Heard the Magico S5's yesterday

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Stereo, are you saying that a silk dome rings??? Have you actually heard the silk dome that Wilson is now using ( or are you simply shooting out any old 'BS'?) ....I have and I can tell you I do NOT hear it ringing.

stereo2

Nov 11, 2013
Stereo, are you saying that a silk dome rings??? Have you actually heard the silk dome that Wilson is now using ( or are you simply shooting out any old 'BS'?) ....I have and I can tell you I do NOT hear it ringing.

To answer your question: no, it is not ringing. My explanation on "ringing" was for the previous Focal metal dome.
Problem with silk dome is different: non pistonic behavior due to lack of stiffness, which leads to IMD

Last edited by a moderator:

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
Guys, why you don't just do your homework? there are tons of video on line. If you are interested to know the science behind the marketing pitch of different brands, it is not very difficult to find. Problem is that most people have no interest.
Here an example:
http://www.wilsonaudio.com/videos.php?page=2
watch at 2:15

I asked:

"If you moved away from WA six years ago, how do know what parts they're using in their current XOs, which are potted?"

You posted:

"they show the parts they are using in their videos..."

The WA video link you show in this post, doesn't show any XO parts.

Don't know why the administrator has blocked stereo's account, but for those who want to follow stereo on AudioAficionado.org, his username is jazzman.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
To answer your question: no, it is not ringing. My explanation on "ringing" was for the previous Focal metal dome.
Problem with silk dome is different: non pistonic behavior due to lack of stiffness, which leads to IMD

Stereo, Mep asked you a similar question....however, mine is how do you know that non-pistonic behavior leads to IMD?
Since the silk dome is not ringing are you saying that you can hear the IMD, because IF that is so, perhaps you could elaborate.

Last edited by a moderator:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
stereo2 said:
Apparently our dear (Wilson owner) administrator has blocked my account. Seems that trying to have a fact based discussion is not welcome. I will therefore stop posting here and spend my time on audioaficionado.

Hello and good morning to you, stereo2. The management team here at the WBF will be reviewing why your account was deleted/blocked. Please accept our sincere apologies if a technical glitch or human mistake was made with regards to your account here at the WBF. I can assure you that you were not blocked because of the reason(s) you have described. Both the administrators and management team hold themselves to a higher standard than that and all factual based discussion is welcome here at the WBF.

Please note that some posts have been edited so that we can keep the current discussion on topic.

Tom

caesar

May 30, 2010
Awesome thread, guys!!!!!!!!!!! So many different emotional strings being hit....Great entertainment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Being an outsider - neither a Magico nor a Wilson owner, nor a want-to-be owner (ok, to be perfectly honest, if someone gave me Alexandrias X2.2 or XLF for free, I wouldn't turn them down. I would play them for 2 months, sell them, and get the MBL X-tremes!), let us let go of the knee jerk response from our lizard brain and look at things form a more rational angle. Here's my exchange with a member (Alon Wolf himself???), a while back to bring things to normalcy:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...ormance-series&p=138849&viewfull=1#post138849

And no, I don't hate Magico. And I don't love Wilson. Yet, wouldn't it be cool if Magico had better sonic distinction between their analytic line, Q series, that appeals to engineers and reviewers (would anyone have imagined the Absolute Sound losing their reputation and becoming the Analytic Sound?!!), and made the S series speakers to sound more like real music, kind of what it sounds like when you walk into a jazz club or a blues bar? And wouldn't it be cool if the Wilsons sounded as good in a regular setting, playing normal, real music as they do playing Peter McGrath's digital recordings or Bruce Brown's analog tapes. After all, play any material from those gentlemen on a pair of quad 57's, sitting in a garage for the last 45 years, undusted, and they will give many Wilsons a good challenge...

We are in real trouble when engineers get so passionate about a design they lose all their rational faculties, and Wilson owner feelings get hurt when their babies are called ugly....

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
stereo (and stereo2):

Your original account was not locked or banned. I cannot find any reason on our end that you were unable to access the forum. That said, I believe that your comments have been inappropriate and disrupting the forum IS a violation of the Terms of Service. We have valued your many contributions here highly, and the recent "Magico vs. Wilson" comments have been unlike you. Please conduct your discussions with the Terms of Service in mind, and realize that each member is free to choose their own brand(s) of preferred equipment. Any more violations of the TOS will be dealt with by administrative action.

Thanks,

Lee

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Hello and good morning to you, stereo2. The management team here at the WBF will be reviewing why your account was deleted/blocked. Please accept our sincere apologies if a technical glitch or human mistake was made with regards to your account here at the WBF. I can assure you that you were not blocked because of the reason(s) you have described. Both the administrators and management team hold themselves to a higher standard than that and all factual based discussion is welcome here at the WBF.

Please note that some posts have been edited so that we can keep the current discussion on topic.

Tom

This is comforting to hear!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Tom

Stereo, I'm sorry to read that you will no longer be posting here. I've really enjoyed reading your contributions. And I was especially looking forward to your future postings about the arrival and listening impressions of the Magico Ultimate 3. As a fellow Magico owner, I assure you that you will be missed on this forum. I will try to follow you on other sites. I'm sorry this became a Magico/Wilson thing.

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
stereo (and stereo2):

Your original account was not locked or banned. I cannot find any reason on our end that you were unable to access the forum. That said, I believe that your comments have been inappropriate and disrupting the forum IS a violation of the Terms of Service. We have valued your many contributions here highly, and the recent "Magico vs. Wilson" comments have been unlike you. Please conduct your discussions with the Terms of Service in mind, and realize that each member is free to choose their own brand(s) of preferred equipment. Any more violations of the TOS will be dealt with by administrative action.

Thanks,

Lee
Let's put the facts straight: I have been able to connect on this website without problem for more than a year. Less than 3hrs after Steve Williams sends a post that I should post much less my login gets cancelled. I try to connect using 2 different internet connections, same issue. Then I create a new account Stereo2, send one post. 3hrs later the account is also cancelled and I cannot access it anymore. I try again with a 3rd internet connection in a different city, same problem. I don't believe in coincidences. "Somebody", maybe under the call of company "XXXX" decided that this discussion was getting too dangerous. Not good to have somebody put facts on the table - not good for relationship with vendors, and even less good when the site owner is a self-proclaimed Wilson owner and fan.
Then "somebody else" in admin team read again my posts and realized that there was no fact base to block my account:
- I only reacted to a personal opinion that Alexia is a 10 speaker and S5 only a 9.5. This was posted on a Magico forum, so I believe I am entitled to react and give my opinion if I disagree with this statement.
- I believe that personal opinions are meaningless. I hope that nobody is stupid enough to buy a speaker because Mr X or Y on a random forum says it is a great speaker. To have a more interesting debate, I have put some facts on the table, and have tried to explain the technical problems raised by different technologies- and in particular the technological choices of the Alexia (since the thread turned into Alexia vs. S5). This was welcomed with a wave of outrage. My opinion was dismissed as "insulting" and reflecting my lack of knowledge of the brand.
- I still have to wait for a single post which shows me where I was wrong. Several people launched personal attacks on me (if you really want to see violation of TOS, read back), none was able to explain me where I was misinformed on Wilson designs and where I make a mistake on my understanding of law of physics (for example stating that a woofer paper cone or a soft dome are not pistonic at all, which leads to distortion).
- I still have to understand where I have violated the TOS. Please pm me with more info.

I realized too late that trying to get a fact based discussion is meaningless: it pisses off fan boys of the brand discussed, and test my patience because I don't know how to better explain why a soft membrane cannot behave in a pistonic way, so I tend to become frustrated which is not good on a forum discussion.

Now on a broader note, I personally believe that WBF is clearly applying a double standard:
1) If you tend to post too many positive posts on Magico you are suspicious in the eyes of site owners. It took the admin less than 2 weeks to contact me and ask me to justify my identity because "my Magico posting were suspicious". I am posting on Magico and Dartzeel forums because these are the brands I own. I posted a bit on EA because I owned the brand long enough to know it well. I don't see what is suspicious with that. Please take note that I am never posting on the Wilson forum (it is not my brand, I have no interest for it), whereas any new thread on Magico forums get its share of dismissive comments from the usual Wilson (administrators) fan boys: Bruce, Steve, etc -talking about neutrality from admin...
2) There was a very funny episode on the EA forum where a poor guy got accused of being the "hidden Alon Wolf", with several very dismissive comments on the real Alon Wolf from the site owner, Steve William. Bottom line, administrator had to apologize when they could validate the identity of the person in question- which apparently was not Alon Wolf. I don't find this very professional from a site which is proud of its neutrality. Read again the posts if you really want to find an example of violation of TOS.
3) any fact based discussion on technologies used in Wilson speakers is welcomed with a warning, whereas (as it should be!) you can freely criticize a Magico design on the Magico forums without an intervention from the admin (read the thread on the Q-sub- I personally welcome the discussion and the difference of opinions but I hope that the same would be allowed across the website.
Just my opinion
Lets move on now.

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
Stereo, I'm sorry to read that you will no longer be posting here. I've really enjoyed reading your contributions. And I was especially looking forward to your future postings about the arrival and listening impressions of the Magico Ultimate 3. As a fellow Magico owner, I assure you that you will be missed on this forum. I will try to follow you on other sites. I'm sorry this became a Magico/Wilson thing.

Don't worry, I am building my own website to share what I learned on my room design as well as the system set up. I realized I am getting a lot of questions on it so it would be easier to write down the full journey. It will be up in 2-3mths. If you come to Taiwan, you are welcome to visit.

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
A few months back, I had the pleasure of listening to the new Polymer audio speakers. These are made from some of the "supposed" best parts in the world....Pure diamond tweeter AND midrange, Dueland CAST components, 6061 Aluminum parts and all metal alloy cabinets. I would be surprised IF anyone believed that the parts and the cabinet utilized in this speaker were not first order. However, IMO these speakers were simply not that great. They seemed to have VERY little of the "human" factor that I look for in music reproduction. So, once again, I do NOT believe that parts quality and construction technique/rigidity of the cabinet are all that is necessary to make a great speaker. I hate to say this.....BUT there seems to be a certain amount of art/ design experience involved along with the science. IMHO.
Completely agree with you. Parts used is only part of the story, you need also an experienced designer.
But even with a good designer, you cannot transform tin in gold- unfortunately, that's why this hobby is expensive!

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
stereo,

I am not a Magico or Wilson owner. My response is directed at your comment about "teaching 10 year olds", nothing more. As I stated, your contributions are highly valued here. You are obviously welcome to post as much technical information about equipment as you like. It would help to refrain from continuing on to make subjective value statements about said gear. We sincerely hope that others participating in this thread will also see this "line" clearly. I know that I personally am very excited for you to receive your new Ultimates, and look forward to reading further reports.

Thanks,

Lee

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
stereo,

I am not a Magico or Wilson owner. My response is directed at your comment about "teaching 10 year olds", nothing more. As I stated, your contributions are highly valued here. You are obviously welcome to post as much technical information about equipment as you like. It would help to refrain from continuing on to make subjective value statements about said gear. We sincerely hope that others participating in this thread will also see this "line" clearly. I know that I personally am very excited for you to receive your new Ultimates, and look forward to reading further reports.

Thanks,

Lee
I apologize for my comment on "teaching 10 years old"- as I wrote, when people don't WANT to understand, it is a loss of time to try to explain... so I shouldn't get frustrated about it.
But I would appreciate also if you re-read the thread and have a look at all the personal attacks or dismissive comments I had to deal with.
This all thread derailed when mbovaird started to write this:
"to answer your question of why I prefer the Alexia over the S5? Because smart ass, I own both of these speakers and you own which one? Neither. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it."
and you believe this is ok? again, double standard.

If I would have written the same on the Wilson forum I would have been already banned
But as I said, let's move on and go back to our hobby!

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
What I don't understand is why stereo is being treated differently than others - a simple slip of the tongue and he's cautioned and warned (scorned, really) publicly; why not just delete the comment and send a PM, like mods usually do - after all, he's not a repeat offender. I am sensing quite a bit of anger by the mods lately, if this incident and shutting down that other Shunyata thread is another indication. So my advice: please slow down the public rhetoric, treat everyone equally, don't shut down threads where facts (and pics) are being presented, so that members won't be considering withdrawing from the board.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
don't shut down threads where facts (and pics) are being presented, so that members won't be considering withdrawing from the board.

I didn't see where stereo presented any facts about the Alexia's, other than it has a silk dome tweeter and paper woofer.

The last he has owned Wilson is 6 or 7 years ago. Hell.. I didn't like the Wilson sound before the WP7/Sophia came out. Nothing new here.

Stereo... you do know I have other speakers beside Wilson that I am a fan of.

BiggusD

Nov 10, 2013
stereo - I am so glad you are back :) I really like read your posts! I am in awe of your custom made listening room and your forthcoming Ultimate 3's! Thanks!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
What I don't understand is why stereo is being treated differently than others - a simple slip of the tongue and he's cautioned and warned (scorned, really) publicly; why not just delete the comment and send a PM, like mods usually do - after all, he's not a repeat offender. I am sensing quite a bit of anger by the mods lately, if this incident and shutting down that other Shunyata thread is another indication. So my advice: please slow down the public rhetoric, treat everyone equally, don't shut down threads where facts (and pics) are being presented, so that members won't be considering withdrawing from the board.

I concur with this reasonable suggestion. I wondered what happened to that Shunyata thread about quality control. That, too, was interesting.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I concur with this reasonable suggestion. I wondered what happened to that Shunyata thread about quality control. That, too, was interesting.

I would be happy to reopen that one. In my zeal with the problem solved I didn't feel there was anything more to discuss

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I would be happy to reopen that one. In my zeal with the problem solved I didn't feel there was anything more to discuss

Perhaps there was little more to discuss, but the records have been deleted for future reference.

I must have missed the resolution to the problem before the thread was deleted. As I recall, there was an issue about a particular cable being unsafe and Shunyata saying something about it being a beta version or something that was old but couldn't understand why it was still in the field etc, etc. Regardless of who the manufacturer is, if a forum member raises a QC issue in a public forum with legitimate concern which may be of interest to others who are considering the brand, and the thread is then deleted, there is no record out there that there was ever a problem. It leaves the impression that these forums are not truly "open" and that there are "interests" involved. Anyway, this is off topic and probably better addressed elsewhere.

Sorry to divert attention away from the S5 discussion.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing