I heard my first 200k vinyl system today

It's a shame that is one rock and roll band I never liked. Dylan either , but now Dylan is ok . Maybe someday I will like the dead. Is there LP,s available to buy of old rockers . Like FOGHAT , robin trower ?

Al

It's a shame that is one rock and roll band I never liked. Dylan either , but now Dylan is ok . Maybe someday I will like the dead. Is there LP,s available to buy of old rockers . Like FOGHAT , robin trower ?

Al

Dylan was a master writer, but I never warmed to his performance of his own music. So I got this double album and really enjoy it. Great musicians all playing Dylan music!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006H3MIV8/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks I have about 5 Dylan albums. Desire is my favorite. Myles played one for me . It's sound was stunning and Lou reed
I never heard his voice like on the analog system he had. Now the dead and Dylan always got me dirty looks when I said it did not like them. I always got the impression it was more a cult than a desire .

Al

Al

Seeing the Grateful Dead live was the best way to learn to love the music. The studio stuff didn't do much for me until I saw my first concert in 1985. Sadly the opportunity to see them has long passed. I saw and taped them well over 200 times from '85-'95.

Ok I can say anyone I knew who went to see them live went many times for each event . That was something else I could not understand. I went to many live events when I was young. But just once for each even though they played a few nights at each venue.

Al

Ok I can say anyone I knew who went to see them live went many times for each event . That was something else I could not understand. I went to many live events when I was young. But just once for each even though they played a few nights at each venue.

Al

unlike most big rock bands that play the same set each and every night on tour, Grateful dead would play 4-5 shows before even repeating a song. No set list was the same either. They had an active repertoire of 120 songs per tour on average.

Al

Get the Sunshine Dreams and listen to it on a great analog rig - it may change your mind. I wasn't a fan (since they never came to play live in Singapore), until "The Pizza Tapes". They have a lyrical soul that you'll never get enough of once you've connected. On Sunshine Dreams - listen to Dark Star all the way through (unfortunately on the LP it's split across two sides) and you might understand.

I always heard that too. Not so much the songs but people saying every concert was different. Of all the rock stars I Seaen and it sounds like you seen way more than I . The stones put on the best show with staging and I guess pink Floyd too.

But for complete showmanship of staging and music. My hat goes to three michael Jackson , Madonna and tini turner.
Sadly I never seen Jackson live but a few televised events live.

Al

Just wanted to share my thoughts on our listening session!

It was really great hosting Al. Me thinks Al sells himself a little short and really is a very perceptive listener; he (and Gary) made an excellent point about having both top notch digital and analog front-ends. I'll take the blame for not spinning any classical discs as Al had previously expressed his fondness for R'n'R. The only mistake I made Saturday was starting off with the 45 rpm of Elvis Presley '57 that set a near impossible standard for everything to follow! :)

But we played some damn good rock LPs including Dylan's Freelwheelin', Cat Stevens TFTT, Pink Floyd DSOTM, Paul Simon Rhymin' Simon and Graceland, Lou Reed Transformer, Neil Young Live at the Cellar Door (arrived that day), a 45 rpm test pressing of Shelby Lynne, etc. On the jazz side, we did some 33/45/tape comparisons of Benny Carter Jazz Giant and Kenny Burrell Midnight Blue. Indeed, it seemed these comparisons, really showed off the dynamic ability of the analog recordings and the turntable/arm/cartridge/phono section combo (IMHO especially the dynamics of phono section.) Now I might be wrong but the tape highlight of the day was the Cyndee Peters Black is the Color cut from the recently released Opus 3 sampler tape (now also available as a 1 or 2X DSD download for a mere $13.) Then we finished up with some audiophile faves including Imada's Now, Mallets, Melody and Mayhem as well as Ameniya's Summer Prayer.

As Al reported, I just sat there and let him enjoy himself. There was no need for me to sell him on the sound of the analog front-end; it sold itself. :) And as I said before, I'm always happy to help someone else spend their money! :) It seemed to me out of all the things Al was hearing Saturday, he was most impressed by the information and detail retrieved from each and every recording. Not to mention, every recording really sounded very different.

Anyone other WBF members in the area or passing through are more than welcome to drop me a line and come by like Al!

Myles the only downside of the day was leaving . And I should of made more time for the event. Do you know I do not have one Elvis album. I just looked for one today. Almost 7 TB and no Elvis. How can he leave the building if he never got here .
The more I think about the vinyl and reels it's not just analog it's playing . It's nostalgia and coming to realize it's far better than I ever remembered it as. Myles is cool guy to be around very smart and relaxed at the same time. What I got there I was nervous as how to talk what I should say or not. I will be back on 4/24/2014. So any Saturday that is possible would be fine by me. And anyone you wish to be there fine by me as well. One of the last things we talked about ws price of the records and the reels. The records seem cheap for what they are. The reels are more than what I thought . A saving grace is a forum like this to help pick out the great ones. But I also can see myself just being happy to play a new purchase .

Gary l koh. A while back you did a post on a vinyl album I think it was bass detailed album. You loved it and someone had given you the album.

Thanks agAin all here and expcially Myles and Gary. I would hope we all cpuld hang one day together .

Al

Myles
Will happily take up your offer on my next visit to the Big Apple.
The audiophile favs you mentioned, Imada and Ameniya, are these specific tracks or albums ?
Best
Pradeep

Gary l koh. A while back you did a post on a vinyl album I think it was bass detailed album. You loved it and someone had given you the album.

Al

Someone giving me the album with bass detail doesn't ring any bells - may be this one?

Cities of the Future.jpg

Not the one. I think it was at from the founder Steve at his house or something
It might have been a disk and not vinyl.
It was a orange color cover. But thanks
For trying
Al

Yes that is the one. Is it a available to buy
??
Thanks so much for taking the time to find it.
Al

Al

If you are going to look into the Grateful Dead, 'American Beauty' seems a good place to start.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing