Insurance for large system

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle

We are USAA members and several times they told me to go pound sand when it came to quoting a homeowner's insurance policy.
But AAA has been great, only one claim after Hurricane Ivan in Ft. Lauderdale, they covered every repair.

USAA underwrote our new home in Naples Fl and our present newer home in N.FL. That’s all been within the last 5 years.

Last edited:

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
For my Alexx V and Mephistos, if someone wants to rob them, I wish them well. My hope is that the cameras will record them so I can identify them and hire them as movers the next time I need to take the Extreme of the top shelf to change something. For the smaller stuff like the Soulution 725, Horizon, and Dohmann Helix TT, I leave an old Mac receiver on a nearby table with a sign that says "Please steal this. Other equipment is broken and does not work" .

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
At least insurance companies think climate change is real.

...there has not been a brushfire in Beverly Crest since 1990.
Shhhh. The gods are listening.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have written it before - a good friend's apartment was robbed at a time he owned Cello, VAC, my current Forsell turntable :) and Dynaudio top speakers. The burglars took a Sony three piece rack , the TV's and a few small objects and left all the high-end ...

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I have written it before - a good friend's apartment was robbed at a time he owned Cello, VAC, my current Forsell turntable :) and Dynaudio top speakers. The burglars took a Sony three piece rack , the TV's and a few small objects and left all the high-end ...

Thank God for dumb criminals!

Reactions: Famester

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I thought Chubb will cover anyone for anything but premiums in the ozone layer

I have always believed, correctly I think, that Chubb's business model is very different than the business model of every other insurance carrier. The standard insurance carrier business model is to avoid paying claims at nearly all cost, to make you prove everything and basically to argue over every dollar.

Chubb's business model is to charge very high premiums, but to pay big claims almost on demand and without hassle and with very reassuring support and service along the way.

Starting three or so years ago Chubb decided they had too much risk exposure to high-end homes in Southern California. They started not offering to renew many residential policies.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That’s in my narrative of each individual piece as it can prove ownership via serial number registration

Steve, God forbid anything happens to your house, but I'll sign an affidavit that says you had Wilson XVXes.

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010

Attachments

• IMG_0056.jpeg
    IMG_0056.jpeg
    16.4 KB · Views: 4

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Thank God for dumb criminals!

Apart from that, it's also worthwhile to have a proper alarm system for your house. In my case the police comes within minutes if something is wrong (which I have involuntarily tested ;) to be true).

The monthly fee for good alarm systems is super cheap.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
*As a public service I will make you all feel better about your insurance premium for your primary residence. Due to California government insurance regulations I believe that every high-end home insurer except one has left the state entirely or is declining to write new policies in my area. Effectively there is only one insurer left writing policies in my area. My insurance premium for basic coverage which does not even fully insure the replacement cost of our 5,000 square foot house with very little flat land is $85,000.

I shutter to think of your real estate taxes.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Apart from that, it's also worthwhile to have a proper alarm system for your house. In my case the police comes within minutes if something is wrong (which I have involuntarily tested ;) to be true).

we also get a premium discount annually for having a central sks system. However where I live crime doesn’t occur. Some minor vandalism but no burglary or theft as we are a community of 3000 behind a guarded gate on 2 golf courses at the foot of a mountain our worry is fire… hence why I keep the video of my system as well as contents of my house is kept on my bank safe deposit box

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
yes. moving big ticket items is difficult for the average criminal.my clients tell me that such things are pre-ordered.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
it is also likely the police will ask to see a receipt before taking a stolen property report.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I shutter to think of your real estate taxes.

$67,000

And, unlike where Al lives, the Los Angeles Police Department response time here is so slow, they don't bother even to send police anymore -- they just send the undertaker. So basically I am paying $1,300 per week for garbage pick-up.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
$67,000

And, unlike where Al lives, the Los Angeles Police Department response time here is so slow, they don't bother even to send police anymore -- they just send the undertaker. So basically I am paying $1,300 per week for garbage pick-up.
90210 :cool:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
$67,000

That is about what they were when I visited three or four years ago. You were anxious about the new assessment after the renovation is complete and the resulting massive increase in taxes.

Wow, garbage only? Who pays for the roads, parks, and schools in your town?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Yes, IMO iy is much worth having good alarm systems than burglar insurance. And a GPS system in the gear that gets turned on for a week when someone disconnects the components! ;)

Reactions: Al M. and Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
For my Alexx V and Mephistos, if someone wants to rob them, I wish them well. My hope is that the cameras will record them so I can identify them and hire them as movers the next time I need to take the Extreme of the top shelf to change something. For the smaller stuff like the Soulution 725, Horizon, and Dohmann Helix TT, I leave an old Mac receiver on a nearby table with a sign that says "Please steal this. Other equipment is broken and does not work" .
When i was installing the Statements we tried 2 man bringing just the speaker base into the house, with the help of a dolly, and had to give up. We needed additional manpower ! No way anyone steals the assebled speakers ! o_O

Reactions: Al M. and PeterA

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That is about what they were when I visited three or four years ago. You were anxious about the new assessment after the renovation is complete and the resulting massive increase in taxes.

You remember correctly! Because there was a little additional square footage added to the house and because all of the work was repairs, there was no significant increase in taxes due to the work. It has been gradually rising to $67,000 over the years.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing