At What SPL Do You Listen to Your Stereo?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
At Walt Disney Concert Hall tonight with Zubin Mehta conducting Symphonie Fantastique I measured in the front orchestra row in a dead center seat SPL routinely at 85dB to 95dB, peaking at 100dB.

So this is actual big symphony orchestra concert SPL.

At what SPL do you listen to big symphony orchestra classical music?

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
It comes back to how long you can sustain listening volumes… a couple of hours per week at 85db to 90db is probably OK though I avoid even that now. If you are listening to music for a few hours every night sub 80db is probably more sustainable.

Both my brothers managed night clubs for a decade in the 90’s… both have severe industrial deafness. It’s amazing how quickly exposure to higher volumes in sound can get away on us though. I now have a db meter on my watch and manage it that way. I’ve built my current sound system around getting engaging music at less db…

Last edited:

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
It comes back to how long you can sustain listening volumes… a couple of hours per week at 85db to 90db is probably OK. If you are listening to music for a few hours every night sub 80db is probably more sustainable.

Both my brothers managed night clubs… both have industrial deafness.
Yep, totally get that. Just for some perspective: Personally, I have zero interest in listening to music in my home at 85-90 dB. Those are my personal "sensibilities" that inform my "requirements." And, as someone who worked for 10 years as a DFSS MBB (Master Black Belt), and who taught very sophisticated engineering teams how to develop products based on "customer requirements" (aka "VOC" - Voice of the Customer), a key point I used to teach is: ALL customer needs are equally VALID.

Yep, fully get that, also. Another reason I listen at fairly low SPL.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Yep, totally get that. Just for some perspective: Personally, I have zero interest in listening to music in my home at 85-90 dB. Those are my personal "sensibilities" that inform my "requirements." And, as someone who worked for 10 years as a DFSS MBB (Master Black Belt), and who taught very sophisticated engineering teams how to develop products based on "customer requirements" (aka "VOC" - Voice of the Customer), a key point I used to teach is: ALL customer needs are equally VALID.

Yep, fully get that, also. Another reason I listen at fairly low SPL.
Strangely I did think I was agreeing with you…

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Alright so I was very confused by the black belt in customer requirements… I once punched a client for being generally unattractive, is that not the same thing!! Only kidding.

I’m down at averaging at sub 60db listening for most kinds of music… more jazz and chamber music but not large scale classical and not deep house or EDM. I try to make the music sound right in terms of volume but no longer at the expense of my hearing. Anecdotally I’ve always driven the Maggie 20.7s harder (enjoying the sense of a ribbon panel energising the room) than my horns but have shifted down quite a ways since moving to horn OB panels where lesser volumes are generally still engaging. I rarely do doof doof any more even though I grew up in the rave music culture. I have apparently matured somewhat lol.

Last edited:

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Orchestral music: mostly 60-85 dB

GroovySauce

Nov 9, 2020
Peaks of 75dB I'm surprised at how often I check and peaks are 68-72dB. As it seems like it's much louder.

Reactions: trekpilot

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
It comes back to how long you can sustain listening volumes… a couple of hours per week at 85db to 90db is probably OK though I avoid even that now. If you are listening to music for a few hours every night sub 80db is probably more sustainable.

Both my brothers managed night clubs for a decade in the 90’s… both have severe industrial deafness. It’s amazing how quickly exposure to higher volumes in sound can get away on us though. I now have a db meter on my watch and manage it that way. I’ve built my current sound system around getting engaging music at less db…
My louder alone sessions or with some guests who like it loud we peak in the 95dB range but most of the time I am in the 60-80dB range. I was listening to Hugh Masekela Hope(nice live recording) recently where peaks were around 90dB and average around 80, which was enough to get a good live feeling without feeling really loud.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
T
Alright so I was very confused by the black belt in customer requirements… I once punched a client for being generally unattractive, is that not the same thing!! Only kidding.

I’m down at averaging at sub 60db listening for most kinds of music… more jazz and chamber music but not large scale classical and not deep house or EDM. I try to make the music sound right in terms of volume but no longer at the expense of my hearing. Anecdotally I’ve always driven the Maggie 20.7s harder (enjoying the sense of a ribbon panel energising the room) than my horns but have shifted down quite a ways since moving to horn OB panels where lesser volumes are generally still engaging. I rarely do doof doof any more even though I grew up in the rave music culture. I have apparently matured somewhat lol.
Tge Maggie’s needed more to “wake up” it seems…consistent with my experience with them.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I make a conscious effort to stay at the 85db safety limit but I carve a track or two worth of time allowing 100dB+ peaks. Me time is about 2 hours.

Reactions: Khorn

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I rarely do doof doof any more even though I grew up in the rave music culture. I have apparently matured somewhat lol.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo! Download some ARTBAT right now damn it! LOL!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Generally speaking, I start with the premise given the choice you will pick the loudest. Dynamics and resolution are vital to me . It varys from genre to genre. something as simpple as a plucked guitar presents a complex load. Attack and decay. require a lot of energy.
Cleanv power, low noise and distortion allow much higher spl without dress on the earsm

Reactions: Alrainbow

GroovySauce

Nov 9, 2020
SPL that we listen at is difficult to quantify as an average. Putting it into a range is also not so clear. Below is a sample of different songs. What is the SPL for the different songs played back at?

At this volume it's a fun experience. The bass is full and rich. Bass hits in a visceral way. The delicate atmospheric detail is deep and expansive.

Dominique Fils-aime - Birds.jpg
elderisland.jpg
Yaima-Force(acoustic).jpg

Atyya-Ancestors.jpg
HoweGelb.jpg

Reactions: Gregadd

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo! Download some ARTBAT right now damn it! LOL!
My soul misses the big nights out… but my body not so much :eek:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
At Walt Disney Concert Hall tonight with Zubin Mehta conducting Symphonie Fantastique I measured in the front orchestra row in a dead center seat SPL routinely at 85dB to 95dB, peaking at 100dB.

How far was your seat from the front of the orchestra? Orchestral recordings are not usually balanced to emulate front seats.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC

That's about where I listen, typically when it comes to big symphony orchestra's, but it is also recording dependent. <<< Big factor.

Regardless of the genre or performance, I try to match the volume level to where it would be, if I were at the venue or recording studio, listening live. For example, I may listen to big symphony orchestra at this level but there would be no way that I would ever listen to a solo guitarist, violinist or harpist at that level.

Typically and across all genre's, my typical SPL at the listening position averages around 78-80db. More or less, depending on things (some recordings are higher SPL or softer/older recordings than others, so I adjust accordingly) but when something extremely well recorded comes along with a great musical selection with a plethora of instruments? All rules are gone. I'll listen to it right up to the point to where the room overloads or the sound degrades (if only even a little bit), regardless of what the SPL level is or becomes. Then I'll turn it down one notch and enjoy the selection/album.

Tom

Reactions: AudioHR

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing