Any reviewer today have the taste of Harry Pearson?

caesar

May 30, 2010
I don't really read much audio writing, unless a product interests me. Is there any writer out there today who shares the taste of Harry Pearson? The Magico/ Soulution preference of the current regime is a far cry from the Nola and Scaena systems Harry Pearson had as references.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
You will not see his kind again.

Ken Newton

Dec 11, 2012
What I felt was most special about Harry was his power of aural observation combined with his acute ability to effectively communicate those observations through the written word. In addition, he brought a reviewing perspective informed by long experience, which typically kept his observations sober and tethered.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
What I felt was most special about Harry was his power of aural observation combined with his acute ability to effectively communicate those observations through the written word. In addition, he brought a reviewing perspective informed by long experience, which typically kept his observations sober and tethered.

+1

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Agree with the above. I was a big HP fan.

To respond to the OP, how can anyone know if they have the same listening biases / preferences that HP had? Not to mention music acuity listening abilities, past experiences with SOTA gear, room influences, and all the other factors that impact one's personal preferences.

The question posed is totally speculative.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
While I never thought his reviews were better than any other reviewer or lined up more with my thinking, his writing style was unique, flowery, and descriptive to say the least. I had a chance to meet him when I was the Marketing Director for SigTech (Cambridge Signal Technologies). I installed one of our systems in his home (in his main room) to have our product reviewed. He was every bit as unique in person as was his writing style.

Fitzcaraldo215

Nov 3, 2014
While I never thought his reviews were better than any other reviewer or lined up more with my thinking, his writing style was unique, flowery, and descriptive to say the least. I had a chance to meet him when I was the Marketing Director for SigTech (Cambridge Signal Technologies). I installed one of our systems in his home (in his main room) to have our product reviewed. He was every bit as unique in person as was his writing style.

I met Harry and chatted with him several times on visits to Sea Cliff, and I know a fair number of behind the scenes vignettes from friends who wrote for the magazine and who knew him quite well. I read the magazine from its inception and dropped it for a number of years in the infamous astrology period where it was his idea to publish reviewers' astrological signs along with their reviews, as if that had some major influence on the reviewer's sonic opinion. Once that stupid initiative had been dropped, I came back later, pre-Harley, but the magazine had to me permanently lost credibility in that episode, and Harley has never regained it in my eyes. I read it more as a news bulletin of what is going on in high end circles, and for music reviews. It has generally not had high credibility on equipment for me, and actually it seldom did.

Agreed, he was a major force in shaping the high end establishment as we know it. He had some brilliant insights as to how to listen, such as the "sound of live acoustic instruments in real space", and the concept of the Gestalt of live performance. These concepts were and are indeed valuable and insightful.

He wrote well and entertainingly, as expected with his background in newspaper journalism. I always read his stuff, sometimes agreeing, sometimes infuriated with his naive and often erroneous technical speculations. Under his editorial guidance, the concept of the preamp, amp or speaker "of the month club" became established, which continues at full force under Harley, Valin, et al. I know from a discussion with a former staff reviewer several years ago how this concept was even encouraged by senior editors.

There was good in Harry's writings. But, I see some major, lasting negatives that have grown and continue from those days to influence audiophile attitudes, not for the better, in my view. One was his obvious egocentrism, affirming itself in the notion that his ears alone could discern all there was to be known about the sound of any components. He was, as easily inferred from his writings, the feisty, argumentative center of the universe when it came to judging sound. That was coupled with an absolute and utter disdain for any sort of alternative evidence that tried to be more questioning or objective, such as measurements or controlled listening studies.

It struck me that in later years, he retreated more and more to his Valhalla on Long Island Sound and reviewed only outrageously expensive and obscure gear that had limited distribution, few dealer demo capabilities or alternative reviews elsewhere. I see in that a hidden desire to avoid questions and challenges to his opinions, as he had faced earlier in his career about some of his more main-stream reviews, even from some of his own staff writers. It was his shield against any dissent. Most had simply not heard the gear in question, although, obviously it was good stuff. The question remained, was it as good as he proclaimed, and was it really compared to a wide enough sampling of alternatives to warrant his effusive praise.

Sorry, Harry, may you rest in peace. Like all of us, there is good and bad in the legacy we leave behind.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I saw a different side of Harry. He definitely had feet of clay. When I finally met him he referred to himself as a rockstar. Certainly he had the magic touch and could turn a maufacturer into a successs overnight.And turn an obscure album into a coveted gem. But those qualities that made him loved by some, also made him hated by others. Visiciuos storys floated around about him. The most pertinent was that he traded positive reviews in for long term loans. I have always maintained there are no secrets in life. He changed equipment often and someone would have outed him in anger if that were true.
His gift was the ability transcribe what he heard into the written word. There he had no peer. He basically created the high-end vocabulary.
He treid to answer every letter I wrote him.That was the case even though they were addressed to the editor. Often it was just a post card. He once requested a list of my components, when I expressed dissatisfaction with my system He was always a gentlemen as far as I new.

He often expressed a desirre to create a Harry Pearsontpublishing empire for the hedonist. The Perfect Vission was his first endeavor. It was to be expanded to food, wine, travel, etc.

Unfortunately digtial came. He was unwillingl to go along and suffered the consequences. Both magazines faiied. He was actually writing for another magazine at one point.He got tas back on hits feet. He was unwavering in his principles and as far as I know never deviated from them. That is something few people can say.

He may have been to audio reviewers what Miles Davis was to jazz. His influence is all over.
He was human, but owes apologies to no one. I say a job well done. M all your music be livet wherever you are.Rest in Peace.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Gordon Holt was what Billie Holiday was to smoky sultry jazz vocals. - RIP Gord & Billie
HP was the long last missing Rolling Stones' band member. - RIP HP & Brian
And Mickey Fremer is what Jimi Hendrix was to "Are you experienced...with TTs". - RIP Jimi

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I guess this should not to be argumentative and perhaps I am taking things to literally.I submit it was impossible to a have a preamp-amp of the month club. In the beginning tas was like a sermon on the mount with Moses.The publication was often thought to be defunct because one had not seen or heard form Harry for so long. Then there was Harry's long love affair with ARC SP11. Even when Harry tried to go to 6-8 issues a year he almost never made it. When he did publish, it was also clear some of the issues were lacking in content. He treid his best to speak only when he had sonething worthwhile to say.

Last edited:

Don C

Jul 20, 2013
USA
I subscribed to the early Absolute Sound magazine, and showed copies to many non-audiophiles and got a common response.

Where can I get the drugs that these writers are on?

Ken Newton

Dec 11, 2012
Those friends surely would miss Julian Hirsch and Stereo Review magazine. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I subscribed to the early Absolute Sound magazine, and showed copies to many non-audiophiles and got a common response.

Where can I get the drugs that these writers are on?

Too bad you have to make such disparging, insensitive, disrespectful comments about a dead man who, on many accounts, was responsible for creating what we now call the "hi end".

And the purpose of your post is?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I've read it simply as a totally innocent comment. ...Like when I tell some of my best friends about the ultra high end audio...they simply couldn't comprehend what it's all about.
There is nothing there; each person has his own passions in life, and it's normal to have comments like that from various people with different life's interests; nothing disrespectful about it...nothing @ all.

And I found HP a humble man...he was. We all have different views...very normal. The best view...HP had it...his own view. He shared his music passion...that's a pretty good view to me. Because music is the man's soul, and is regular hi-fi...for all common mortals in listening to the music recordings that make our chords vibrating.

The food tastes good with or without ketchup, it all depends... :b ...HP read good, with or without.

Don C

Jul 20, 2013
USA
Too bad you have to make such disparging, insensitive, disrespectful comments about a dead man who, on many accounts, was responsible for creating what we now call the "hi end".

And the purpose of your post is?

HP was a known POT HEAD!

Most of his listening experience was under the influence.

He is responsible for the "snob appeal" of the current state of "extremely high priced" audio that dominates the so called "High End".

The high end would have happened without HP IMO.

Last edited:

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Sorry Bob,

I obviously don't see it that way. Suffice to say I was a big HP fan and found the post to be crude and ill informed at best.

Best.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
HP was a known POT HEAD!

I hope you can prove that.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
HP was a known POT HEAD!
He is responsible for the "snob appeal" of the current state of "extremely high priced" audio that dominates the so called "High End".
The high end would have happened without HP IMO.

Sorry Bob,
I obviously don't see it that way. Suffice to say I was a big HP fan and found the post to be crude and ill informed at best.

Best.

Lol it's no big deal @ all; I've never met the guy and it don't matter anyway to me, if he was a smoker or not.
Pot is good for the brain relaxation anyway. * By the way I don't smoke myself, only the odd cigar.

Lol, as if one guy can be responsible for the snob appeal in any matter. HP wasn't like some kind of cult leader. He was a music addict like I...which is the best addiction in this world...after sex.

* We, all of us, we make comments that are misinterpreted very very often. Audio forums are like that, women are like that, life is like that.
And we are much much better than what we have been seeing on the tube recently; that, is totally childish from grownup adults who want to lead our country.

So, I'd rather see the positive attributes in HP than the negatives ones, because nobody's perfect; not me certainly not. ...But I do try my best to be a better man.
I've read HP's audio reviews and articles and music reviews for years and years, and Michael Fremer's reviews as well; two different styles, two great individuals who I respect for who they are (was with HP, RIP).

And David Bowie...RIP too. Why David Bowie you might ask? Because why not, same with HP.
Bowie was a singer/musician...I have several of his albums...he's not my favorite artist but I like some of his tunes, and his versatile style.
HP recommended many audiophile music recordings...glad he did; that was money well spent on several titles.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing