Ethics of Switching Seats at a Classical Concert

Is it okay to move to an empty and better seat at a classical concert?

• Yes

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • No

Votes: 16 48.5%

• Total voters
In Canada you can bring your own wine in some restaurants...Quebec.
@ a tavern, strip joint, pub, bar, ... no.
@ a music concert hall, forget it; it's not a rock stadium.
@ a movie theater; home not public. ...And only for mindless movies.

In some countries drinking in public is an offense.
Taking another seat that you did not reserved is criminal, punishable with a sentence.

That's the spirit! Do you do it discreetly, like if it was your seat?

I just walk over and sit down. After the orchestra comes in and before they shut the door if it has other empty seats close (in case the idiot who really owns my seat turns up late and I need to move), or at the first break. Break is not necessarily interval but where the artists walk out to claps and walk back in. Possibly the audience is clapping because I am getting a better seat :p

The one guy who voted no should rewind his clock back and grow up at rock concerts instead of pretending propriety at classical concerts

I just walk over and sit down. After the orchestra comes in and before they shut the door if it has other empty seats close (in case the idiot who really owns my seat turns up late and I need to move), or at the first break. Break is not necessarily interval but where the artists walk out to claps and walk back in. Possibly the audience is clapping because I am getting a better seat :p

You have a way of thinking as a "free spirit". That's a good way of living. :D

It says ... "Your vote will be publicly visible."

It's dangerous, very.

Just checked. He owns dCS and Alexandria.. So maybe he has never been to a concert. But then he seems to like vinyl, so maybe he has been to concert, but just ended up not getting proper seats as he wouldn't shift

In Canada . . .

. . . Taking another seat that you did not reserved is criminal, punishable with a sentence.

That’s harsh! And all these years I thought Canadians were relaxed like Australians — like Australians who just happened to get stranded in the snow.

I wasn't referring to Canada when it comes to a seat. ...Only when it comes to wine in public places.

The places where it's preferable that you keep your own seat are more from "exotic" countries with enforcing laws. ...Saudi Arabia has different rules for musical performances.
They are starting to relax now, but it's not free fall for all.
And I'm not providing any link, just no way. Google is your buddy.
Or you can use this one: https://duckduckgo.com/

Last edited:
That’s harsh! And all these years I thought Canadians were relaxed like Australians — like Australians who just happened to get stranded in the snow.

Australians are not relaxed. They are the most competitive in sports

Reactions: the sound of Tao
Yes sure we win plenty of medals at the olympics per capita but then aren’t actually a world power at much else. Think we need to change our game plan.

Just checked. He owns dCS and Alexandria.. So maybe he has never been to a concert. But then he seems to like vinyl, so maybe he has been to concert, but just ended up not getting proper seats as he wouldn't shift

For some reason I can't quite explain, this post reminds me of the ones where Ron comes in and writes, "Please, NO politics."

Something about going back and researching the gear he owns, learning that he likes vinyl, and then passing judgement about the guy's behavior. I don't think I'll vote in the poll.

Whether or not one plays vinyl has nothing whatsoever to do with my poll question.

For some reason I can't quite explain, this post reminds me of the ones where Ron comes in and writes, "Please, NO politics."

Something about going back and researching the gear he owns, learning that he likes vinyl, and then passing judgement about the guy's behavior. I don't think I'll vote in the poll.

That was a poke on dCS and vinyl

If Ron thinks pinching a seat at a classical concert is bad behaviour, he needs to get out more LOL.

Reactions: Folsom and bonzo75
I never do it, because: a) some people do show up during the intermission; b) they may be season seats, so it's effectively trespassing; c) impossible to tell if the seats were just never sold

I never do it, because: a) some people do show up during the intermission; b) they may be season seats, so it's effectively trespassing; c) impossible to tell if the seats were just never sold

I'm with Ack on this. At the BSO, the better seats seem to be held by season ticket holders. The practice among my friends is if they can't attend a particular concert, they try to give their seats to friends or they return them back to the box office for a charitable deduction which allows the BSO to resell the seat to make more money. This helps the BSO and the patron.

At least in Boston, I generally don't see people moving to better seats at intermission or just before the beginning of the concert. I usually go on Friday afternoons and people seem to know their neighbors who are also regular season ticket holders.

What is appropriate probably varies by region and culture. I remember going to the opera in Vienna for four straight evenings. If the performance was not up to the audience's expectations, applause were muted and people would leave the show at intermission. This happened a couple times while I was there. I was lucky to be given a seat in the Director's box. If there was an empty seat, people would ask the neighbor if he or she minded if they sat down and switched seats. Permission was sought and granted before people moved.

I remember going to rock concerts when I was growing up in the Midwest. One friend regularly pretended to be sick so that he could con his way to the front near the stage. I followed him in his wake. That was pretty sleazy, but people did whatever they could to move up.

Narcissistic entitlement refers to a belief that one's importance, superiority, or uniqueness should result in getting special treatment and receiving more resources than others. ... Narcissistic entitlement also includes a willingness to demand this special treatment or extra resources.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing