System for Under US$10,000 MSRP

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
For car stereo and mid-hi-fi I highly recommend Crutchfield.
Marc knows this system is not a "high-end" or an "audiophile" system, but if he's happy, then I'm happy.

Reactions: Kjetil and Al M.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Marc knows this system is not a "high-end" or an "audiophile" system, but if he's happy, then I'm happy.

If he's happy, that's all that counts.

Also, why is it not a a "high-end" or an "audiophile" system? If he cares about sound, which he obviously does, then he's an audiophile, no?

Where is the imaginary "line" between budget good sound and "high end"?

How much money needs to be spent in order to qualify for "high end"?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Ron offered his café business consulting services to his friend and then solicited advice from the rest of us on what is best. We gave advice that Ron then passed along to his friend. The website was a useful tool to get information which the customer eventually rejected in favor of Crutchfield. No need to get bogged down in definitions or levels. It is about enjoying music.

I do want to see a system video at some point though. Emoji.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ron offered his café business consulting services to his friend and then solicited advice from the rest of us on what is best. We gave advice that Ron then passed along to his friend.

His friend was going to buy but then heard Ron’s recently uploaded video and decided against those services

• Haha
Reactions: Rexp

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
How much money needs to be spent in order to qualify for "high end"?
I view it as what is the maximum price of my desired component/system? Just because something is different to it or does things that are marginal to it does not make it better.

for example, for me Lampi golden gate, vyger RS, Dava, a mono cart is all I desire. That’s quite expensive too. Now just because costlier tables exist I don’t desire them. But if I had a feickert Firebird, I will spend the occasional times considering what if I had the vyger therefore I define the highest end by my desirability. Above my High end is fool’s paradise.

my commercially desired speakers are Universum and pnoe AER BD5, and if I hear trios sound good with analogue, then…

but the bespoke route is sonically better and cheaper

Massimo66

Feb 7, 2022
The secret in life is not to settle. If this were the case, the path of individual growth which is a fundamental part of our journey would be lost "Like tears in the rain". The real crime is not enjoying what you have and all the goals you have achieved.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I don't think so. You can stop to appreciate the moment, and still look ahead.

I agree with you Al, but it is an interesting topic. I have enjoyed the hobby for 30 years and I was not settled. But now I’ve reached a quandary. I am fairly settled and I’ve never enjoyed it more. I’m about to hear a new turntable directly comparing it to the one I have and I suspect it will make me wonder if I am truly settled.

Last edited:

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
I don't think so. You can stop to appreciate the moment, and still look ahead.
I dunno…. It sounds like “Enjoy what you have, but always be on the quest for the next level.” It is a rare personality that can balance themselves this well. For many (perhaps not all), anxiety over the quest would get in the way of true enjoyment.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
He’s probably happier because of it.
This is a low drama, musical system. Crutchfield is a reliable supplier and they will give him lifelong support … as Henry Kissinger might have offered, peace (of mind) is at hand.

It’s a turnkey system, it has a modest footprint, and it has a manageable price. His hobby isn’t a quest for a “show off” collection of components. He just wants to listen to music. I say “Bravo!”

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Of course, we could have given better advice if we had more details. I have actually visited the Crutchfield in Charlottsville, Va.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I dunno…. It sounds like “Enjoy what you have, but always be on the quest for the next level.” It is a rare personality that can balance themselves this well. For many (perhaps not all), anxiety over the quest would get in the way of true enjoyment.

I'm thoroughly enjoying my system now. This doesn't mean that I don't know what my next two upgrades will be (the quest for the next level):

One is acoustic: exchanging regular ASC TubeTraps for ASC Isothermal Traps in the corner closer to the front wall of my left window bay, for even more bass control (my two front wall corners already have stacked Isothermal Traps).

The other is electronic: a 10 MHz clock into my Mutec reclocker.

However, these will have to wait for one year, I have other fish to fry. I know this is what I want for the future, but it will really just be the icing on the cake. It does not prevent me in any way from enjoying the system as it is.

Currently I am thoroughly preparing for a concert on Friday at the Boston Symphony, where they will play Messiaen's Turangalila Symphony (80 min duration). I love how my system, through my favorite recording, conveys this very large-scale music, allowing me to get to know it rather intimately. It even conveys the power of the music to quite an impressive extent, which is an exhilarating experience (I play at a loud level, not too far from realistic). I am sure, however, that the live experience will top that.

I did have times in the past where anxiety over the quest would get in the way of true enjoyment. This is not the case anymore.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Gee. There's a minute's worth of my solemn advice down the drain. Being bested by a Crutchfield store is a sore blow.

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
About a month ago I sent Marc a list of proposed components, with a couple of alternatives in a couple of categories. I think this group on this thread did a great job whittling down the infinite possibilities to a great stereo components suggestion!

Marc emailed today to report that he faced some unexpected bills, and he had to reduce the total budget to about $4,000. He became concerned about the complexity of putting together a stereo system whose components were sourced by different dealers, with no single dealer taking responsibility for getting the system working.

He visited a brick and mortar Crutchfield store with a singer friend of his who went to Juliard. Crutchfield recommended, and Marc purchased, these components:

Bowers & Wilkins 606 S3

SVS SB-1000 Pro

Dual CS 429

Marantz CD6007

NAD C 368 BluOS-2i

Marc is very happy with the sound of the new system, and he highly recommends Crutchfield!
Looking forward to his vinyl vs CD vs streaming video.

• Haha
Reactions: Al M.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Marc is very happy with the sound of the new system, and he highly recommends Crutchfield!
Not much not to like. Hassle free, full money back audition period and lifetime support on any item purchased from them. One of the best AV online companies there is. Have also had very positive experiences with Listen Up and Music Direct. These two also offer audition / money back guarantees.

Have purchased (and somtimes returned) items from all three and between them, a very broad, diverse range of options depending on your budget.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing