DS Audio Grand Master Extreme

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sound smith stuff I love but the strain gage I felt was not great. Now this is in a tiny room st shows
So I can’t say how this can be In a proper room setup.
You need to hear the Straingauge in a well set up system and room, preferably with dual 24V linear power supplies. Then you'll likely come to a different conclusion.

Reactions: Alrainbow

Steve Rowan

Feb 12, 2012
St. Peters, MO
I’ve heard and set up many cartridges Sumiko, Koetsu, Audioquest, Linn, Grado, Dynavector and several others. Recently I purchased a Sikora Standard Max, an Integrity Tru-Glide tone arm, and the DS 003 cartridge and its energizer. All I can say is wow! I’ve not been that excited about vinyl in a long time. Dr. Vinyl was the villain responsible for recorrupting me. But his room at Axpona the last two years have just sounded amazing to me.
Thus the purchase.
I’ve never experienced a turntable system sounding that great!
The DS cartridge system I feel is a game changer. And while I enjoy the 003 Energizer, I’m now using the Meitner ds 02, and perhaps soon the eem labs Ds1.
I’m sure one of the higher ranked cartridges is in my future too.
And I can’t say enough great things about Dr. Vinyl and tutelage.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I own a ss cart an older flagship it’s like no others I have very close to tape in density
one day Maybe ill hear it done well.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I own a ss cart an older flagship it’s like no others I have very close to tape in density
one day Maybe ill hear it done well.
Worth the effort, undoubtedly.

Dr Vinyl

VIP/Donor
Apr 19, 2020
drvinyl.net
Kedar they don’t sound digital I thought this too.
I can’t say lower models but the one just below top is very good. Steve on here has one on the sakora table. I heard ds at shows and hated them. Until dr vinyl had a setup at axpona
my thinking it was something in the other rooms
One was boulder amp preamp and Sonos FABER speakers
but even when I asked them to play vinyl on table non ds audio it was the same hard sound.
at axpona same table in two rooms one ds audio and the other was doshi audio.
Ina direct compare its analog sounding not a hint at f digital.
Now I think there methods are not digital but I can’t confirm
But top analog sounding no doubt
That is because its totally Analog

Reactions: Alrainbow

BR549

Dec 3, 2019
I’ve had the Grandmaster EX on now for about two weeks and it has continued to improve. Leagues ahead of the grandmaster on my system and to my ear. Couldn’t be happier (other than the cost).

simonthepieman

Oct 2, 2020
I’ve heard and set up many cartridges Sumiko, Koetsu, Audioquest, Linn, Grado, Dynavector and several others. Recently I purchased a Sikora Standard Max, an Integrity Tru-Glide tone arm, and the DS 003 cartridge and its energizer. All I can say is wow! I’ve not been that excited about vinyl in a long time. Dr. Vinyl was the villain responsible for recorrupting me. But his room at Axpona the last two years have just sounded amazing to me.
Thus the purchase.
I’ve never experienced a turntable system sounding that great!
The DS cartridge system I feel is a game changer. And while I enjoy the 003 Energizer, I’m now using the Meitner ds 02, and perhaps soon the eem labs Ds1.
I’m sure one of the higher ranked cartridges is in my future too.
And I can’t say enough great things about Dr. Vinyl and tutelage.
OK just gone from ds003 with matching eq box to
The "semi flagship grand mater3 but with the W3 eq box

HOLY COW!

MASSIVE room filling soundstage so much faster,more dynamic, deeper bass with more control, more of every aspect of sound than before, my wide slab fronted Atc's aren't known for imaging, per say
The sound was between the speakers precisely
Now it's full width of the whole room.
I'm absolutely staggered, as was my installing dealer
Sme model 15 with series 5 arm
Music. Has never sounded,better for me

Reactions: gds7368

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing