How do I clean dust off of a cantilever?

IanG-UK

Apr 11, 2011

assessor43

Nov 1, 2018
I ended up having to use liquid cleaner to get the hardened debris off of the cantilever. sounds much better now. I allowed it to thoroughly dry before playing any records.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I removed my SME 3012R headshell from the arm at the rear of the table and noticed a bunch of dust on the cantilever and tiny wires around the coils of my vdh cartridge. I used a small, very soft painter's brush to carefully wipe away the dust. Tough because those vdh wires are so thin and everything is so exposed. The process was made much easier because of the removable headshell.

When finished, the cartridge looked brand new. I think the dust was from my Magic Eraser abrasive pad. I was quite surprised that the sound improved. I wonder if the dust on the coils really made such a difference or if simply removing the headshell from the armwand cleaned the contacts a bit. Regardless, sound improved.

I have never seen "hardened debris" on my cantilever. Only dust particles that are easily removed. The stylus is a different matter. The vdh stylus is radically different in size and shape from my MySonicLab and AirTight stylii. The latter two are much longer with a more defined shape and under magnification, they are much easier to view to confirm cleanliness.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

Simon Moon

Apr 24, 2015
I've had good results with Onzow Zerodust.

Fremer likes it, too (for whatever that's worth).

Analog Planet

Last edited:

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
I tried a vacuum cleaner several times on my Benz’s carts with excellent results and absolutely no issues. Try this if you dare.:D

redandgold

Jun 3, 2018
I clean after every LP side with DS Audio ST50-pad and after 5-6 sides with LAST. Often a the dust close to the stylus leaves the cantilever. If the dust remains under the cantilever, I use a brush always in direction to front. Hard to remove are dust filaments on top of cantilever or between body and cantilever. The brush is too big and IMO to dangerous. There I blow strongly with my mouth and up to now the dust left my cart. A can I feared to be to dangerous....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing