Going all in on Shunyata PCs

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Frank

Have you ever listened to your system wiry the Typhon outa d use only the Triton. You're the only one I know here that can do that comparison. I for one am very interested.

No I haven't Steve. Fairly easy to do. I'll give it a try tonight.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I have an Audience Ar6TSS conditioner and the Shunyata Triton/ Typhon combo. I had the Audience in my system for at least four years and last year had their latest filtering upgrade done at John Mc Donald's suggestion. It is an excellent conditioner. With the upgraded Audience power cord the thing lists at about $8000.

I bought the Shunyata combo 4 months ago because I had read so many good things about it and all of my power cords are Anaconda Zitrons and I've had great success with them. It takes the conditioner and their power cords a very long time to break in. Until the conditioner does fully burn in you might think you've wasted your money.

I was very happy with the Shunyata after break in but a couple of weeks ago I pulled it out, inserted the Audience back in and let it warm up for a couple of days. Everything sounded great, so good that I was thinking about leaving the Audience in permanently. About a week later I started getting antsy about having $15,000 worth of conditioner and power cords sitting on the floor doing nothing so I decided to do a shoot out. I pulled the Audience out and reinserted the Shunyata and turned everything back on. Ice cold my immediate response was whoa! No comparison! Everything about the system sounded better with the Triton/ Typhon back in. Bass, soundstage, image placement definition, everything was better. No longer curious, I boxed the Audience up and put it in my storage room until I decide what to do with it.

My amps each have their own 20A circuit. The conditioner only handles my pre amp, phono pre, CD player and turntable.

Thanks for the well written and informative post!

I truly believe these types of products are absolutely system and environmentally dependent.

PC's are a MUST audition before purchase. Shunyata works for you, Audience for me, maybe PS Audio or Furutech for someone else.:cool::cool:

sly30

Jun 18, 2012
....Chicago, so great area..Frank750, i agree, i use Triton/Typhon combo with set of Anacondas Z-Trons.
It is great power system but you are right, it needs very long time to warm up, i think so more than 500h of playing system.
The same like you i use MIT Oracle SHD speaker cable but different speakers, amps and source.
All the best for you.
Sly

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

The big question for me is what the system does to the amps, i.e. high-current devices; so if you could plug those in for a little bit...

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
The big question for me is what the system does to the amps, i.e. high-current devices; so if you could plug those in for a little bit...

I can't speak for Shunyata combo, but I have plugged over a dozen amps, solid state, and tube, into my Audience and without exception, the sound was improved.

The good ones are not current limiting in anyway and are capable of putting out an enormous amount of current continuously without breaking a sweat.

This is not the 80's anymore. These devices are now hyper engineered.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

My amps draw 1000 watts each in standby so I hesitate to plug them both in to one circuit even with the conditioner but the question below was asked of Caelin Gabriel, Lead Designer and CEO OF Shunyata;

Although the Typhon was purposely designed as an add-on accessory to the Triton, could it be used beneficially with a Cyclops or even a Talos?

Yes, since the Typhon operates in parallel and can be used with any of our current or past power distributors/conditioners. The Typhon is especially beneficial when used with power amplifiers. Plug it into the same outlet that the amp is plugged into or into a Cyclops or Hydra-a Model-2 if you are using one of these to power the amplifier.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Triton, yes. Typhon, no

All I can say is don't try a Typhon...or better said if you try it...don't try and unplug it with out your hand on your checkbook or credit card...

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
My amps draw 1000 watts each in standby so I hesitate to plug them both in to one circuit even with the conditioner but the question below was asked of Caelin Gabriel, Lead Designer and CEO OF Shunyata;

Although the Typhon was purposely designed as an add-on accessory to the Triton, could it be used beneficially with a Cyclops or even a Talos?

Yes, since the Typhon operates in parallel and can be used with any of our current or past power distributors/conditioners. The Typhon is especially beneficial when used with power amplifiers. Plug it into the same outlet that the amp is plugged into or into a Cyclops or Hydra-a Model-2 if you are using one of these to power the amplifier.

So he's basically advising you not to plug in the amps TO the Typhon - not surprising.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
So he's basically advising you not to plug in the amps TO the Typhon - not surprising.

Actually he's saying the Typhon is especially good with high current sources like amplifiers. The Typhon doesn't have any outlets itself. You can't plug anything into it. It connects to the Triton using an umbilical cord. He is saying if you just want to plug the Typhon alone into the same circuit your amplifier is in that you will reap benefits from the Typhon.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Actually he's saying the Typhon is especially good with high current sources like amplifiers. The Typhon doesn't have any outlets itself. You can't plug anything into it. It connects to the Triton using an umbilical cord. He is saying if you just want to plug the Typhon alone into the same circuit your amplifier is in that you will reap benefits from the Typhon.

According to TAS:

"Realizing the benefits of the Typhon/Triton pair takes some time. Just as most of us would not unpack a new piece of electronics and immediately set about conducting quick side- by-side comparisons against warmed-up, familiar gear already in the system, the Typhon, too, should be integrated into a system with some “settling time.” Shunyata recommends plugging it in to an active Triton for at least five days before critical listening. I plugged the Typhon into the Triton and left my system on for eight days before I did any critical listening.

When I first sat down to listen closely, the Typhon’s effect seemed subtle. As I mentioned, the typical cues we listen for with the introduction of a new piece of gear, such as a shift in tonal balance or macro- dynamic emphasis, are not there with the Typhon. Rather, the benefits of the Typhon become readily apparent when you pull it out of the system for a few songs and then plug it back in. Those qualities I mentioned (depth, spatial clarity, vividness of tone colors, etc.) were all better with the Typhon plugged in. I like the improvements so much that I would feel a bit short-changed without the Typhon, especially after living with it for over a month. Adding a Typhon will probably not transform a mediocre system into a “giant-killer,” but it will elevate an already good system another notch in musically meaningful ways. I imagine that most audiophiles who would contemplate purchasing two $4995 power conditioner chassis (and two good 20-amp power cords) have already invested a great deal of money in their systems and would truly appreciate the next level of realism the Triton/Typhon combo brings to the equation."

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
A couple of years ago I had amazing results from a Triton on temporary loan, in which I plugged Esoteric X-01, Rowland Criterion, and a Rowland M312 500W stereo amp... There was no trace of any dynamic compression or of any undue filtering. Break-in was complete after 500 hours.

Here is the question... My new Rowland M925 400W monos have much larger power supplies than the olde M312... Each monoblock is equipped with a 2400W DC supply following a PFC rectifier... Does anyone have an idea about how Triton by itself, or Triton+Typhone might serve this pair?

Saluti, Guido

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Frank

Have you ever listened to your system wiry the Typhon outa d use only the Triton. You're the only one I know here that can do that comparison. I for one am very interested.

I'm interested in knowing if you were able to do this Frank and what differences did you note with and without the Typhon

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I'm interested in knowing if you were able to do this Frank and what differences did you note with and without the Typhon

Sorry Steve, I got side tracked over the weekend.

The differences with and without the Typhon are subtle but very noticeable. Everything is better with it connected. Bass notes are more distinct and resolved. The soundstage is clearer and more focused, image placement is more stable. There is a definite drop in the noise floor of the system. For lack of a better way of describing the overall sound, the picture with the Typhon connected just seems to be clearer than without.

Caelin Gabriel says you will gain the greatest advantage by plugging your amplifiers in to the Triton/ Typhon combo and I'm not even doing that. It's not an option for me at this point.

I certainly wouldn't go with the Triton only. At least in my system, the Typhon is a keeper.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Why does Caelin say the biggest advantage is plugging amps into it and why are you against it ( me too BTW)

He only states that he feels the Triton/ Typhon combo is best suited to improve high current amplifier performance. Don't know specifics. He's not saying that front end won't be improved too as I've demonstrated to myself.

As for the amps, I'm not against plugging them into the Triton but my amps draw 1000 watts each in standby. I don't want to plug my low draw components and big draw power amps all into one circuit. I have separate 20A circuits with 8 gauge wire in their own pipes for the amps. The Triton/ Typhon have their own 20A circuit as well.

I can see it now. I try the amps plugged in to the Triton, really like it but don't want everything in 1 circuit so I go out and buy 2 more Triton/ Typhons with 2 more Anaconda PCs and 2 more Anaconda umbilicals for another $30K!!! No, I'm not going to try it! Not even for you :b

Steve Williams

He only states that he feels the Triton/ Typhon combo is best suited to improve high current amplifier performance. Don't know specifics. He's not saying that front end won't be improved too as I've demonstrated to myself.

As for the amps, I'm not against plugging them into the Triton but my amps draw 1000 watts each in standby. I don't want to plug my low draw components and big draw power amps all into one circuit. I have separate 20A circuits with 8 gauge wire in their own pipes for the amps. The Triton/ Typhon have their own 20A circuit as well.

I can see it now. I try the amps plugged in to the Triton, really like it but don't want everything in 1 circuit so I go out and buy 2 more Triton/ Typhons with 2 more Anaconda PCs and 2 more Anaconda umbilicals for another $30K!!! No, I'm not going to try it! Not even for you :b

Frank

IIRC 20amp circuits by code have 12 gauge wire and 30 amp circuits have 10 gauge wire

I have 8-9 20 amp dedicated lines in my room and two 30 amp dedicated lines (wired with 10 gauge) for my amps

Are you actually using a 30 amp wall outlet

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
At least in theory, per the TAS online review, Typhon is rated for 2400W, and Triton should be capable of the same... This should mean that the combination should be able to handle a peak load of 4800W.... Frank, is this sufficient for your PS rating?

Guido

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Frank

IIRC 20amp circuits by code have 12 gauge wire and 30 amp circuits have 10 gauge wire

I have 8-9 20 amp dedicated lines in my room and two 30 amp dedicated lines (wired with 10 gauge) for my amps

Are you actually using a 30 amp wall outlet

I was wrong. The wire is stranded 10 gauge. The outlets are all Furutech GTX-D Rhodium and I believe Furutech recommends 10AWG wire for these outlets. I have 4 of them in my room.

Steve Williams

I was wrong. The wire is stranded 10 gauge. The outlets are all Furutech GTX-D Rhodium and I believe Furutech recommends 10AWG wire for these outlets. I have 4 of them in my room.

I have 10 of those same Furutech as well as 2 MIT 20 amp with noise suppression

Those Furutech are actually 20 amp so 12 gauge is code

I have my 2 dedicated lines for my amps using the same Furutech but both are wired 10 gauge

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing