Going all in on Shunyata PCs

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
At least in theory, per the TAS online review, Typhon is rated for 2400W, and Triton should be capable of the same... This should mean that the combination should be able to handle a peak load of 4800W.... Frank, is this sufficient for your PS rating?

Guido

It's sufficient Guido. I just don't want to put the entire load on one circuit. No matter where I've lived, I always have separate 20A circuits for whatever amps I use. Probably not necessary but that's never stopped me from going overboard in the past, why stop now.

By the way, I used to own Jeff Rowland Model 9tiHC amps with the battery power supplies. They were great amps!

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Thank you Frank, unfortunately in my music loft I have only one single 20A dedicated circuit and one 15A regular circuit, without the option of adding a second dedicated line... So what I have will have to do for the time being.

Eventually, I hope to have the opportunity of experimenting with Triton once again... On my M925 amps this time... I wonder if it would be better to have a Triton+typhon combo with both amps into it fed by the 20A line, or a dedicated Triton per monoblock... One into the 20A line and the other one in the 15A line.

I have not had a chance of listening to any M9 variants, but I have heard that their were wonderful in their times... I am totally head over heel in love with M925... Hope you will hear these amps sometimes... Apparently the M825 stereo version will be at RMAF.

Saluti, Guido

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Thank you Frank, unfortunately in my music loft I have only one single 20A dedicated circuit and one 15A regular circuit, without the option of adding a second dedicated line... So what I have will have to do for the time being.

Eventually, I hope to have the opportunity of experimenting with Triton once again... On my M925 amps this time... I wonder if it would be better to have a Triton+typhon combo with both amps into it fed by the 20A line, or a dedicated Triton per monoblock... One into the 20A line and the other one in the 15A line.

I have not had a chance of listening to any M9 variants, but I have heard that their were wonderful in their times... I am totally head over heel in love with M925... Hope you will hear these amps sometimes... Apparently the M825 stereo version will be at RMAF.

Saluti, Guido

Hi Are you in Austin? I'm in Austin also if you want to hear my Triton/Typhon.

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Hi Jfrech, yes I live in Austin... Would love to hear from you... I just sent you a PM with contact info.

Saluti, Guido

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
On AC power wire size, maximum current and the electrical code.
The sizes that we often see are the US NEC code minimum wire sizes.

Minimum size:
15 Amp -14AWG
20 Amp - 12AWG
30 Amp - 10AWG

But these are the minimum sizes. Some of the reasons for over-sizing wires are:
Long runs (high voltage drop)
High ambient temperature
High conduit fill

The maximum wire size is only limited by the device that the wire connects to.
Receptacles are often 10AWG max
Circuit breakers are often 8AWG max

Larger wires can be connected to these devices by using a short pig-tail wire of the correct AWG.

Note that the entire end to end run does not need to be of only one AWG size. (if it meets the other rules)

Also note that the Safety Ground wire (EGC/PE) needs to be at any point in the run, the same size as the Hot & Neutral (or larger)

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
So here is what snakepit behind my main audio rack looks like with the anaconda's crawling around. The two conditioners are PS audio P5s.

Quick comment on sonics. I am getting "cleaner", more detailed sound with the 6 new cords (these replace 2 x Shunyata Python CX, 1 x Synergistic Research Hologram D, 1 x Shunyata Python Zitron, 2 x Mojo Audio XPC-7), but the upgrade does not materially improve "musicality" of my system. So I have to say this investment is yielding a low return in terms of sound quality per $$$ spend. I am still a little puzzled by this, because from what I recall, inserting individual shunyata cables into my system always got me great results, so I was hoping swapping out six would be a step change improvement. I cooked the cables for a few days before installing them.

However, I got such an insane deal on the cables, I don't really care, because this would be an easy zero loss resell if I wanted to offload them (not planning to).

Snakepit_02.jpg

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Hi Edor, if you have merely cooked the new cords for a few days, it is not likely that they are yielding their best performance already.... For what I remember, they may need 300 to 500 hours of break-in with an active signal processing on the affected components.

Guido

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Hi Eddor, if you have merely cooked the new cords for a few days, it is not likely that they are yielding their best performance already.... For what I remember, they may need 300 to 500 hours of break-in with an active signal processing on the affected components.

Guido

Agreed. I have 6 in my system. You're not close to complete break in yet. Guido is spot on.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Hi Edor, if you have merely cooked the new cords for a few days, it is not likely that they are yielding their best performance already.... For what I remember, they may need 300 to 500 hours of break-in with an active signal processing on the affected components.

Guido

Thanks. I was expecting this response .... So if they have 100 hours on them, I have 200 to go. I listen may be 3 hours a day, so that is another 67 days.....

I was thinking of cooking them longer, but I wanted to insert them hear them. Taking them out and back in the cooker is out of the question (way too much work), as is keeping the system playing 24 hours (giant class A poweramps)

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Hi Edorr, I appreciate the problem... When your system is not making music, you can leave the amps on low power standby or completely off, and keep the rest of the system active and processing an audio signal... Not quite as good as having the entire system active, but it will be faster than a strict diet of 3 hours a day. If your amps have a low power standby, a bit of current will go through their PCs during inactivity as well.

BTW, I have sent you a PM.

Guido

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
you guys beat me to it. Relax. I call it FABC

Sit on your Fat Ass and smoke a Big Cigar. When you're done, listen again. Do that many times and then let's talk :)

Only other thing to consider if you still think you have a low return on investment, I think I would swap out one cable at a time rather than all at once

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
No disrespect to owners of these cables and other uber priced ones, but why the Hell aren't they "cooked" before they go out to customers? At $x'000s, that's the LEAST I'd expect if I was going to shell out such an outlay. I'm investigating Sablon cables, which at $500-$1500 each are ALL totally "cooked" before dispatch. If they can be at this price level, why not insanely priced ones? This fact alone is enough to put me off investigating these and other similar makes, even if I had the $s.
Would any of you be happy to book into a Five Star hotel and find you had to fit the sheets on your bed, and do the laundry.
And we all wonder at and bemoan the fate of the high end!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
No disrespect to owners of these cables and other uber priced ones, but why the Hell aren't they "cooked" before they go out to customers? At $x'000s, that's the LEAST I'd expect if I was going to shell out such an outlay. I'm investigating Sablon cables, which at $500-$1500 each are ALL totally "cooked" before dispatch. If they can be at this price level, why not insanely priced ones? This fact alone is enough to put me off investigating these and other similar makes, even if I had the $s.
Would any of you be happy to book into a Five Star hotel and find you had to fit the sheets on your bed, and do the laundry.
And we all wonder at and bemoan the fate of the high end!

Hi Sprit...I'm with you on pre broken in stuff !

Last edited:

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
A couple of years ago I had amazing results from a Triton on temporary loan, in which I plugged Esoteric X-01, Rowland Criterion, and a Rowland M312 500W stereo amp... There was no trace of any dynamic compression or of any undue filtering. Break-in was complete after 500 hours.

Here is the question... My new Rowland M925 400W monos have much larger power supplies than the olde M312... Each monoblock is equipped with a 2400W DC supply following a PFC rectifier... Does anyone have an idea about how Triton by itself, or Triton+Typhone might serve this pair?

Saluti, Guido

Guido, So after our talk I put my amps, into the Triton/Typhon along with my front end gear. Listened to it right away then 24 hours later (to make sure the amps had stabilized again and the power cords didn't loose a little from moving around). Unmistakably lower noise floor, more detailed and more nuanced. However I keep feeling like something was missing...so back direct to the wall this am...quicker and more dynamic...gains a shade of noise back and looses some detail & nuance.

I suspect this maybe very power amp dependent. My Ayre MX-R's already have some conditioning built into their power supply.

So I'll keep my amps on their x2 20 amp dedicated circuits...

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Guido, So after our talk I put my amps, into the Triton/Typhon along with my front end gear. Listened to it right away then 24 hours later (to make sure the amps had stabilized again and the power cords didn't loose a little from moving around). Unmistakably lower noise floor, more detailed and more nuanced. However I keep feeling like something was missing...so back direct to the wall this am...quicker and more dynamic...gains a shade of noise back and looses some detail & nuance.

I suspect this maybe very power amp dependent. My Ayre MX-R's already have some conditioning built into their power supply.

So I'll keep my amps on their x2 20 amp dedicated circuits...

I agree with you

I have always felt power amps should be plugged into their own dedicated wall lines

I am also interested that Caelin said best results with the TRITON/TYPHON are with the amps plugged into it.

My dedicated amp lines are wired for 30 amp with 10 gauge wire

I am in the process of deciding if I want just the Triton (as many owners say that is where the biggest improvement is) or go with the Typhon as well. I am leaning towards the both with an Anaconda PC to the Triton. All my other PC's are Valhalla. I will keep these initially as I determine what if any benefits come from the Anaconda

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I am not surprised by these results - that ferroelectric material can be both good and detrimental. Magnetic fields can and will affect current flow, parallel or in series. Denying that is like saying no appliance in parallel affects the quality of power - well, think microwaves, refrigerators, et al

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Hi John, thank you for the test... Are your amps class A or A/B? do you happen to know what the power consumption might be? If the total for the pair approaches the 4KW mark, the slight loss in dynamics is easily explained, Triton+Typhon totaling 4.8KW capacity.

It is still possible that the combo may work for my M925, which are kinder/gentler on AC... Although a few weeks ago I tested M925s with a conditioner from a different brand (which shall remain anonymous)... The conditioner had apparently a 1600W capacity and had several thousand hours of operations on it... I observed the shortcomings that you described to a macroscopic degree.

Saluti, Guido

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi John, thank you for the test... Are your amps class A or A/B? do you happen to know what the power consumption might be? If the total for the pair approaches the 4KW mark, the slight loss in dynamics is easily explained, Triton+Typhon totaling 4.8KW capacity.

It is still possible that the combo may work for my M925, which are kinder/gentler on AC... Although a few weeks ago I tested M925s with a conditioner from a different brand (which shall remain anonymous)... The conditioner had apparently a 1600W capacity and had several thousand hours of operations on it... I observed the shortcomings that you described to a macroscopic degree.

Saluti, Guido

Hi the Ayre are not full class A. I wonder about that 4800 watt rating referred to above...everything is still only going through the 2400 watt Triton...The Typhon can't really add power handing (it's plugged into one of the Triton's outlets...it's really just adding filtering capacity to the Triton). Now a different reviewer (had lamm amps) liked the Triton/Talos. I suspect it's something with Ayre's built in power conditioner...but this is a sheer guess

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Hi John, I will try to reach Grant at Shunyata... Perhaps at RMAF... Will ask him in person if Typhon increases power handling capacity over Triton or not.

Related to our discussion... Shunyata has a 2-outlet conditioner--called Cyclops, I think--which is supposed to be designed specifically for amps.... Do you know anything about it?

Guido

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi John, I will try to reach Grant at Shunyata... Perhaps at RMAF... Will ask him in person if Typhon increases power handling capacity over Triton or not.

Related to our discussion... Shunyata has a 2-outlet conditioner--called Cyclops, I think--which is supposed to be designed specifically for amps.... Do you know anything about it?

Guido

Hi, I am considering trying it...if it retains some of the dynamics and some of the noise reduction...it very well maybe the way to go for my system...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing