Frugal DACs...

Occam

[Industry Expert]
Dec 15, 2010
NYC
Hmmm... bargain DACs.
DO try for a double blind test before spending the money, though....

DACMan

DACMan - I assume you're being facetious in suggesting DBT when a hobbyist is choosing a DAC, because frankly, its simply too daunting a task. Lets assume the following -
You've actually got a computer controlled switching unit/preamp which can switch (or not) with the same noise (or lack thereof) between those 2 DACs, and make a record of the listener's switch initiation and the resulting state, A or B DAC in circuit. We also need some mechanism to record the person under test response to state changes.

But Wait, there's more!!!

1. Unless the analog output levels are the same we need level matching between on a per input, as different volumes invalidate comparisons. Yes, there are preamps with this facility, I just don't happen to have one.

2. We must isolate the digital input signals from each other so that reflections don't cross contaminate the results. One could use separtate digital transceivers/logic gates (multiple outputs of the same signal from a computer card) or transformers, An AES to dual 75 ohm winding transformer, with Micro-Circuits(tm) attenuators at the spdif terminus would adjust levels and minimize reflections/cross contamination.
Same goes for a USB source.

3. Unless at least one of those Dac DUTs are battery powered, we need to isolate the AC mains power between the units, to minimize 'backwash' cross contamination.

I've previously done single blind testing to evaluate power cords, analog and digital ICs connected to 2 exactly the same DACs (and then swapped DACs to re-verify conclusions). It is a non-trivial task. It is absurd for you to seriously suggest a DBT. Whenever I hear someone suggest a DBT, I can be reasonably certain, (witha few rare exceptions) they've not done a valid DBT themselves. YMMV

FWIW,
Paul

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
DBT is pointless because all normal listening is done sighted - i.e. we all know what we are listening to. If you do try a DBT, which if done properly will eliminate the effect of placebo then what you hear when listening sighted will differ because under DB conditions placebo contributes nothing. But in day to day listening, placebo is always present hence its meaningless to exclude it when testing.

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Totally agree Paul & furthermore the additional devices needed to achieve level matching, A/B instant switching (because audio memory is considered so poor) have to be tested to be NOT introducing any additional variables. Not to mention controlling for other variables that are part of any rigorous perceptual blind testing defined in Mushra "MUltiple Stimuli with Hidden Reference and Anchor" (if the differences are considered obvious) or probably even more appropriate - BS.1116 : "Methods for the subjective assessment of small impairments in audio systems including multichannel sound systems".

So yes agree with Opus too, listen to the DACs in your system over an extended period of time i.e live with them for a while!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
DBT is pointless because all normal listening is done sighted - i.e. we all know what we are listening to. If you do try a DBT, which if done properly will eliminate the effect of placebo then what you hear when listening sighted will differ because under DB conditions placebo contributes nothing. But in day to day listening, placebo is always present hence its meaningless to exclude it when testing.
...and for what we are listening. Most important we release all the variables we were trying to hold constant

Occam

[Industry Expert]
Dec 15, 2010
NYC
Actually, I find blind testing quite useful, and within my very narrow needs (evaluating cables) not all that difficult. But my use is quite specific, I'm not evaluating different dacs, but rather the same DACs where the DUT is a single (or pair of) cable(s). Nor is the goal to prove anything, but rather to guide my own development process. And some of those metrics while the outcome of a purely subjective experience are quite numeric, and not subject aural memory constraints, specifically, pointing.
The late Bob Crump, posited that the optimal cable direction, giving the most accurate tonality, dynamics,etc... is the orientation that gives the most accurate height information. The engineering behind not only portraying lateral information, points on an arbitrary 'compass', but also height and depth information via manipulation of phase information and delays is reasonably well known. The 'up and over' track on the 2nd Stereophile Test CD is a good example. One can analyze this sound staging, reported numerically, by simply pointing and noting distance. [inclination and distance are 'duals' of height and depth]
While I'm an agnostic on most DBT [not that I don't believe in them, but rather that I find them well nigh impossible to do correctly.] there are subjective measures that are numeric, and repeatable, nor subject to rapidly decaying aural memory and that is the ability of a component to subjectively allow the objective reporting of polar coordinates as engineered into recordings. YMMV. Sorry for the thread drift.

Regards,
Paul

Mortsnets

Jan 2, 2013
-- Mortsnets, Welcome! :b ...And Happy New Year!

Bob

Thanks, looks like a great board with a lot of expertise. Bob Walters of the Bay Area Audiophile Society recommended it. I really like that you guys have a place for the frugal end of things.
Craig

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Thanks, looks like a great board with a lot of expertise. Bob Walters of the Bay Area Audiophile Society recommended it. I really like that you guys have a place for the frugal end of things.
Craig

---- Hey Craig, frugality has certainly its very important place among the Best. :b

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China

That's cool - warm welcome from me - when my dream comes to fruition, the 'frugal' end will be mainstream and newbies will be more likely to say 'I love that you have a place for the esoterica' ;)

Mortsnets

Jan 2, 2013
The Bay Area Audiophile Society recently had a very well attended event comparing budget USB DACs. I wasn't able to attend but via email Jason reported that the Halide HD was very impressive especially considering the price includes built-in cables.

The DACs were:
Audioquest Dragonfly ($250)
iFi iDAC ($300) with iUSB ($200) power supply
Schiit Bifrost ($450 with USB)
Halide DAC HD ($495)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The Bay Area Audiophile Society recently had a very well attended event comparing budget USB DACs. I wasn't able to attend but via email Jason reported that the Halide HD was very impressive especially considering the price includes built-in cables.

The DACs were:
Halide DAC HD ($495)

So the most expensive cheap DAC won?

Mortsnets

Jan 2, 2013
Well the Halide includes a Wireworld Starlight ($90) usb cable built-in. Also they didn't seem to like the iFi iDAC without the optional power supply so you could say the second cheapest one won.

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
Halide DAC HD ($495)

All those DACs are using CMOS S-D single chips with voltage output. Which means on-board CMOS opamps - oodles of noise modulation from both the S-D processing and the opamps. I think the first two use ESS9023, the Schitt uses AKM4399 and the Halide, WM8716.

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
To add a bit more detail on noise modulation, here's a snippet from the AKM4399 datasheet to illustrate :

AKM4399-DNR.jpg

I'm able to decode these figures to show noise modulation because they also include a helpful FFT plot right at the back of the datasheet :

AKM4399-FFT.jpg

The FFT is showing the THD for a full scale 1kHz sine stimulus. The highest harmonic shown is -109dB for the 3rd. Armed with this information go back to the first snippet and note the THD+N for full-scale 1kHz sine stimulus is shown as -105dB. This tells me that the THD+N figure is not determined by the THD component, rather the 'N' component. With full-scale sine stimulus, the DAC is putting out -105dB white noise.

The noise is not constant notice because the -60dBFS stimulus figure shows a THD+N of -60dB. Therefore the noise has fallen 15dB in level to -120dB.

Note 5 tells us the figures were obtained in averaging mode on the AP2. Thus its safe to assume the peak noise modulation is considerably worse than 15dB.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
-- I really like the AKM DACs, in general; very articulate, detailed, and with tight deep bass.
Anthem uses them in their high-end pre/pros. ...So are other high-end audio manufacturers.

Wolfson DACs are generally smooth. ...Good match for bright speakers, I think.

Mortsnets

Jan 2, 2013
I guess Bob you've never heard a NOS DAC with low noise modulation? When you do, there's no going back as these parts all sound desperately dynamics-challenged :p

So you prefer the TDA1543 NOS for inexpensive DACs to all of these? How about for frugal USB conversion?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I guess Bob you've never heard a NOS DAC with low noise modulation? When you do, there's no going back as these parts all sound desperately dynamics-challenged :p

Hey, I am very restricted in my 'physical' audio evolution. ...My analog r.a.d.i.o. tuners use no DACs at all. :b ...Neither my turntables.

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing