Have We Seen the Last of Harry Pearson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
From John Atkinson:

So, it's official. Harry Pearson is no longer with The Absolute Sound after nearly 40 years. According to publisher Jim Hannon, "Harry’s life-changing heart surgery has prompted him to rethink how he wants to spend his time going forward. Consequently, it is my unhappy task to inform you that Harry Pearson has decided to resign from The Absolute Sound."

Is this the final chapter to the man who single handedly put most of the high-end audio companies we know today on the map? Does HP still have a trick or two up his sleeve?

It's not surprising news since HP has been basically Gordon Holted since TAS was bought by Tom Martin. His output has become less and less and it seems TAS only rolls him out when it serves their purposes.

Whatever the future holds for HP, I'll be forever grateful for introducing me to the hobby that I hold so dear today!

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
His articles shaped my early views of this hobby. The man had a great grasp for what was going on and expressed better than anybody else in this industry. The saddest thing to me was to see how he had became irrelevant in TAS a magazine he created ... I sincerely believe this may have had a deleterious effect on his health, TAS without HP will not be the same ...
The Internet is an interesting space with room for someone like HP reputation..Let's see how he moves forward .. I wish him the best

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
J.Peter Moncrieff essentially retired from the audio reviewing game a few years ago, no reason HP can't do the same.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
We can only profoundly thank him, while going out on a high note. No eclipse is a happy one, and I am not looking forward to mine.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
J.Peter Moncrieff essentially retired from the audio reviewing game a few years ago, no reason HP can't do the same.

Well I'm not betting on that retirement lasting too long. Pretty much as stock PR release.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
From John Atkinson:

So, it's official. Harry Pearson is no longer with The Absolute Sound after nearly 40 years. According to publisher Jim Hannon, "Harry’s life-changing heart surgery has prompted him to rethink how he wants to spend his time going forward. Consequently, it is my unhappy task to inform you that Harry Pearson has decided to resign from The Absolute Sound."

Is this the final chapter to the man who single handedly put most of the high-end audio companies we know today on the map? Does HP still have a trick or two up his sleeve?

It's not surprising news since HP has been basically Gordon Holted since TAS was bought by Tom Martin. His output has become less and less and it seems TAS only rolls him out when it serves their purposes.

Whatever the future holds for HP, I'll be forever grateful for introducing me to the hobby that I hold so dear today!

I gather the simple truth is that it comes down to his health.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I still think of HP as the most experienced and keen eared of all the reviewers. I for one, will definitely miss his many interesting points of view and articles. IF he retires, IMO that will be a major loss to the high-end reviewing community.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Somebody should organize an event to recognize his contributions to the field. Probably too late to do so at RMAF (I don't know if he even goes), but that would be the right thing to do. The guy basically helped define what we consider to be modern audio as a hobbyist pursuit, along with a handful of others, some of whom are sadly no longer with us.
Hell, we could even make it a benefit to raise money for audiophiles who can't afford the equipment his (former) magazine so often touts. Could be like the O-phone program for the 99%.
But seriously folks, something should be done by the community he helped define.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Further breaking information from a friend of HP's:

Harry Pearson's new project is called HPsoundings and the website and blog will kick off early in October. More information to follow and see us a RMAF. If you are interested in advertising on the site please contact me.

www.hpsoundings.com

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Whatever folks may say about HP, the man could pick a good album. Thanks HP!

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Make sense ... Hope he succeeds ...
Thanks Myles

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Whatever folks may say about HP, the man could pick a good album. Thanks HP!

Indeed, Jack, indeed. His Super Disc list in the 80s and 90s were what I cherished most in TAS. When I got to listen to a few in his list given the difficulty in sourcing these LPs during the pre internet days, I was always stunned to hear such incredible sonics that I rarely hear from other Lps which I just bought mainly for the music and not the sonics. And of late, I have been garnering more and more of those Lps when they become available. They are ear-openers and the guy really knows a great recording when he hears one. I haven't bought nor read TAS in the last 15 or so years because I missed those great days of the magazine in the 80s and I actually wrote HP a letter via snail mail and delightfully, it got published in one issue. Dang, I should have kept that issue. :D

caesar

May 30, 2010
Most important thing is that he is getting healthy!

But as far as his role with Absolute Sound, I am surprised that he didn't quit 3 or 4 years ago when Valin moved away from the original idea of the Absolute Sound and instead started grouping gear in 3 categories: based on whether people like what it sounds like (Balabo), how closely the gear reveals the recording (Magico, Soulution), and whether gear conforms to the HP's idea of Absolute Sound (ARC, Magnepan). Although this seemingly interesting idea could have been spun off in a new magazine, the editors instead chose to alter The Absolute Sound forever and destroy a life's work.

Imperial

Mar 6, 2012
Norway
I can remember in my youth walking to town, into as audio shop that had a subscription for the magazine TAS. And they had a huge stack of the magazines that one could peruse at a whim.
It was like 1 hour walk one way, and then back.
This was like a monthly thing, and always a joy! :D
What does one not do as a poor student, when one MUST have one's fill! A long time ago this.

Mr Harry Pearson, Your legacy, live while you may, will not go into oblivion. Many thanks for a wonderfull stint!!

Imperial.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
I can remember in my youth walking to town, into as audio shop that had a subscription for the magazine TAS. And they had a huge stack of the magazines that one could peruse at a whim.
It was like 1 hour walk one way, and then back.
This was like a monthly thing, and always a joy! :D
What does one not do as a poor student, when one MUST have one's fill! A long time ago this.

Mr Harry Pearson, Your legacy, live while you may, will not go into oblivion. Many thanks for a wonderfull stint!!

Imperial.

Guess What? this is the exact memory I have of the early TAS ... I discovered TAS in my teens, a dear friend (who's no longer with us, the father of a school friend ) got me into it. I would leave School when the new TAS was out and walk to the downtown Tower Record Store in Manhattan to get my copy ... the pictures, the magazine, the writers (PHD, DAW, etc) , the music and the gears ...

+ 1

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Somebody should organize an event to recognize his contributions to the field. Probably too late to do so at RMAF (I don't know if he even goes), but that would be the right thing to do. The guy basically helped define what we consider to be modern audio as a hobbyist pursuit, along with a handful of others, some of whom are sadly no longer with us.
Hell, we could even make it a benefit to raise money for audiophiles who can't afford the equipment his (former) magazine so often touts. Could be like the O-phone program for the 99%.
But seriously folks, something should be done by the community he helped define.

+1

I am sorry to learn about HP health issues and also wish him the best.
Most of HP reviews are now dated, but most of them are great essays on the subject of sound reproduction. It is a pity they are not available on the net and are almost hidden in libraries and private collections. It would be great if a site could incorporate his writings in TAS.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
+1

I am sorry to learn about HP health issues and also wish him the best.
Most of HP reviews are now dated, but most of them are great essays on the subject of sound reproduction. It is a pity they are not available on the net and are almost hidden in libraries and private collections. It would be great if a site could incorporate his writings in TAS.

TAS or the corporation behind it may not want that. it was clear they wanted him to go to oblivion. I don't think TAS' current direction espouse HP's views ...

Yet, It would have been good though to see his writings...

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
TAS or the corporation behind it may not want that. it was clear they wanted him to go to oblivion. I don't think TAS' current direction espouse HP's views ...

Yet, It would have been good though to see his writings...

I think by copyright law, HP still owns the rights to everything he ever wrote for tas. So conceivably he could somehow scan them in and post them as content on his new site.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I sincerely hope that we have not seen the last of HP because he is special and there are very few special people in the high end audio industry. Several years ago I was very fortunate to visit Harry at Sea Cliff on 3 occasions and to have dinner with him and attend an early digital movie I was involved with on another occasion. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Harry is sincere in his love of music and the equipment that reproduces it and that he was very upset about the direction of TAS after it was purchased by Tom Martin. I believe that it was his naiveté that both fed his creativity and made it possible for him to be pushed out of his own creation.

Although I am a no one in the world of high end audio, I know that I want to do whatever I can to help him with his new venture. I cannot image HP not having a music-related venture as long as his ears work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing