How Many Switches . . .

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . do you have to throw and buttons do you have to push and knobs do you have to twist before music comes out of your loudspeakers?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I think I count fifteen (15). That's seems like a lot! This thing is too complicated.

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
If I'm at my PC or whatever, I click or touch the app icon and then click the Play icon to listen to what's previously been playing. No physical switches - the streamer powers itself up with the app's prompt and this triggers the amps in my speakers. If on my feet, it's one touch of a button on the streamer, then a second touch of it's LED screen to select music source. That's it!

What's your start up routine?

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
If I'm at my PC or whatever, I click or touch the app icon and then click the Play icon to listen to what's previously been playing. No physical switches - the streamer powers itself up with the app's prompt and this triggers the amps in my speakers. If on my feet, it's one touch of a switch on the streamer, then a second touch of it's LED screen to select music source. That's it!

That's easy!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
to play records:

3 AVAA switches

2 Io buttons

1 pre-amp button

2 woofer tower switches

4 panel tower amplifier switches

1 turntable power supply switch

1 turntable speed selector button

1 pre-amp volume knob

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
to play records:

3 AVAA switches

2 Io buttons

1 pre-amp button

2 woofer tower switches

1 pre-amp volume knob

just to start up. How many while changing records. Mike has a routine where he mutes, turns up the light, changes records, changes cart, changes dial on phono for that cart, puts off light, unmutes

Reactions: Alrainbow

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
4-6 depending on source.

I leave the DAC on so really I usually just hit power on phono stage, line stage, turntable, then amp. So four to get things going.

For the records I gave two more, one to engage the Continuum vacuum hold-down, and one select turntable speed. (There is an optional third on switch which shine a blue led on the front panel of the Continuum which I turn on for visitors only.)

It's pretty easy.

Reactions: Johan K

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
my sub tower amps, both digital chassis, 4 Taiko Tana anti-resonance devices, and NVS tt power are always on unless i'm out of town---11 buttons.

so in addition to those 11.......

for digital listening only; 3 buttons plus select a track---preamp on, amp 1, amp 2.

for NVS listening only vinyl---6 buttons---tt light, preamp on, move selector to proper phono input for arm, hit play on tt, amp 1, amp 2.

tape listening only----10 buttons----both decks, all 4 preamps, preamp, switch for 1/4" or 1/2", preamp, amp 1, amp 2.

using all tt's vinyl only-----13 buttons---turn on CS Port and T1, DaVa PS, FCL PS, 5th Taiko Tana anti-resonance, 2 power supplies of the EMIA, preamp, amp 1, amp 2. plus each of three anti-static device as i use it.

i do leave the CS Port and T1 spinning while doing a vinyl session more than just with the NVS.

lots of buttons. turning things off is something i pay close attention to, then check my work.

shadowlight

Oct 27, 2016
Digital Playback (Roon Core and Roon Endpoint is always powered on) - 5

- Dac
- Integrated Power on
- Source (DAC or Phono)
- Volume Control
- Tablet to select music

Analog Playback - 5

- Turntable
- Phono Preamp
- Integrated Power on
- Source (DAC or Phono)
- Volume Control

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
Often none - when I listen with Amazon HD via Alexa, or the same system with Roon
Digital - 2 - DAC and integrated amplifier + Sense app
Analogue - 2 - turntable and integrated amplifier

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
to play records:

3 AVAA switches

2 Io buttons

1 pre-amp button

2 woofer tower switches

1 pre-amp volume knob
Ron, you're so pressing my buttons now.

Republicoftexas69

One. I leave all my SS equipment powered up.

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Gosh, with some of these double-digit numbers of switches, you must be very keen to listen to music! And leaving stuff on 24/7 must add a lot to your electricity bills. My full system "standby" consumpton is a worrying 1.0 watts!

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Does anyone use remotes ?
turning on a system can have an order to follow
one wrong move can be catastrophic to speakers.
the 6 home pods in my home office is very simple.
Roon on an iPad to control roon server to homepods.
does this insult anyone
I even play vinyl to Roon radio to HomePods lol.
vinyl even like this is a pain but I use a auto lift to help.

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
Three. Amp, pre-amp with onboard phono, turntable. To me, simple is good.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing