Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
So what makes that LP so special?

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
So what makes that LP so special?

One of the best Lee Morgan LPs. Rare as hen's teeth, especially in NM condition. This will sell for $3-$5k. The MusicMatters reissue sounds damn good for $50 :)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
One of the best Lee Morgan LPs. Rare as hen's teeth, especially in NM condition. This will sell for $3-$5k. The MusicMatters reissue sounds damn good for $50 :)

That will be the one I buy then!

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I don't have the depth that some of you do on vintage jazz, but that seller has a web site, is based in NYC (do you know him, Myles?) and has some interesting books and discographies, as well as reasonably priced new jazz vinyl.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I confess that I have never heard of Lee Morgan; but as I have said before, I'm a Johnny Come Lately to jazz music which I now dearly love.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I don't have the depth that some of you do on vintage jazz, but that seller has a web site, is based in NYC (do you know him, Myles?) and has some interesting books and discographies, as well as reasonably priced new jazz vinyl.

I don't know him but we have corresponded via email. The excerpt I posted the other day on BN LP vintage was from his book.

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Jazz Record Center is one of New York City's musical treasures. Considering the quality the store offers, prices are actually quite reasonable. Its almost impossible to walk out of there after a couple of hours without a haul of discoveries. Every time I've been there I have at least one "I've never seen that before" moment. The owner is friendly and extremely knowledgeable. Definitely a store worth supporting.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
I confess that I have never heard of Lee Morgan; but as I have said before, I'm a Johnny Come Lately to jazz music which I now dearly love.

Lee Morgan is of the exalted group of horn/trumpet players from the 50s/60s along with miles, clifford Brown, eric dolphy and freddie hubbard. they played on some the best jazz records ever recorded from that period. i believe lee was shot dead by his then wife while in his early thirties, like eric dolphy a bright star that was extinguished way too soon.

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

You need to. As far as I am concerned, any afro-american blowing on a horn, strumming a bass or tickling the ivories from 1950's-1960's is fantastic music. I haven't heard a bad jazz alum yet from the period. Amazing !

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue

Lee Morgan is probably the the ultimate jazz savant. He was leading a band at age 15 and recorded prolifically as a leader and sideman. His first Blue Note session as a leader ("Indeed!") was recorded when he was 19! "Vol 3." is one of his best records and features Benny Golson's tune "I Remember Clifford" an ode to his musical predecessor, Clifford Brown. Other career highlights include "Peckin' Time" with Hank Mobley (a copy of which just sold for $1,000 on Ebay), "Leeway", "The Cooker" and "Search For The New Land". These have all been reissued on 45 rpm LPs by Analogue Productions and Music Matters.

He had a minor hit with the title tune from the 1964 record "The Sidewinder" which was used in a car commercial. Unfortunately, he and Blue Note spent the rest of his career trying to emulate the success of "The Sidewinder" leading his music away from hard bop. He was shot to death in 1972 by his common law wife at Slug's nightclub at age 33. https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1RsxeI3cJg1uTHBt8gHJbGnJ92S-7E7v0Za_lVB9ge9M

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Here is a Blue Note/jazz blog that follows prices on original pressings: http://jazzcollector.com/

Jazz Record Center (the owner is Frederick Cohen who wrote the Blue Note first pressings book) auctions usually end pretty high.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
This certainly makes those musicmatters releases attractive. I just got the Mobley sextet one, will listen to it later tonite.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Lee Morgan is probably the the ultimate jazz savant. He was leading a band at age 15 and recorded prolifically as a leader and sideman. His first Blue Note session as a leader ("Indeed!") was recorded when he was 19! "Vol 3." is one of his best records and features Benny Golson's tune "I Remember Clifford" an ode to his musical predecessor, Clifford Brown. Other career highlights include "Peckin' Time" with Hank Mobley (a copy of which just sold for $1,000 on Ebay), "Leeway", "The Cooker" and "Search For The New Land". These have all been reissued on 45 rpm LPs by Analogue Productions and Music Matters.

He had a minor hit with the title tune from the 1964 record "The Sidewinder" which was used in a car commercial. Unfortunately, he and Blue Note spent the rest of his career trying to emulate the success of "The Sidewinder" leading his music away from hard bop. He was shot to death in 1972 by his common law wife at Slug's nightclub at age 33. https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1RsxeI3cJg1uTHBt8gHJbGnJ92S-7E7v0Za_lVB9ge9M

And Sidewinder is being released by TTP. :)

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
One bid already.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing