I heard my first 200k vinyl system today

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have a Rhino pressing of American Beauty (played once). I'm not a fan of the Dead at all, but wanted to take another stab at it. I shouldn't have...I still don't care for them. I'll gladly trade it for something else.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I have a Rhino pressing of American Beauty (played once). I'm not a fan of the Dead at all, but wanted to take another stab at it. I shouldn't have...I still don't care for them. I'll gladly trade it for something else.

Wow you can't get into Sugar Magnolia?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I like a few and sugar mag is one . I will try them some time again. Is the pink Floyd album shown in this thread the pink Floyd I know . Like dark side of the moon. I must have about 20 albums of them in various formats , but I never seen that one before .
Al

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

OK...lets start at the closest thing to 'pop/rock' music (besides 'Touch of Grey')...how about 'Truckin' '? Just curious as to what you think. I feel like you need to find the 'thread' that makes Dead music great...but its hard to find it sometimes. You still may not like it in the end, but I have found sometimes when you approach music from the right perspective... you 'get it'...and then you can enjoy it. Make any sense?

Let us know what you think about 'Truckin' '. I think Sugar Magnolia is great...but I could see people who are not into Dead not quite getting it on first try. Then try 'Casey Jones'....

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I think like most all groups they have a sound that is there's . As there music is not annoying , it's just plain to me. Even pink Floyd who I love has that same quality . I can listen to them but after about 45 mins . I'm done.

I can think of many other groups that this does not happen too. And keep,on mind I listen to new music that I have no idea who they are all the time. I do this to find great sounding music. Genre does not matter much. I will give them another try
As there is so many people who love them I keep thinking I must be missing something .

The link below proves my point it is music I never would have purchased if it were not for it's quality. After playing them a few times now I love them.

http://www.amazon.com/Worlds-Greatest-Audiophile-Vocal-Recordings/dp/B000HIVOFU

Now the music Myles played for me on his system was so excellent I cannot wait to buy them. And over time I am sure I will learn to love them.

Al

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
OK...lets start at the closest thing to 'pop/rock' music (besides 'Touch of Grey')...how about 'Truckin' '? Just curious as to what you think. I feel like you need to find the 'thread' that makes Dead music great...but its hard to find it sometimes. You still may not like it in the end, but I have found sometimes when you approach music from the right perspective... you 'get it'...and then you can enjoy it. Make any sense?

Let us know what you think about 'Truckin' '. I think Sugar Magnolia is great...but I could see people who are not into Dead not quite getting it on first try. Then try 'Casey Jones'....

I'll tell you what I'll do. First, I'll give American Beauty another listen over the weekend and I'll search out some of the other songs you mentioned and try to to into it with an open mind (again). I know that through the decades I've heard some that I may like, although I can't name the titles, but I can say that about other bands as well. A few songs here, a few songs there, but not enough for me to truly get into them. I'll get back to you.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
As there is so many people who love them I keep thinking I must be missing something .

The link below proves my point it is music I never would have purchased if it were not for it's quality. After playing them a few times now I love them.

Al

Very true. Myles played an album for me - Rashomon - that I bought even before leaving his place. Butoh is an art form that is difficult to understand how anyone could like. However, after going to my first performance at the Singapore Arts Festival, I seek out new experiences in Butoh. Rashomon was the soundtrack to "Butoh-light", and I am hoping that I can use it to interest my kids so that when I bring them to their first real performance (I haven't seen anything appear in Seattle yet) they would be on the way to understanding and liking.

Here's an example from Sankai Juku - the first group I watched.

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
I'll tell you what I'll do. First, I'll give American Beauty another listen over the weekend and I'll search out some of the other songs you mentioned and try to to into it with an open mind (again). I know that through the decades I've heard some that I may like, although I can't name the titles, but I can say that about other bands as well. A few songs here, a few songs there, but not enough for me to truly get into them. I'll get back to you.

A suggestion for you as an entre into a deeper appreciation for the Grateful Dead: their best work is recordings of their shows. It demonstrates their musicianship and cohesiveness as a band. But - that is not a very good place to start. A lot of people start with "American Beauty" and "Workingman's Dead". I suggest that you get a copy of "Postcards From the Hanging". I don't think it's ever been issued in vinyl so you may have to listen to the CD or a download. "Postcards" is an entire album of the Grateful Dead doing the music of Bob Dylan. Most of it is live and this way you can hear GD's style but listen to tunes you may already be familiar with if you like Bob Dylan.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
It was this CD that got me into the Grateful Dead.

I bought it purely because I was intrigued by the story - that a pizza delivery boy stole the tapes of an informal hang-out and jam from Jerry Garcia's kitchen. What was recorded was so joyful and brought across how much the musicians enjoyed playing with each other that I just got sucked into the soul. I'm still not a "Deadhead" as I don't even own "American Beauty", but I do enjoy all their live recordings (and have downloaded a couple of bootlegs).

http://www.amazon.com/Pizza-Tapes-Garcia/dp/B00004SBZ6

41WJY4WHV1L.jpg

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
A suggestion for you as an entre into a deeper appreciation for the Grateful Dead: their best work is recordings of their shows. It demonstrates their musicianship and cohesiveness as a band. But - that is not a very good place to start. A lot of people start with "American Beauty" and "Workingman's Dead". I suggest that you get a copy of "Postcards From the Hanging". I don't think it's ever been issued in vinyl so you may have to listen to the CD or a download. "Postcards" is an entire album of the Grateful Dead doing the music of Bob Dylan. Most of it is live and this way you can hear GD's style but listen to tunes you may already be familiar with if you like Bob Dylan.

Especially when Jerry was stoned out of his gourd and forgets the words to a song :)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Jeez...I get the feeling that unless I like me some GD I won't to allowed to the club no more. :(

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hey John, the only club you should be thinking about these days is Oranje! :D

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
It was this CD that got me into the Grateful Dead.

I bought it purely because I was intrigued by the story - that a pizza delivery boy stole the tapes of an informal hang-out and jam from Jerry Garcia's kitchen. What was recorded was so joyful and brought across how much the musicians enjoyed playing with each other that I just got sucked into the soul. I'm still not a "Deadhead" as I don't even own "American Beauty", but I do enjoy all their live recordings (and have downloaded a couple of bootlegs).

http://www.amazon.com/Pizza-Tapes-Garcia/dp/B00004SBZ6

View attachment 15246
Great album...great story behind it!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing