Introducing the New HiFi Miser Forum-As discussed by Andre Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
With regard to music threads there are several of us (myself included) who play their part and contribute regularly. Unfortunately only a few of those threads ever see any traction. This tells me that the membership here is very definitely more interested in everything gear-related. And that's fine as perhaps it should be, but a little more participation from them would be welcomed.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Here is the simple answer Dave. I own that unit. I took it apart. And the rectifier was absolutely touching the caps.

Ok, I believe you. Not a good pic to show that though... I mean, was the rectifier bent over by accident? It doesn't look like there is a solder pad for it right next to the cap. It could just be bad QC and not bad design...

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Ok, I believe you. Not a good pic to show that though... I mean, was the rectifier bent over by accident? It doesn't look like there is a solder pad for it right next to the cap. It could just be bad QC and not bad design...

FYI, I thought a different photo was being referred to in my previous comment. Just a clarification.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Likely it is a hand assembled part as they did not want to program the pick and place machine just for that. And it was inserted at an angle. The fix should have been to either put further out and give instruction to the assembly people to assemble it correctly. In general the thermal design of that unit is poor as I described in my article. So these are design problems and not QC issues.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Agreed, Mike. BTW, Blizzard.....you were never banned. If you were, you wouldn't have been posting. ;)

Tom

From what I hear it's just around the corner if I keep sharing my ideas. If idea sharing is frowned upon around here, then it's not the place for me anyways. People have been whining, crying and complaining about the ideas I've been sharing. I guess it's hard for some to hear after spending $60000+ on their DAC's there's still much room for improvement. Same with amplifiers, nobody wants to know that $2000 can buy them an amp that's likely better than they paid much more for.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
From what I hear it's just around the corner if I keep sharing my ideas. If idea sharing is frowned upon around here, then it's not the place for me anyways. People have been whining, crying and complaining about the ideas I've been sharing. I guess it's hard for some to hear after spending $60000+ on their DAC's there's still much room for improvement. Same with amplifiers, nobody wants to know that $2000 can buy them an amp that's likely better than they paid much more for.

Let me help you a bit. Nobody is opposed to your mod ideas. Those who can implement them I am sure will benefit. You obviously
have a solid knowledge base and technical acumen.

BUT..you are relentless. You have repeated your self far too many times. Like a jack hammer. Ease up on the agenda.
Also you make it seem like you are doing everyone a favor. And you are being presumptuous about what outperforms what.

So, keep contributing, please, but don't be tone deaf to the requests to do so in the right place at the right times.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Let me help you a bit. Nobody is opposed to your mod ideas. Those who can implement them I am sure will benefit. You obviously
have a solid knowledge base and technical acumen.

BUT..you are relentless. You have repeated your self far too many times. Like a jack hammer. Ease up on the agenda.
Also you make it seem like you are doing everyone a favor. And you are being presumptuous about what outperforms what.

So, keep contributing, please, but don't be tone deaf to the requests to do so in the right place at the right times.

The real problem is a small handful of closed minded whiners. For every 1 of them, there's 50 that appreciate what I post. Only these people remain quiet because they simply don't want to jump in the fire. I do receive PM's quite often from the open minded.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I would rarely comment but because Blizzard is making attempts to impugn my integrity let me set the record straight. I have sent you countless PM's asking you and many times imploring you not to take threads off topic with your constant interjection about how people have spent $$$ on their equipment only to have you dump on them because you feel your mods are so much better. Perhaps that is the case. However it seems you are relentless in your pursuit of your ideas and have continued to do such even after you agreed not to. Further I also told you that I like you and respect your ideas and that when someone says something contrary to your beliefs I suggested you start new threads and that we also Have a DIY subforum where I suggested you would gain more support and respect from the membership. You again agreed to my admonitions only to have you continue once again. To say you are a jack hammer is putting it mildly. I will say again that I enjoy your contributions but I am tired of getting complaints from members that they feel ill at ease to post because they can't get a word in edge wise without your staccato posts everywhere. So many of you have so much to contribute but as I have said so many times to all of you that it is not what you present that stirs the pile but rather how you say it that causes members angst. So I try to help you with constructive criticism and you flip it. Another classic example of obfuscation and deflection. Those things don't sit right with me Blizzard. I will conclude by saying I've offered good suggestions. It's up to you to seize the opportunity.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
The real problem is a small handful of closed minded whiners. For every 1 of them, there's 50 that appreciate what I post. Only these people remain quiet because they simply don't want to jump in the fire. I do receive PM's quite often from the open minded.

I think you need to come back to earth. Re-read what I said. Your information is valuable. They way you present it, and way you
think it is a big favor you are doing, is a put off. Trying to help.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I think you need to come back to earth. Re-read what I said. Your information is valuable. They way you present it, and way you
think it is a big favor you are doing, is a put off. Trying to help.

As long as 80-90% of people reading, learn something valuable, then good enough for me. Even the whiners are learning things. But they just don't want to admit it. I'm not going to walk on eggshell's just because I risk bursting someones bubble that has a viewpoint that's contrary to mine. The only people complaining are people who don't know much about how audio gear is built. I never hear any negative feedback from the knowledgeable.

Last edited:

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
As long as 80-90% of people reading, learn something valuable, then good enough for me. Even the whiners are learning things. But they just don't want to admit it. I'm not going to walk on eggshell's just because I risk bursting someones bubble that has a viewpoint that's contrary to mine. The only people complaining are people who don't know much about how audio gear is built. I never hear and negative feedback from the knowledgeable.

Sigh. You are being tone deaf. I tried.

Pick your spots.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I would rarely comment but because Blizzard is making attempts to impugn my integrity let me set the record straight. I have sent you countless PM's asking you and many times imploring you not to take threads off topic with your constant interjection about how people have spent $$$ on their equipment only to have you dump on them because you feel your mods are so much better. Perhaps that is the case. However it seems you are relentless in your pursuit of your ideas and have continued to do such even after you agreed not to. Further I also told you that I like you and respect your ideas and that when someone says something contrary to your beliefs I suggested you start new threads and that we also Have a DIY subforum where I suggested you would gain more support and respect from the membership. You again agreed to my admonitions only to have you continue once again. To say you are a jack hammer is putting it mildly. I will say again that I enjoy your contributions but I am tired of getting complaints from members that they feel ill at ease to post because they can't get a word in edge wise without your staccato posts everywhere. So many of you have so much to contribute but as I have said so many times to all of you that it is not what you present that stirs the pile but rather how you say it that causes members angst. So I try to help you with constructive criticism and you flip it. Another classic example of obfuscation and deflection. Those things don't sit right with me Blizzard. I will conclude by saying I've offered good suggestions. It's up to you to seize the opportunity.

If you read my posts more carefully, I'm not dumping on anyone. I make suggestions, then they dump on me. So I follow up with explaining in further detail why the suggestion I made is valid. Then once they realize that my points are just to strong for them to debunk, they get mad and complain to you. Besides the only mod I've really discussed was for the Amanero in the GG. The other mods I discussed were posted in my DAC mod thread in the DIY section.On this thread I got an warning email for simply sharing information on high value commercial products.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Blizzard I made the conscience desicion to go with linear supplies in these amps just to see how they will perform. For really the reason you have made clear is that "everyone" else on the most part are using the switching supplies. If I don't like the results there is a good chance I will build another pair with the Hypex supplies. This is more of a hobbyist experiment for me than me looking for the absolute cutting edge. I guess I could do worse with my idle time.

Yes that's a good idea. There's nothing better than 1st hand experience. I've built the amps you are building with both no-compromise linear supplies, and their SMPS. It was a real eye opener.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
It is difficult if not impossible to reason with an unreasonable person. I won't discuss it further. I will say again that your contributions are well received. It's how you present it. Enough said except that I hope you got my message as I have been trying to help you. I guess the ball is in your court and time will tell

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
It is difficult if not impossible to reason with an unreasonable person. I won't discuss it further. I will say again that your contributions are well received. It's how you present it. Enough said except that I hope you got my message as I have been trying to help you. I guess the ball is in your court and time will tell

Maybe if you would copy and paste an example of a suggestion I made that was presented in an unreasonable fashion, I will have a better understanding on what you find to be inappropriate. Because right now I don't have a clear understanding on what's acceptable and what isn't.

Since information I posted on this thread triggered a warning, this might be a good place to start.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I am putting a quick pause here. Let's all relax a bit, listen to some great music and remember what we love about this hobby and interacting online.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I an opening the thread per member request. Please note that be mindful of our forum terms of service as you post, specifically these:

2. Cordial participation is a key requisite of being a member in our forum. If in our opinion you are violating this rule, administrative action may be taken which may include termination of your membership and deletion of your posts with or without notice.

6. Please do not attempt to moderate the forum on your own. If you see objectionable posts, please report them. We will deal with them. Above all, focus on the topic being discussed, rather than the person discussing it.

8. Your forum administrators rule with a gentle hand. But should the occasion arise where we must take immediate and strong action, we will do so. In that case, our decisions are not subject to debate.

18. While we rule with a gentle hand in managing the forum, we reserve the right to terminate membership of anyone that we believe in our sole opinion to be disruptive to the well being of the community.

And our forum mission statement:

Welcome to What's Best Forum! Please consider joining our friendly and helpful community of enthusiasts where we discuss the best in audio and video to everything else we love from food to movies and music. We are proud of the professional conduct of our membership and strict moderation of the same, combined with high level of technical content shared by our members. If you want to learn and have fun doing it, or share what you know about our favorite hobbies without fear of antagonism, WBF forum is for you.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
For this article, I am going to open the top of a premium AVR I purchased back in 2007.
I think that it is clear that in this instance amirm looked inside the unit himself, and did not go off a photograph taken by someone else as his basis.

Repost of photo:
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?18807-Inside-of-an-Audio-Video-Receiver-(AVR)

View attachment 23768

Thanks George. So it is clear, I own not one but two of this identical AVR! Bought them both to do a comparison testing which I never completed. Then I put one of them in use in our living room system and used for probably 3 years until I swapped it out for a Pioneer. In the picture you posted the rectifier was absolutely touching the cap. After I took that picture (see attachment in above quote) I pulled it apart.

I always open all my components, old and new; I just like to look inside them to see if if the assembly line workers are attentive. :b
I also put rubber dampers between the top covers and frame sides; so that the top doesn't "ring".

I owned few Onkyo receivers in the past, including the 805 from above. It's true that sometimes some parts can touch other parts; then I bend them back straight up gently.
Those units only cost from $1,000 to $3,000 so they are not methodically build like a Ferrari of ultra hi-end ($10,000 to $300,000) audio jewelry.

Here's a review (German) of the Onkyo TX-SR875, the same as the 805 but with a better video processor. ...The only main difference; everything else is the same.

? http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/2007/onkyo_tx_sr875_info.shtml

And here are the internals with that section Amir earlier showed us (see inserted attachment from the first quote); rectifier touching the larger cap.
{In the pictures here the rectifier was fortunately not touching the larger cap @ proximity.}

onkyo_875_in_seiteoben_komp.jpg onkyo_875_in_platinen_etage.jpg onkyo_875_in_fuse_netzteil.jpg

And I feel good; that this thread has been reopened. One day @ a time; yesterday's gone, today's a splendid day, and tomorrow I'm going shopping, for food.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

This thread is supposed to be where one can discuss inexpensive but good audiophile products .. Let's focus on that.

Since I am known to be an audiophile by my friends I am often asked for advice on decent but inexpensive equipment...Too often I draw a blank or a roll-eye calling a $2,000 loudspeaker "inexpensive" ...
Recently I heard the Elac B6 and they are all-that!! Surprising doesn't do them any justice they are flat out good and if you hide the price, most audiophiles would find them very good ... They are simply marvelous and they cost ... $279/pair.. I bought 2 pairs for gifting friends ...

I need now recommendation for decent amps from $200 to 1000. I have some DACs in mind for circa $300 ... Goal is to to keep the entire system under $1000 ...

I have heard some names and have no experience whatsoever with them . I would like to hear from anyone who's heard them... Yaquin , Audioromy, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing