My brother in law uses a pro amplifier in his system, specifically a Peavy PV-3800 ( http://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/series/704/PV® Series ). His system is one of the best 'MISER' kits I have heard. Could you comment on pro amplifiers as a way to cut cost when system building.

Jim

very good question. I honestly cannot comment as I have never used pro gear for two channel listening. I have HEARD pro gear countless times in studios.
Pros have totally different mind sets. They work on strict budgets, they want stuff that is super reliable and that is uncolored. I don't think it is a bad idea
at all to use pro amps. I am familiar with Peavey guitar amps because I used them for years. :D

Interestingly, lots of 'philes use pro DACs in their systems with no reservations.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I have heard good things about DH Labs. Have heard their wires at shows and the rooms always sounded very good.

DH Labs is solid. They are engineering driven. Period. Superb construction.

Same models in their line up for a decade plus..with some new additions.

Highly recommended.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
It sounds great until you swap it out with Neotech. Try comparing the DH Labs Q10 with the Neotech 3004. It's like getting a different pair of speakers. And both the same price per FT.

Can't you phrase things in a much more neutral manner?

How about, "As an alternative, I would recommend Neotech, very good performance, and it may be what you are looking for".

Your super opinionated approach is grating. There is no need to recommend alternatives at the expense of another vendor. Be fair.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015

How about, "As an alternative, I would recommend Neotech, very good performance, and it may be what you are looking for".

Your super opinionated approach is grating.

I was just trying to clearly get the message across. I've had an 8ft pair of Q10's for years. I switched to Neotechs and they were night and day better in all categories, and every system I tried them in. This just might be the reason Neotech is the 1# supplier to 3rd party cable manufactures seeking the finest copper and silver for audio. And in DaveC's (from Zenaudio) Case, he sells a special blend of silver and gold Neotech sourced cable.

Great information for someone looking for cables. Also it can be backed up with research.

Are honest opinions based on real world experience not welcome on this thread? I can see if I was a dealer, but I'm clearly not.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I was just trying to clearly get the message across. I've had an 8ft pair of Q10's for years. I switched to Neotechs and they were night and day better in all categories, and every system I tried them in. This just might be the reason Neotech is the 1# supplier to 3rd party cable manufactures seeking the finest copper and silver for audio. And in DaveC's (from Zenaudio) Case, he sells a special blend of silver and gold Neotech sourced cable.

Great information for someone looking for cables. Also it can be backed up with research.

Stop commenting on how helpful your posts are. That is for others to determine.

I understand what you saying but those are YOUR findings on YOUR speakers.

I have both ZenWave and DH Labs Q10 in the house and they are both great products. No doubt doubt DaveC knows
what he is doing. i also have his Surge X conditioner in the system now and it is very nice indeed.

All I am asking is be fair to all vendors. DH Labs tries to provide the best product they can and so does ZenWave.
And they both run by good guys.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Stop commenting on how helpful your posts are. That is for others to determine.

I understand what you saying but those are YOUR findings on YOUR speakers.

I have both ZenWave and DH Labs Q10 in the house and they are both great products. No doubt doubt DaveC knows
what he is doing. i also have his Surge X conditioner in the system now and it is very nice indeed.

All I am asking is be fair to all vendors. DH Labs tries to provide the best product they can and so does ZenWave.
And they both run by good guys.

I'm sure 98% of manufacturers who sell cables in this industry are great guys. But without giving a true unbiased honest opinion of the product, how is this information helpful to anyone seeking advice? I suppose we can just say everything is exactly the same, so just buy from who ever is nicer, and close the thread.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I'm sure 98% of manufacturers who sell cables in this industry are great guys. But without giving a true unbiased honest opinion of the product, how is this information helpful to anyone seeking advice? I suppose we can just say everything is exactly the same, so just buy from who ever is nicer, and close the thread.

Jeeze Effing Christ. Just STOP. STOP arguing.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Jeeze Effing Christ. Just STOP. STOP arguing.

Sorry, I'll keep honest opinions to my thread from now on, if you stop crapping on mine. End of story, done deal. :)

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Blizz

How do I determined how "unbiased" your opinion is? Yours is an opinion; same value as another from another person.. I can't know if it is honest or unbiased . I also must say I cringe any time I see the "Night and Day" hyperbole, especially from cables. So yes, we appreciate your opinions and pointers but you are really shoving down our throats with a shovel ..

I sincerely am not pleased to post this but I couldn't resist if the mods judge this to be inappropriate by all means remove it ...

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Blizz

How do I determined how "unbiased" your opinion is? Yours is an opinion; same value as another from another person.. I can't know if it is honest or unbiased . I also must say I cringe any time I see the "Night and Day" hyperbole, especially from cables. So yes, we appreciate your opinions and pointers but you are really shoving down our throats with a shovel ..

I sincerely am not pleased to post this but I couldn't resist if the mods judge this to be inappropriate by all means remove it ...

It's unbiased because I'm not paid to offer my opinion I stand nothing at all to gain by offering my opinion. I actually stand more to lose because of having to take the time to explain myself over and over when people get offended by my honesty. I am 100% brand agnostic, I Offer my opinions based on first hand experience, and research.

But yes it's only MY opinion. Nobody is obligated to share my view. Just like when others share their opinion.

Last edited:

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
You're right on Frantz and Blizz has been warned all too frequently. Thank you for maintaining your equanimity

He's running on a short cord.

So Andre clearly violated the TOS, when I clearly haven't, and I'm on the short cord?

I can see you deleted my post that pointed that out already. I guess it's clear what kind of forum your trying to run.

Anyways I take screenshots of every post just incase they vanish for unjustified reasons.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Blizzard. It was I that deleted your post and another one. Both of them were off topic and both of them were personal in nature, they had nothing to do with the thread. With that said, please watch your tone. If you do not like the way this forum is handled, then it is your right to leave. On the flip side, if we don't like the way you confront members and the management team, it is our right to show you the door. This is not your forum, you are a guest. Please act accordingly.

FYI, Steve did not delete the two posts. It was I and as you see, the management team has not reinstated either post from both members.

Just for your knowledge, you did violate the TOS. Specifically;
2. Cordial participation is a key requisite of being a member in our forum. If in our opinion you are violating this rule, administrative action may be taken which may include termination of your membership and deletion of your posts with or without notice.
6. Please do not attempt to moderate the forum on your own. If you see objectionable posts, please report them. We will deal with them. Above all, focus on the topic being discussed, rather than the person discussing it.
As a reminder;
18. While we rule with a gentle hand in managing the forum, we reserve the right to terminate membership of anyone that we believe in our sole opinion to be disruptive to the well being of the community.
8. Your forum administrators rule with a gentle hand. But should the occasion arise where we must take immediate and strong action, we will do so. In that case, our decisions are not subject to debate.

Tom

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Hello, Blizzard. It was I that deleted your post and another one. Both of them were off topic and both of them were personal in nature, they had nothing to do with the thread. With that said, please watch your tone. If you do not like the way this forum is handled, then it is your right to leave. On the flip side, if we don't like the way you confront members and the management team, it is our right to show you the door. This is not your forum, you are a guest. Please act accordingly.

FYI, Steve did not delete the two posts. It was I and as you see, the management team has not reinstated either post from both members.

Just for your knowledge, you did violate the TOS. Specifically;
2. Cordial participation is a key requisite of being a member in our forum. If in our opinion you are violating this rule, administrative action may be taken which may include termination of your membership and deletion of your posts with or without notice.
6. Please do not attempt to moderate the forum on your own. If you see objectionable posts, please report them. We will deal with them. Above all, focus on the topic being discussed, rather than the person discussing it.
As a reminder;
18. While we rule with a gentle hand in managing the forum, we reserve the right to terminate membership of anyone that we believe in our sole opinion to be disruptive to the well being of the community.
8. Your forum administrators rule with a gentle hand. But should the occasion arise where we must take immediate and strong action, we will do so. In that case, our decisions are not subject to debate.

Tom

You know what, What has just gone on here is absolutely ridiculous. And it's clear that honesty, and looking out for the consumers best interest is frowned upon. The REAL purpose of the forum is to advertise for a select group of manufacturers. As long as your talking good about them, then your in the good books. Otherwise, your banished.

Lets leave it up to the viewers of this thread to decide if this was handled appropriately. Although it will probably be deleted anyways.

It's become clear my presence is no longer welcome, even though Amir said I have his full support. So I will leave in peace so the men who have the moderators in their back pocket can once again be happy.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
You know what, What has just gone on here is absolutely ridiculous. And it's clear that honesty, and looking out for the consumers best interest is frowned upon. The REAL purpose of the forum is to advertise for a select group of manufacturers. As long as your talking good about them, then your in the good books. Otherwise, your banished.

Lets leave it up to the viewers of this thread to decide if this was handled appropriately. Although it will probably be deleted anyways.

It's become clear my presence is no longer welcome, even though Amir said I have his full support. So I will leave in piece so the men who have the moderators in their back pocket can once again be happy.

Bliz,

what is sad is that you have so much to offer (I say that sincerely) but don't understand the basics about 'playing well with others'. no one here is against you. you assume being right is enough. or being well intentioned is enough. it's just not. common courtesy and a little bit of respect and control is also needed to 'get along'.

we are not your enemies. r e l a x. take a deep breath. listen to some music. smile. just slow down your machine gun a bit and consider not being so defensive. allow a slight to go unchallenged. don't have to win every point. pick your battles carefully.

I hope you can modify yourself enough to stay around and share your bounty. we are only put off by your style, not your content.

by now you have heard this refrain enough from enough directions that either you simply filter any constructive criticism out or you are totally determined not to consider changing.

best regards,

Mike

lateboomer

Oct 22, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
Blizz,

I hope you don't leave, I don't want to following you here from CA then to follow you to other forum, as you are very knowledgeable guy but your inter personal skills need to improve. I saying this with good intention as I had pm you for source transport advice based on sd card and hope continue to learn from you. I don't believe you can't see it yourself since your avatar shows you get yourself very lovely lady (salute!), you shouldn't that insufferable as what they said.

As said they don't have issue with your knowledge sharing but your style. For eq, if I invite you to my child birthday party, and the first thing comes out of your mouth is how stupid ugly my boy looks and better don't smile, then you will get punched straight on the face. But if you said my boy is lovely but why not bring him to see dentist to fix those crooked teeth, then I may thank you very much. But the intention is the same. I am simple person so only can paint simple scenario.

On lighter note, if you wanna know how your communication style looks like, you can watch a great movie "As Good As Its Get" by Jack Nicholson. Brilliant story.

Peace! :)

Last edited:

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I have seen a number of personal attacks on Blizzard and have been very impressed at how patient he has been.

Seems it's fair game to have a go at some members.....

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I just want to add 1 last thing. Read this:

Quote Originally Posted by asiufy View Post
We got a shipment of those Music Hall USB-1 turntables the other day. I was initially opposed to carrying it, as they seemed too flimsy, with that "$99 Crosley", "I'll destroy your records" vibe... But we opened one to set it up for a customer, and what do you know? The thing sounds pretty decent!!!!! Proper soundstage, weight, no HF nasties... It was actually better than the Music Hall 2.2 out of the box, as that model comes packaged with a fairly lousy cartridge. The Audio Technica on the USB-1 on the other hand is fairly good! For $250 with a built-in phono, it's a no brainer, and actually better/more stable/less finicky the entry-level Regas (IMHO).

cheers,
alex

Andre:

Thanks alex. I love first hand experience recommendations.

There's the dealer/reviewer relationship that's acceptable here. As long as the right product's are discussed, anything goes.

Now we look at what happens when I recommend another product in a similar manner:

Blizzard:

Andre:

Your super opinionated approach is grating. There is no need to recommend alternatives at the expense of another vendor. Be fair.

And then, Mr moderator steps in:

You're right on Frantz and Blizz has been warned all too frequently. Thank you for maintaining your equanimity

He's running on a short cord.

Anyone see a pattern here?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing