Status
Not open for further replies.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Further breaking information from a friend of HP's:

Harry Pearson's new project is called HPsoundings and the website and blog will kick off early in October. More information to follow and see us a RMAF. If you are interested in advertising on the site please contact me.

www.hpsoundings.com

Harry is working and writing and has recovered from his surgery back in March. THe new project will get its kick off this week at RMAF and I hope to see many of you there. Its an exciting time to be involved since HP has the fire back in his belly and wants more than ever to write. We all know that he is HP and no one else is.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I had a coffee with HP at CES I beleive, 20 minutes or so...I was absorbing all I could, I was so tense that I am sure missed something in our conversation. I wish him luck in this new venture.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I had a coffee with HP at CES I beleive, 20 minutes or so...I was absorbing all I could, I was so tense that I am sure missed something in our conversation. I wish him luck in this new venture.

A sign of things to come .. HP "new" essays , they will be on his web site likely ... Scroll down to the end of the web page, first few posts are garbage :

HERE

and

THERE

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
A sign of things to come .. HP "new" essays , they will be on his web site likely ... Scroll down to the end of the web page, first few posts are garbage :

HERE

and

THERE

Ye Gads! They were young in that picture. I never formally met HP, and spoke to J Gordon once years ago by phone- he seemed grumpy. I forgot how much I missed their writing. I do like a few of the current reviewers, but HP's comment in the one blog post about reviewers identifying personal bias is a fair point. Unfortunately, I'm not sure some know that they have a bias, or if so, believe that it is really the pursuit of musical truth or accuracy. I still think it is very hard to isolate the sound of a component in a system without taking into account what other elements of the system (and room and set-up) are contributing. At least HP is unashamed of his 'subjective' stance in the sense that he relies on his ears, and his ability to discern sometimes subtle shadings in what the equipment is doing. I'm glad he is resurfacing in a new setting, because I've found the Absolute Sound to be very lackluster in the last few years, and his contributions there few and far between. And his writing remains vivid, if not a little a little overblown.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Ye Gads! They were young in that picture. I never formally met HP, and spoke to J Gordon once years ago by phone- he seemed grumpy. I forgot how much I missed their writing. I do like a few of the current reviewers, but HP's comment in the one blog post about reviewers identifying personal bias is a fair point. Unfortunately, I'm not sure some know that they have a bias, or if so, believe that it is really the pursuit of musical truth or accuracy. I still think it is very hard to isolate the sound of a component in a system without taking into account what other elements of the system (and room and set-up) are contributing. At least HP is unashamed of his 'subjective' stance in the sense that he relies on his ears, and his ability to discern sometimes subtle shadings in what the equipment is doing. I'm glad he is resurfacing in a new setting, because I've found the Absolute Sound to be very lackluster in the last few years, and his contributions there few and far between. And his writing remains vivid, if not a little a little overblown.

I agree. I find that The Absolute Sound in recent year's is not credible at all and appears to be getting worse. I do like the pictures though.

No matter how good a reviewer is they can't tell you how a piece of gear will sound in your system. They can give us a hint about it's sonic character but that's about it. If the reviewer can not give you an idea of the product's character then the review is pretty much useless other than for product info. You can get another hint by hearing it in another system but can never be sure what in that system is responsible for what. User reports are about as useful. Veterans know all this of course but newbee's are usually taken in by what the mag's say until they have been around the block a few times.

Mr Bojangles

Aug 28, 2012
Once got a mention in despatches from the dear HP. I wish him all the best with his health and new venture.

mr bojangles

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

HERE

and

THERE

I am puzzled by your extremely negative reaction to HP's essays.

He's trying to restate his reviewing goals and I thought his essay on the different styles of reviewing is spot on. HP's also talks about the perils and pitfalls of reviewing audio equipment (anyone who thinks reviewing is all glamor is sadly mistaken) and perhaps where he intends to differentiate himself.

This essay is not really all that different than hat he did in the beginning with TAS. In the end, all HP is talking about are those who take a reductionist approach (say like AHC) to reviewing vs. those who (like some UK reviewers) adopt a global strategy. I find little to quibble with on his last paragraph either.

I don't necessarily agree however about the sound of the Kingsway; it can sound dark on some recordings but that's more a function of the LP and not the tape.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I agree. I find that The Absolute Sound in recent year's is not credible at all and appears to be getting worse. I do like the pictures though.

No matter how good a reviewer is they can't tell you how a piece of gear will sound in your system. They can give us a hint about it's sonic character but that's about it. If the reviewer can not give you an idea of the product's character then the review is pretty much useless other than for product info. You can get another hint by hearing it in another system but can never be sure what in that system is responsible for what. User reports are about as useful. Veterans know all this of course but newbee's are usually taken in by what the mag's say until they have been around the block a few times.

I think there's something to walking away from reading a reviews and not knowing what the piece of gear sounded like.

What also makes me as crazy is a reviewer who takes two pages to start to review the product.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

I think one important point HP made is that the equipment of yesteryear had far more obvious shortcomings than today's efforts. If you read the early issues of TAS (say 1-16), most pieces of equipment did one or at most two things well and a whole lot wrong. The best of todays gear gets a whole lot more right than wrong.

Alan Sircom

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Aug 11, 2010
I am puzzled by your extremely negative reaction to HP's essays.

He's trying to restate his reviewing goals and I thought his essay on the different styles of reviewing is spot on. HP's also talks about the perils and pitfalls of reviewing audio equipment (anyone who thinks reviewing is all glamor is sadly mistaken) and perhaps where he intends to differentiate himself.

This essay is not really all that different than hat he did in the beginning with TAS. In the end, all HP is talking about are those who take a reductionist approach (say like AHC) to reviewing vs. those who (like some UK reviewers) adopt a global strategy. I find little to quibble with on his last paragraph either.

I don't necessarily agree however about the sound of the Kingsway; it can sound dark on some recordings but that's more a function of the LP and not the tape.

I think you might be missing the point. The first few posts on the site are garbage. More specifically, lorem ipsem placeholder text garbage.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I think you might be missing the point. The first few posts on the site are garbage. More specifically, lorem ipsem placeholder text garbage.

OK, I just saw them as placeholders since Frantz said scroll down to the bottom of the web page.

Alan Sircom

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Aug 11, 2010
Alan: You read latin!

Lorem ipsem is nonsense Latin, a bastardised passage from Cicero that has been used in place of live copy on the printed page since the 1500s.

The full text reads, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum."

It translated into the Information Age thanks to PageMaker, because it was designed into the layout templates.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Google translator returns us a strange translation:

This page is available, however, but because occasionally circumstances occur in which toil and pain can procure him some great. To take a trivial example, which of us ever undertakes laborious physical exercise, except to obtain some advantage from it. Or desires to obtain pain in the bullet train to find fault with in the pleasure of pain that produces no resultant good to flee. These cases are perfectly account of the system, the fault of those who are in the original text: this is to sink. :confused::confused::confused:

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012
HP has been fit and well for well over 6 months. Yet the TAS article by JV and the comments from Jim Hanon have tried to make it seem the reason he is leaving is because he is sick, is past it, retiring e.t.c

Be assured this is not the case, just the usual high-end audio politics.

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012
Thanks Steve. I have been meaning to join here since it started. Well moderated yet still a lively discussion, which is a hard balancing act for an audio forum.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello and welcome to the WBF, agisthos, from the other side of the world. Glad to see that you finally decided to join us.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing