How Many Switches . . .

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
another meaningless wanker thread IMO
Isn't "wanker" a bit of a strong word for this? :eek:

Why comment at all if you find this thread meaningless? :rolleyes:

I mean it won't bring anyone further in the pursuit of sonic bliss but it won't harm anyone either ;)

Reactions: Lee and Lagonda

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Isn't "wanker" a bit of a strong word for this? :eek:

Why comment at all if you find this thread meaningless? :rolleyes:

I mean it won't bring anyone further in the pursuit of sonic bliss but it won't harm anyone either ;)

Christoph , I believe Leif meant to post that on the *Natural Sound* thread ;)

• Haha
Reactions: bonzo75 and Lagonda
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
because it´s presented as high status the amount of switches one has to flip to start the system;the more components, the merrier
my father is stronger than yours syndrome....outright childish and and meaningless

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
because it´s presented as high status the amount of switches one has to flip to start the system;the more components, the merrier
my father is stronger than yours syndrome....outright childish and and meaningless

Except that the OP bemoaned that with its many switches his system was too complicated.

Quite the opposite from what you insinuate.

Reactions: christoph

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Except that the OP bemoaned that with its many switches his system was too complicated.

the more he gets into sets (he is already into analog), the more his system will simplify. This thread was just a foundation to justify the reason to switch

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
I did not read it as a mark of high status. I read it as exasperation tied to the complexity of a system that has been kluged together based on a lot of free “expert advice.”

Recognizing the problem (too much complexity) is the first step toward the solution.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I did not read it as a mark of high status. I read it as exasperation tied to the complexity of a system that has been kluged together based on a lot of free “expert advice.”

Recognizing the problem (too much complexity) is the first step toward the solution.

Why do you think the system has been "kluged together"? If you read Ron's list, there is some logic to the complexity. It didn't seem "kluged together" to me based on its sound either, which I have heard in person.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
Why do you think the system has been "kluged together"? If you read Ron's list, there is some logic to the complexity. It didn't seem "kluged together" to me based on its sound either, which I have heard in person.
I’m sure it’s great. Kluge carries more negativity than I would like to exhibit. So point taken.

Still, the system is complex. The psychoacoustics could go either way.

Reactions: Al M.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
One remote wi-fi relay to start up compressor in the attic, wait a couple of minutes and then push one button on TT controller. One switch to turn on preamp, then one switch more after 10 seconds to choose input. 2 switches for Io phono ( when it works). One switch for power up PS audio regenerator one more to start it up so it can power electrostatic speakers and active crossover one more switch to start that up. 3 switches on the back of each MBL mono amps, one more on the front of each thereafter (don't mess up the sequence on the back of the MBL's, it will blow the internal fuses, don't switch on the crossover before PS audio has settled, it will blow its internal fuse) 8 switches on amps alone. So a total of 17 switches for TT play only ! o_O

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: PYP and Ron Resnick

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
We have a Hyundai Kona 2022 (our Nissan got stolen a few months ago) and it has a nice complement of buttons and a big multi-functional screen. The biggest issue is the woman in the dashboard screaming at you or ringing bells with a million and one warnings. It even randomly tells you to stop for coffee. We have disabled all these systems.

The Kona 2023 is all flat screen. Looks a nightmare.

Hopefully no one will do hifi that tells you it's 2am and time to go to bed.
I have driven a Kona that would project a speedometer avatar on the windshield right in your field of vision, really annoying ! :oops:

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
So a total of 17 switches for TT play only
...just for context:
Before-Takeoff Checklist
  • Auxiliary fuel pump — Off
  • Flight controls — Free and correct
  • Instruments and radios — Checked and set
  • Landing gear position lights — Checked
  • Altimeter — Set
  • Directional gyro — Set
  • Fuel gauges — Checked
  • Trim — Set
  • Propeller — Exercise
  • Magnetos — Checked
  • Engine idle — checked
  • Flaps — As required
  • Seat belts/shoulder harnesses — Fastened
  • Parking brake — Off
Final items
  • Doors and windows — Locked
  • Mixture — Full rich unless above 3,000 feet msl
  • Lights — Landing, taxi, strobes on
  • Camera — Transponder on
  • Action — Engine instruments checked

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
My amp automatically mutes when music is not played for 15 minutes or so. It consumes practically no power when muted, and automatically restarts when music is played. So it can stay plugged in 24/7. My source is a raspberryPi 3 a+ that I could leave on all the time, but don't.
So potentially I could have nothing to switch but the volume control.

Then again, I don't regularly play vinyl. When I do, I have more buttons to push. It's part of the charm of vinyl.

crosswind

Jun 6, 2021
Svartskog, Greater Oslo, Norway
...just for context:
Before-Takeoff Checklist
  • Auxiliary fuel pump — Off
  • Flight controls — Free and correct
  • Instruments and radios — Checked and set
  • Landing gear position lights — Checked
  • Altimeter — Set
  • Directional gyro — Set
  • Fuel gauges — Checked
  • Trim — Set
  • Propeller — Exercise
  • Magnetos — Checked
  • Engine idle — checked
  • Flaps — As required
  • Seat belts/shoulder harnesses — Fastened
  • Parking brake — Off
Final items
  • Doors and windows — Locked
  • Mixture — Full rich unless above 3,000 feet msl
  • Lights — Landing, taxi, strobes on
  • Camera — Transponder on
  • Action — Engine instruments checked
As with hifi, it doesn’t have to be so complicated. Here is my Before Takeoff CL.

IMG_1898.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: MarkusBarkus

Carlsbad

Dec 11, 2022
Carlsbad, CA USA
3 switches: Tube amp master power, DAC power via remote, Click chosen song in Roon.
(streamer is always on).

Now to play a movie is much more coplicated:
1. Switch tube amp on.
2. Switch inputs on amp.
3. Turn on DVD player.
4. Turn on AVR.
5. Select DVD player on AVR.
6. Turn on TV.
7. Push input on TV remote.
8. Select AVR input to TV.
9. Turn on DVD Player.
10. Open tray and insert disc
11. Close tray
12. Hit play.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Simple systems 2 clicks on remotes. Preamp with Amps through preamp trigger link. One to turn on the CD. Subwoofers signal power-up

Basement

Complicated.

All analog EQ and Crossovers always on.

Remote to power processor and LRC amps through trigger link.

5 amps to turn on 4 for active 4 way mains and 1 for LFE subwoofers

One to power either source.

Music!!!

Rob :)

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
I have driven a Kona that would project a speedometer avatar on the windshield right in your field of vision, really annoying ! :oops:
I’m not sure that tops the BMW- when ours makes the determination that you’re tailgating the heads up display projects a blinking red picture of the rear of a car with an X through it- then an over exaggerated exclamation mark. And as far as buttons go- I still don’t know how to turn on 1/2 the stuff that car is claimed to possess!

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
How many switches? I’ve got it easy. One button on the main remote turns on preamp and amplifier. One power switch on each dac and one switch on each for the appropriate input. Music server and streamer are both controlled from the IPad. Playing a physical disc adds one more button press and loading the disc but that is becoming a rare occasion these days.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
. . . do you have to throw and buttons do you have to push and knobs do you have to twist before music comes out of your loudspeakers?
Just 2.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing