At What SPL Do You Listen to Your Stereo?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Average sound levels are useless for sharing information - they strongly depend on the type of recording, listener averaging method (humans are very poor to perform acoustic averages) and measuring instrument.

In order to be reproduce sound levels we should also list peak level measured in fast mode. I have a few recordings that list such information about the studio live performance for a certain point of a track. I have found that in general, I listen at sound level about 6 ~ 9 lower than life.

Reactions: wil

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Two things that bug me:

1) listening at tiny levels constantly
And
2) being in a room that's overdriven

A db meter is a good idea but I still don't know why common sense re the above is so difficult ;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Two things that bug me:

1) listening at tiny levels constantly
And
2) being in a room that's overdriven

A db meter is a good idea but I still don't know why common sense re the above is so difficult ;)

Yes, the dB meter is only needed if we want to share our usual listening levels with WBF readers. It is relevant to appreciate and understand posters comments on many subjects.

Reactions: Kjetil

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I was at a concert tonight where peaks were 97dB but average was around 83dB.

Reactions: Scott Naylor

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Average sound levels are useless for sharing information - they strongly depend on the type of recording, listener averaging method (humans are very poor to perform acoustic averages) and measuring instrument.

In order to be reproduce sound levels we should also list peak level measured in fast mode. I have a few recordings that list such information about the studio live performance for a certain point of a track. I have found that in general, I listen at sound level about 6 ~ 9 lower than life.
for sure. our rooms are quiet and we are trying to relax and not cause fatigue. 'loud' should be very occasional, and our systems hopefully have great first watt's and are engaging and we feel musical caress at modest volumes. OTOH music needs to be 'present' and not just low background.

i might crank it on the occasional cut or side, but not even once a session. maybe once a week, or month.

good acoustics does help for the sound to fill the room, have bass hookup for some authority, and be lively at lower volumes. i want to feel musical intent.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

At What SPL Do You Listen to Your Stereo?​

At the maximum level the neighbours will allow me unfortunately
You need to get a house before you pick up your Gryphon Apex amps, i have ordered them for you already ! ;) I could never live in a apartment again, i would get shot by my neighbors for my listening habits !:eek: Bluegrass at 90 db around 4 AM ! :rolleyes:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
To me high end audio is a system that stays crystal clear through the freq range at loud volumes
It doesnt mean i listen loud all the time but thats where the qualities lie.
Its usualy the first test i do with speakers or amps

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
You need to get a house before you pick up you Gryphon Apex amps, i have ordered them for you already ! ;) I could never live in a apartment again, i would get shot by my neighbors for my listening habits !:eek:
Lol Your absolutely right.
I think the gryphons will sound mindblowing in that regard

Last edited:

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...I apparently need to grow a pair of audiophile cajones. I am always worried if I take out my phone/SPL app in the concert hall, they're going to give me das boot thinking I'm recording. OK, next time, I'm doing it. Probably...

• Haha
Reactions: the sound of Tao

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
It’s in part about dynamics and less compressed musical passages. Much is non steady and kind of pumps at times.
play some live Jessica Williams live at yosseys
if it’s not compressed peaks are 90 im
Sure yet it’s not loud to talk to someone next to me.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
My place is very acoustically isolated
not one can hear inside from outside
I also love home theatre as well.

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...I used to share a wall with a PITA neighbor in uni days. I found nothing says: "I love you" like Ethel Merman for 6:00 am wake-up at a stout volume! "You're the Top" or "There's No Business Like Show Business."

Highly recommended for psy-op projects, chasing raccoons off the property or other sonic endeavors.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I was at a concert tonight where peaks were 97dB but average was around 83dB.

Which genre of music? (I expect solo vocalist guitar will produce lower SPL than big classical symphony orchestra.)

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Which genre of music? (I expect solo vocalist guitar will produce lower SPL than big classical symphony orchestra.)
I think the opposite might be true. classical may have a large dynamic range impossible for our systems to replicate in real terms. but I think an avg
SPL might be lower. Where a jazz club recording is higher in avg and low dynamic rock even lower where it may have little peaks due to compression

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I think the opposite might be true. classical may have a large dynamic range impossible for our systems to replicate in real terms. but I think an avg
SPL might be lower. Where a jazz club recording is higher in avg and low dynamic rock even lower where it may have little peaks due to

Reactions: PeterA and morricab

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Blue grass at 4am? What kinda psychedelic trip is happening there :)
The best kinds… for those of us who refuse to go quietly into that dark night and never give up on youth… even at our age… and then even if it’s only virtual reality :eek:

Reactions: Lagonda and Solypsa

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
At Walt Disney Concert Hall tonight with Zubin Mehta conducting Symphonie Fantastique I measured in the front orchestra row in a dead center seat SPL routinely at 85dB to 95dB, peaking at 100dB.

So this is actual big symphony orchestra concert SPL.

At what SPL do you listen to big symphony orchestra classical music?
Ron,
What weighting are you using?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing