For what it's Worth-Tesla

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I have seen a Lucid up close. Not a fan of the looks but it does have a very nice drive chain. Will not be able to use the supercharging network until I think 2025 which is important to me. Looking at Lucid’s financials and their inability to meet very modest targets, I there is no way I would plunk down over $100k for their car. Our new Y has fantastic build quality BTW.
Just saw a Lucid for the first time today. Drive train looks impressive but I would seriously worry about reliability of such complexity. Seems like it would also make the car less efficient…although they claim a pretty impressive range.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Gentlemen, let's stick with the topic please.

This thread is not about pedophilia, guilt or innocence, social values, Twitter, political views or anything other than Tesla. Thank you. Any further off topic posts will be deleted. Continued posts on the aforementioned might also result in administrative action being taken.

Tom

I hear you, and avoided being dragged into the morass previously, but this shows the difficulty of separating Elon from Tesla. Unlike a lot of auto companies, Elon is Tesla's PR department.

--------------------

Here's a recent discussion on the cybertruck, Tesla and Elon by a couple folks who are both reasonable and educated on the subject. There is missing context though, this podcast is a result of Jason's Hagerty video on the cybertruck which was followed by a previous TheSmokingTire podcast where Matt was critical of Jason's video, and maybe took the critique a little too far. But it resulted in a good discussion on the subject for those interested:

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
Could be.

I'm going to look at a Genesis EV.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I think there may be even more subsidies for the Tesla.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Wow Gregg doesn’t like Tesla. Who knew? I have a 2018 Model 3 with no autopilot. Having driven a Camry, there is no comparison as to the driving experience . Tesla wins by a mile. Well worth the money. Here in PA with the cost of gas, I saved way more in energy charges That this you tuber.

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
Sigh. Cars are like audio gear. You need to live with them for a while to see if they are right for you. I just passed the third anniversary of Tesla ownership and I love driving it every single time.

Reactions: christoph

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
?????????????you tube sent that video to me. I thought it was neutral. i declined to express an opinion. His car is five years old. I thought I posted another post with significant incentives available for EV in general. Combined with free supercharges could make a wider cost differential.
I suppose anything less than glowing praise is viewed as criticism. For the record, I have nothing against Tesla, per se. To me it's just another car company. Elon and X(Twitter) are another matter.

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
?????????????you tube sent that video to me. I thought it was neutral. i declined to express an opinion. His car is five years old. I thought I posted another post with significant incentives available for EV in general. Combined with free supercharges could make a wider cost differential.
I suppose anything less than glowing praise is viewed as criticism. For the record, I have nothing against Tesla, per se. To me it's just another car company. Elon and X(Twitter) are another matter.
Happy New Year! But for someone who has nothing against Tesla, per se, to whom it is “just another car company,” you sure spend a lot of time hanging around this thread.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Happy new year :)

Lol 70 % of the comments are coming from people who want to talk people out of buying one .
Do they have experience to back it up .... like owning one / having owned one ??

Forum nonsense , just like a lot of audio related issues.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Happy New Year! But for someone who has nothing against Tesla, per se, to whom it is “just another car company,” you sure spend a lot of time hanging around this thread.
My niece was going to buy or lease one. She solicited my advice.
I spend most of my time responding to post like yours.

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
My niece was going to buy or lease one. She solicited my advice.
I spend most of my time responding to post like yours.
Well if she “was going to buy or lease one,” that immaculate event seems to have passed, yet yer still at it…

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Yes. She is the poud owner of a Mazda CX-5 Turbo.
Then again commenting on things we will never own seems to becthe raison d'etre of this forum.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
The Cybertruck that was converted for snow tracks was pretty awful initially. The suspension and steering parts on it are extremely underwhelming for a truck. My condolences to anyone who bought one.

Funny thing is I do not have reservations about the cars, no one has been experiencing failures with them that are obvious flaws in that area.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I love the Y we have in our Florida place. Love my M3 but that Y is great. I have seen the Cybertruck up close. Love it.

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
Have owned a Model S for about 5 years now. Strange experience — in about 40 years, this is the first 5-year stretch where I didn’t have to spend countless hours waiting in my dealers’ showroom for my car to get serviced. Kind of miss that experience! I mean, who in their right mind would sell a car that doesn’t need service! Kind of defeats the purpose of a car. I always thought that a luxury car — having previously owned several BMWs, Audi’s, Lexus’, etc. — had the primary goal of making money for the dealers after you paid for car. Endless tuneups, oil change, spark plug replacement, fuel filter, timing belt, zillions of things that go wrong (virtually every BMW I ever owned had a faulty “check engine” sensor that needed to be fixed).

So, here’s a warning for prospective Tesla buyers: don’t buy this car if you love sitting in your dealer’s showroom waiting for your car to get fixed while drooling over the next car you’d buy to repeat the same experience. It’s a strange car that doesn’t need servicing. With unlimited free supercharging, I’m always freaked out that I drive thousands of miles past huge throngs of people waiting to fill their monster SUV gas guzzlers here in CA at the bargain rate of $6/gallon. Really miss the carcinogenic thrill of smelling gasoline at the pump. My Tesla has taken away all the “fun” of owning a car. I’m thinking I should “upgrade” it to a monster SUV so I can spend more time at my dealer and breathe in a lot more carcinogenic fumes.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Have owned a Model S for about 5 years now. Strange experience — in about 40 years, this is the first 5-year stretch where I didn’t have to spend countless hours waiting in my dealers’ showroom for my car to get serviced. Kind of miss that experience! I mean, who in their right mind would sell a car that doesn’t need service! Kind of defeats the purpose of a car. I always thought that a luxury car — having previously owned several BMWs, Audi’s, Lexus’, etc. — had the primary goal of making money for the dealers after you paid for car. Endless tuneups, oil change, spark plug replacement, fuel filter, timing belt, zillions of things that go wrong (virtually every BMW I ever owned had a faulty “check engine” sensor that needed to be fixed).

So, here’s a warning for prospective Tesla buyers: don’t buy this car if you love sitting in your dealer’s showroom waiting for your car to get fixed while drooling over the next car you’d buy to repeat the same experience. It’s a strange car that doesn’t need servicing. With unlimited free supercharging, I’m always freaked out that I drive thousands of miles past huge throngs of people waiting to fill their monster SUV gas guzzlers here in CA at the bargain rate of $6/gallon. Really miss the carcinogenic thrill of smelling gasoline at the pump. My Tesla has taken away all the “fun” of owning a car. I’m thinking I should “upgrade” it to a monster SUV so I can spend more time at my dealer and breathe in a lot more carcinogenic fumes.
in the one year since I bought an S as well as a Model 3 Performance, the Tesla app show that my wife and I have saved about $4K in gas. .....and no service calls. The only thing Ive had to do all year was to add windshield cleaner fluid to my wife's car last week

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing