I just suffered through the worst Charley Horse of my life......

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I've suffered from this my entire life, so it seems. The first time it happened I was 16 and in the pool going for my Lifeguard Exam and couldn't continue. I was disqualified for obvious reasons. It then progressed through the years, but it's much more frequent now. Usually, well no...always, I can stretch the calf muscle and the walk it off. I've never had to do anything more than that.

Today however was very different.

It happened early this morning while still asleep (always does for me) and the pain was so severe I wanted to cry. No matter what I did the tightening would not stop, I could not work the knot out with massaging it either or walk it off, and the pain is still there. During the worst of this attack I heard a "pop", but I can't be sure if I felt it as the pain was so severe. Now my calf is considerably swollen and no amount ice or warmth can bring it down. There is no discoloration of the skin. The knot is still there (or whatever you call it) and I can't stretch my calf due the pain. When I do it feels like it wants to go back into spasm.

Probably nothing to worry about, but I thought I'd ask you guys anyway. I will likely go the the Emergency later if it still hasn't subsided.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have suffered from the same including swimming and sleep. The last one I had while sleeping was also the worst and I almost thought I could not relax it back. But I did. During that time, as you, I was in excruciating pain. I can't fathom how painful your situation is if you could not get rid of it. I would certainly go to the emergency room. I hope you a solution and recover fast.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I've suffered from this my entire life, so it seems. The first time it happened I was 16 and in the pool going for my Lifeguard Exam and couldn't continue. I was disqualified for obvious reasons. It then progressed through the years, but it's much more frequent now. Usually, well no...always, I can stretch the calf muscle and the walk it off. I've never had to do anything more than that.

Today however was very different.

It happened early this morning while still asleep (always does for me) and the pain was so severe I wanted to cry. No matter what I did the tightening would not stop, I could not work the knot out with massaging it either or walk it off, and the pain is still there. During the worst of this attack I heard a "pop", but I can't be sure if I felt it as the pain was so severe. Now my calf is considerably swollen and no amount ice or warmth can bring it down. There is no discoloration of the skin. The knot is still there (or whatever you call it) and I can't stretch my calf due the pain. When I do it feels like it wants to go back into spasm.

Probably nothing to worry about, but I thought I'd ask you guys anyway. I will likely go the the Emergency later if it still hasn't subsided.

I can't help but can at least offer empathy - I get them too. In my feet my calves and this one is a killer -- my diaphragm. Try walking that off. i literally get a knot just below the breast bone or ribs. I would have thought I was having a heart attack the first time it happened, but I inherited them from my dad, so I recognized it.

Tim

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I had one while on a plane as it was landing. I had to stand up the whole approach and crouch down at touchdown. It was very painful, hope you are ok.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Hope you're doing better!

Cramping is often linked to electrolyte imbalance, usually deficiency in potassium. Bananas are often used to supply dietary potassium. There are also supplements that can be used.

Lee

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hope you're doing better!

Cramping is often linked to electrolyte imbalance, usually deficiency in potassium. Bananas are often used to supply dietary potassium. There are also supplements that can be used.

Lee

Agreed but it is always the same keg rather than generalized muscle pain.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Rarely have had these calf charlies at night. Wake up with a severe, painful knot in calf, can't undo it, eventually mechanical pushing resolves it but leaves bruising for a week or two.

I could never understand how I can never tighten my muscles voluntarily like that, but the charley does relentlessly.

I cracked my rib cage last Friday paddle boarding on a massive wave explosion that forced the board into my thorax. I think its a big bruise rather than a fracture, because the pain has been getting better, but it is definitely one of those "everything hurts" injuries. It only doesn't hurt if I don't breath and don't move. Mild coughing causes knife stab pain. About 30 percent down five days later, so I think it is intercostal bruising and tearing smush, but still a major pain experience. Round the clock iboprufen, I can now sleep laying down.

I also caught my first wave standing up and riding it in before I had to quit, popped my surf cherry at the tender age of 63.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Gotta get an executive check up John. Best be sure. The blood work should show your K levels.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I just got back and all is well. Bloodwork, blood pressure is fine and an ultrasound showed there is no blood clot, which was one of my biggest concerns. We discussed eating habits, drinking habits, exercise and those things, and it recommended that I increase my potassium. Bananas, coconut water and sports drinks were good ways of getting that. Since I'm not a fan of pills, vitamins included, I'll start with the recommendations made. He give me some percocet for the pain, but it isn't doing anything. Hopefully the swelling will go down soon as well.

The last time I was in this much pain was when I contracted plantar fasciitis in both feet.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I just got back and all is well. Bloodwork, blood pressure is fine and an ultrasound showed there is no blood clot, which was one of my biggest concerns. We discussed eating habits, drinking habits, exercise and those things, and it recommended that I increase my potassium. Bananas, coconut water and sports drinks were good ways of getting that. Since I'm not a fan of pills, vitamins included, I'll start with the recommendations made. He give me some percocet for the pain, but it isn't doing anything. Hopefully the swelling will go down soon as well.

The last time I was in this much pain was when I contracted plantar fasciitis in both feet.

You actually need hair analysis, not bloodwork to determine the mineral deficiency. In any case, it is likely MAGNESIUM, not potassium that is the culprit. You could take an effervescent powder in warm water named Miraculous Magnesium (mag. citrate), but even better would be to take some ionic or Chelated mineral supplement that fills in other mineral gaps you have (like possibly Postassium). Minerals are absorbed best in ionic or amino-acid chelated form, not the useless inorganic chalky tablets sold in pharmacies.

Albion Labs are a great source and they supply many companies with their TRAACS minerals in chelated form. They respect the mineral wheel, where minerals have antagonistic pairs, as too much Calcium supresses Magnesium, and vice-versa.

Oh and if there is a Magnesium deficiency, that could lead to way bigger problems affecting the heart.

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
You actually need hair analysis, not bloodwork to determine the mineral deficiency. In any case, it is likely MAGNESIUM, not potassium that is the culprit. You could take an effervescent powder in warm water named Miraculous Magnesium (mag. citrate), but even better would be to take some ionic or Chelated mineral supplement that fills in other mineral gaps you have (like possibly Postassium). Minerals are absorbed best in ionic or amino-acid chelated form, not the useless inorganic chalky tablets sold in pharmacies.

Albion Labs are a great source and they supply many companies with their TRAACS minerals in chelated form. They respect the mineral wheel, where minerals have antagonistic pairs, as too much Calcium supresses Magnesium, and vice-versa.

Oh and if there is a Magnesium deficeincy, that could lead to way bigger problems affecting the heart.

Thank you. I will check into that. I may have to as the swelling and pain have not subsided.

IMG_0416.JPG

Personal information hidden.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
For the swelling, i would recommend you take a course of Systemic enzymes...it will have many other threapeutic benefits too and is entirely safe.

A great one is Zymesssence, while Medizym,Rejuvenzyme and any other proteolytic formulation with Serrapeptidase in it.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Your Doctor's name is Knott?

Sorry John, I just couldn't resist!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm still chuckling :D

I'm really glad you are feeling better though :)

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Yes, electrolyte deficiencies can cause muscle cramping but leg cramps are very common even without those issues. There are medications people take for this. Was there exercise involved? Do you take medications? Statins? You could try a magnesium supplement, if not contraindicated, but are you treating a single event?

Bruce

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Yes, electrolyte deficiencies can cause muscle cramping but leg cramps are very common even without those issues. There are medications people take for this. Was there exercise involved? Do you take medications? Statins? You could try a magnesium supplement, if not contraindicated, but are you treating a single event?

Bruce

This is a recurring event for me and as I said in my first post, it is happening with more frequency now as opposed to when I was much younger, or even 10 yrs ago (I'm 60 btw.) These spasms only occur during nighttime sleep. I take no medication and/or statins and /or vitamins. I'm also not active enough.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing