Entreq Tellus grounding,in england

Status
Not open for further replies.

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
Well I would draw attention to ' piling on '

This is the most prevalent behaviour trait within all humans... It underlines or is a constant theme within many of the posts here and indeed is the essence of much of the interaction on places such as these.

Also there is a history to the members and thier relationships to each other, it's often based only on interaction outside of the face to face but still valid type of perceived knowing or bond. This can often lead to teasing and or provocative type posts. It's perfectly healthy, purely a intellectual combat between two or more parties that all share a common goal or purpose. It's robust or can be but its vital in its own way.

One should ask why one desires a environment that's so controlled? So restricted? So intolerant!?!

I can assure you I do understand, and I also know where such desires when realised end up.

I would respectfully suggest the ' real ' issue and it's ' true ' significance has yet to be realised...

BE718

Sep 30, 2015
Wow. I don't know where to start. You haven't actually heard the gear in your own system. You certainly haven't given it a decent audition - period.You haven't actually seen it in your hands. You are just looking at photos on the internet of a box that has been hacked open and you've made your mind up by looking at the inside of the box and seeing the components laid out. You probably haven't heard my sound files. And you seem to ignore the many posts I have made in the other thread praising the improvements in the sound brought about by Entreq components. Instead you conclude that I am somehow enjoying a product that makes the sound worse and adds noise like an antenna. Yet you say that you want / need to measure it, but ironically and notwithstanding, without measuring it you've already decided that it just ruins the sound of components that are (according to you) flawed in design to begin with. This presumably includes the dCS Vivaldi DAC since a member here uses Entreq with that DAC as well and achieves an improvement in the sound - even with a component that is arguably the best engineered digital component in existence.

There seems to be no point arguing with someone like yourself because you've already made your mind up and obviously no one is going to change it. I'd opine, however, that reasonable, unbiased open-minded observers of this thread would be wondering how you've managed to crucify a component you actually have had nothing whatsoever to so with.

As for making the sound "better" or "worse", it is not nearly as simple as you obviously would like it to be. I use a digital workstation with analogue inputs and I was able to compare two Entreq products on that (copper and silver Minimus) along with no Entreq gear at all. I was able to compare (by real time monitoring) the straight analogue input, along with the recorded digital of that input - one recorded with no Entreq, one with copper Entreq and one with silver Entreq.

On my workstation (which by deliberate design is about as neutral as I have heard), the silver Entreq box inclusion produced a digital transcription of an analogue input more accurate sonically to that original analogue source than both the copper box - and certainly better than no Entreq at all. However when mixing (i.e working wholly in the digital domain with real time capture with DSP applied), the copper box produced a more accurate result than the other two methods. But on the consumer-based system I use in my living room (which like almost every system in existence has strengths and weaknesses, all of which colour the sound and give it a particular character), the silver box actually supplemented that particular character. So it was too much. The copper, however, did not accentuate those flaws and instead complimented them, thereby making the sound of that system more neutral. I am perfectly happy to concede that the copper worked better than the "better" silver in that system because that system is not high end and the flaws in it are more obvious than high end stuff. I'm not the first person in the world to prefer a lesser component in a system that synergises better than an expensive one and I won't be the last. However the fact that owners of gear vastly superior to mine get improved results from the silver box supports the notion that the more accurate and better engineered the system is, the better will be the result using the higher end Entreq stuff as opposed to the low end stuff.

As for Entreq products actually distorting the sound by adding noise (or whatever else you might suggest), this is completely at odds with my listening experience. If these products did distort the sound (say by adding RF or other noise or artefacts), there is no way that a greater low level of detail would be heard, better 3D imaging, better timbre, tighter bass and a more focussed high end. Because those things are never the results of lowering the quality of the source or the reproduction gear - those results are only achieved by improving it.

As for you asking about further measurements from me, I am declining for several reasons. Firstly, you have already been judge jury and executioner and nothing I do is going to change your mind. It will just give you more ammunition to keep on arguing. For example, were I to discover by measurement that the silver Entreq reduces noise from -120 dB at 50 Hz to -122 dB at 50 hz (whereas say the copper one reduces noise at 2 KHz by the same), you would simply argue that this is irrelevant because those levels are far beyond the audibility of humans and cannot possibly effect what we hear. I've been through this all before. I could then try to tell you that I can easily hear how dithering at a 24 bit level produces clearly audible results depending on the noise shaping (even though again there is no noise added even remotely within a human's hearing capability) and you'd just say the same thing. Or you would just point out flaws with the methodology, flaws with the equipment, flaws everywhere. Because you've already resolved to put these products in the flawed and rip-off category and therefore you have to ensure that all evidence to the contrary is ignored - just in the same way that not none single time have you even given one milligram of weight to the hundreds of users who have praised the gear and who wouldn't be seen dead removing it from their systems. You also ignore the anecdotal evidence (this happened to both myself and another user) where the Entreq cable was knocked off the terminal and we both wondered why our sound had gone downhill until we looked at the back of the system and saw the detached cable.

In any case, I only produced those comparative files as a one-off because I was on holidays, did not need to use the workstation for a couple of months and needed to do some bi-annual maintenance on it (complete strip down, clean and rebuild). It takes a little time for the system to optimise itself once again when the cable is reconnected and with daily use of the workstation, I can't afford to go experimenting again until the next service is due.

Very simple place to start is what do you think the boxes are actually technically doing. First of all explain the concept of the box grounding when it has no actual ground connection. (except possibly through your equipments existing connection assuming it is not double insulated)

I havent looked at the other thread. I see no basis to. I have already seen it is a poorly made plywood box with some bent pieces of copper and kitty litter in it.

I didnt conclude anything about RF, I offered it as a possibility.

I already have an opinion based on my technical knowledge. I have asked you to convince me and provide further technical information to explain how the box works in case I have missed, or misunderstood, or lack some pertinent knowledge.

If the box is doing something beneficial why arent you asking yourself what is amiss with your set up? Whats wrong with the grounding regime in your amp/dac etc? Personally I would be looking for equipment that isnt affected by this box.

I am sorry but your anecdotal / subjective evidence has little worth unless it was obtained under controlled conditions. After struggling to see what possible technical benefit the box could offer, it seems quite possible to me that any perceived differences could be due to placebo/expectation bias. It also should be pointed out that your lovely descriptions of the change in sound could well be due to negative changes in performance, you may just enjoy the sound of those additional distortions. Nothing wrong with that of course. Like whatever you like.

Again, can you point me in the direction of your recordings?

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
The issue with controversial technology like this is that it provides a virtual field day for trolls. Topics like cables, grounding units etc virtually act like giant troll magnets.

Over some considerable time I trialled Entreq's Silver Minimus, Silver Tellus and Olympus Minimus in a range of setups with copper thru to silver grounding cables including Apollo and Atlantis and applied both as signal and chassis grounds to amps, preamps and source as well as using the AC wraps and vibe eaters and the outcomes for me subjectively have been variable. The kind of results that lead me to suggest that they are quite possibly particularly system dependent in effect.

At their best the gear as a pattern of behaviour tends to provide flow and a fullness and seems to be able to rid some systems of the artefacts that distract from an easy connection to the emotional content of music making... at the worst they could push the signal too far into the passive and then undo the inherent dynamic drive of the mid bass structure and effectively make the musical structure lean towards too passive... but this was only within one system that already had a really good balance in terms of attack and decay.

Predominantly with Entreq the results for me have largely been great and very much in the music's favour and more than worth an audition. Bottom line - the gear makes the signal change in audible ways. Whether that is positive or otherwise is largely system and context specific so for those not having heard it within their system it really means that you have no real or genuine understanding of how it might sound.

As to Rodney Gold's great overview of the underlying issue posed by the kinds of conflict engendered by the potentially obsessive and compulsive ridden behaviour of those who come to a thread like this with only a virtual understanding of the idea of the approach and no real experience at all with the equipment. This and little genuine self interest or commitment other than just winding up a bit of conflict so that they ultimately bring with them little real value beyond some superficial observations on the way that the gear looks and some self inflated theorising on how it all might or might not work. The value of this is marginal if not next to useless and builds little on any real understanding of the effects of adding this particular gear to our systems.

Ps Beyond this the only known method of killing a troll is Rodney's great observation on piling on... Hopefully suffocating the sad creature till it relents in it's epic contagion of untold miseries. Do the world and the troll a favour... inspire it to go out and seek life experiences beyond the safe prison of its pet theories. Said with love.

Purite Audio

banned
May 28, 2013
www.puriteaudio.co.uk
Although I understand what's happened here and I understand it's inevitable or at least within the dynamic of our interactions on this forum, it still disappoints me.

Indeed the insides of these boxes can lead to ridicule of the product, those who are happy with theirs should not concern them selfs with the arguments of others more sceptical.

its all a non issue, or at least should be as these pictures have been about for years. What's new?

If you can't take a little joke or indeed tolerate some other members thinking your a little crazy best not post on forums.

Best not be a audiophile as most of the outside world will think your nuts! A good indicator to you all to take your selfs a little less seriously! Maybe learn to laugh at our own selfs?

Keith thinks putting sorbathane under things makes them sound better! I think it's the worst thing to use, certainly in any large amount. It kills music just like davec says....

I don't mind Keith thinking I am looney! We are all looney to various degrees!! ... Including Keith ;)

If your enjoying your entreq boxes great! Of course they could be made better but then would cost more, I am sure the improvement would have little impact on thier function.
Justto pick you up on one small point, Visco elastic material, correctly loaded makes a very capable broad band isolator, that is measureable, whether you believe it improves sound quality or not is subjective.
Keith.

BE718

Sep 30, 2015
The issue with controversial technology like this is that it provides a virtual field day for trolls. Topics like cables, grounding units etc virtually act like giant troll magnets.

Over some considerable time I trialled Entreq's Silver Minimus, Silver Tellus and Olympus Minimus in a range of setups with copper thru to silver grounding cables including Apollo and Atlantis and applied both as signal and chassis grounds to amps, preamps and source as well as using the AC wraps and vibe eaters and the outcomes for me subjectively have been variable. The kind of results that lead me to suggest that they are quite possibly particularly system dependent in effect.

At their best the gear as a pattern of behaviour tends to provide flow and a fullness and seems to be able to rid some systems of the artefacts that distract from an easy connection to the emotional content of music making... at the worst they could push the signal too far into the passive and then undo the inherent dynamic drive of the mid bass structure and effectively make the musical structure lean towards too passive... but this was only within one system that already had a really good balance in terms of attack and decay.

Predominantly with Entreq the results for me have largely been great and very much in the music's favour and more than worth an audition. Bottom line - the gear makes the signal change in audible ways. Whether that is positive or otherwise is largely system and context specific so for those not having heard it within their system it really means that you have no real or genuine understanding of how it might sound.

As to Rodney Gold's great overview of the underlying issue posed by the kinds of conflict engendered by the potentially obsessive and compulsive ridden behaviour of those who come to a thread like this with only a virtual understanding of the idea of the approach and no real experience at all with the equipment. This and little genuine self interest or commitment other than just winding up a bit of conflict so that they ultimately bring with them little real value beyond some superficial observations on the way that the gear looks and some self inflated theorising on how it all might or might not work. The value of this is marginal if not next to useless and builds little on any real understanding of the effects of adding this particular gear to our systems.

Ps Beyond this the only known method of killing a troll is Rodney's great observation on piling on... Hopefully suffocating the sad creature till it relents in it's epic contagion of untold miseries. Do the world and the troll a favour... inspire it to go out and seek life experiences beyond the safe prison of its pet theories. Said with love.

Interesting position. It appears that those who are believers in the product do not want anything said to the contrary. Dont want others to rationally explore what it is claimed to do and its method of operation. Why do they accuse others who seek this enlightenment to be trolls? Why the overt attacks? I have to ask what they are afraid of?

My understanding of the technicalities is not virtual, this appears to be firmly in the territory of those who believe the product has a beneficial effect. I am still waiting for someone to come forward and explain how the box works.

Just something else for you to consider is what are the reasons for a plywood box containing some bent pieces of copper and unidentified granular material (which some strongly suspect is kitty litter) to be more effective than bonding said components directly (from an earthing POV)? What if your kit is double insulated?

BE718

Sep 30, 2015
Justto pick you up on one small point, Visco elastic material, correctly loaded makes a very capable broad band isolator, that is measureable, whether you believe it improves sound quality or not is subjective.
Keith.

Keith, seriously, everyone knows that solid metal cones are the only way to isolate vibration.

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Speaking as someone who hasn't heard any of these products, you are coming off a lot like the Catholic missionaries who tried to convert the Indians and Aztecs. If a group of people have decided their lives are fine with these devices in them why do you (and others) need to take it upon yourself to "educate" them? Let them live their lives in their supposed delusion. It's no harm no foul. The usual excuse I hear is that delivering the "science" will prevent others from being scammed in the future. Well that supposes that all future purchasers are in need of saving or want to be saved. No doubt there is a lot of woo out there but not everyone needs to be saved.

Interesting position. It appears that those who are believers in the product do not want anything said to the contrary. Dont want others to rationally explore what it is claimed to do and its method of operation. Why do they accuse others who seek this enlightenment to be trolls? Why the overt attacks? I have to ask what they are afraid of?

My understanding of the technicalities is not virtual, this appears to be firmly in the territory of those who believe the product has a beneficial effect. I am still waiting for someone to come forward and explain how the box works.

Just something else for you to consider is what are the reasons for a plywood box containing some bent pieces of copper and unidentified granular material (which some strongly suspect is kitty litter) to be more effective than bonding said components directly? What if your kit is double insulated?

BE718

Sep 30, 2015
Speaking as someone who hasn't heard any of these products, you are coming off a lot like the Catholic missionaries who tried to convert the Indians and Aztecs. If a group of people have decided their lives are fine with these devices in them why do you (and others) need to take it upon yourself to "educate" them? Let them live their lives in their supposed delusion. It's no harm no foul. The usual excuse I hear is that delivering the "science" will prevent others from being scammed in the future. Well that supposes that all future purchasers are in need of saving or want to be saved. No doubt there is a lot of woo out there but not everyone needs to be saved.

Oh my goodness there really is a lot of presumption going on here. I am the one asking to be educated. I am fascinated to find out how these boxes work from a technical POV, because if they do there is obviously something unusual, interesting and potentially useful to be learnt.

So basically what you are saying is its OK for some to extol the alleged virtues of a product but there is no place for it to be questioned. OK, I can see where this is going.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
A peddler in the industry? And you speak of professionalism? If you all of you acted professional, we would not need to manage this forum anymore. It would run by itself.

Why don't you set the example in that regard? Maybe then your countryman will follow. It is this sort of antagonism that causes all of these fights and disputes.

Amir, as neither myself or my alter-ego are practitioner in the Nobel art of HiFi Dealer, and as it was entirely within that context that my comments regarding Professionalism were made, I fail to see your point.

Should the day dawn where I to morph into a recidivist denigrator of equipment (Not just Entreq) within a fellow 'professional' dealers portfolio, especially of a competitor, and in doing so transgress the bounds of what I consider 'professional' conduct, I may consider your advice Amir.

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
No, actually what I am doing is noting how you are coming across. I think it's perfectly fine to ask the technical questions. When no answers are forthcoming, instead of investigating on your own you persist, assuming that the posters have the relevant knowledge to answer you questions. I would assume that most people have no idea of the science (or lack thereof) behind the products in their system. The way most do it is hear about something that piques their interest, they arrange for an audition, then determine whether it improves the system or makes their time listening better.

You seem to believe that the lack of answer equates to quackery and that this needs to be rooted out. What I, and others are saying, is why don't you try the piece and see if it makes any difference? Then if it does figure out why. If it doesn't well chalk it up to system dependance or quackery whichever you are inclined.

For the record I have never heard any of these grounding systems, and like you have wondered how and why they work as they aren't truly grounding anything. Unlike you I haven't a priori decided that they won't work because no one has explained it to me sufficiently.

Oh my goodness there really is a lot of presumption going on here. I am the one asking to be educated. I am fascinated to find out how these boxes work from a technical POV, because if they do there is obviously something unusual, interesting and potentially useful to be learnt.

So basically what you are saying is its OK for some to extol the alleged virtues of a product but there is no place for it to be questioned. OK, I can see where this is going.

BE718

Sep 30, 2015
No, actually what I am doing is noting how you are coming across. I think it's perfectly fine to ask the technical questions. When no answers are forthcoming, instead of investigating on your own you persist, assuming that the posters have the relevant knowledge to answer you questions. I would assume that most people have no idea of the science (or lack thereof) behind the products in their system. The way most do it is hear about something that piques their interest, they arrange for an audition, then determine whether it improves the system or makes their time listening better.

You seem to believe that the lack of answer equates to quackery and that this needs to be rooted out. What I, and others are saying, is why don't you try the piece and see if it makes any difference? Then if it does figure out why. If it doesn't well chalk it up to system dependance or quackery whichever you are inclined.

For the record I have never heard any of these grounding systems, and like you have wondered how and why they work as they aren't truly grounding anything. Unlike you I haven't a priori decided that they won't work because no one has explained it to me sufficiently.

Well considering that Entreq themselves don't appear to know how it allegedly works I'm not sure there is anything to investigate for myself.

Again you are making lots of false presumptions. Your ad hominem speaks volumes. If someone wants to send me a box I will try it objectively, but I certainly won't spend any of my own money on it without some basis beyond faith for its efficacy.

The logic that you have to try this product before you can derive an informed opinion about it is quite false.

The fact that most people here may not know the science behind the products in their system is irrelevant. The fact remains there is demonstrateable and reference able science behind all of it. However It seems that no- one is able to point to any scientific information regarding entreqs method of operation, so excuse me for being sceptical. Why is my well founded scepticism met with these denigrating comments that I'm on some kind of mission?

So please feel free to rely on faith and please respect my preference to inquire, investigate the science and challenge that which is unexplained.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir, as neither myself or my alter-ego are practitioner in the Nobel art of HiFi Dealer, and as it was entirely within that context that my comments regarding Professionalism were made, I fail to see your point.
In US culture, a peddler is a derogatory term for someone who goes door to door to sell something. I lived in UK for a while so maybe you tell me that it is not a derogatory term but something tells me it is or you would not have chosen that term to describe him. Further, the term has to have meaning in this context. It doesn't. You were just trying to put him down personally which is against our terms of service and importantly opposite of the plea you had for professionalism.

Should the day dawn where I to morph into a recidivist denigrator of equipment (Not just Entreq) within a fellow 'professional' dealers portfolio, especially of a competitor, and in doing so transgress the bounds of what I consider 'professional' conduct, I may consider your advice Amir.
You should conduct yourself professionally so only the people who are not so fall out and get noted. And further, we are not here to discuss people, but audio.

As to listening to me or not, well, I am one of the people who has to be convinced to sanction someone which I assume is your intent with respect to Keith and this conversation. If you don't care what I think, well that goes against your objective there.

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
I agree but I don't like this approach. Correctly loaded is the point, this does not include putting kit on bits or sorbathane hap hazard. Like arc do, or like most folks who try sorbathane will do.

Load it right with the right pressure then ok, maybe.

Yes amir referring to my absent farther/ Keith as a ' peddler ' is derogatory in our culture too. Though the poster in question holds a lofty tone, one hopes with implied humour. At least that's how I take him. But still a glorious contradiction. Ironic sentiment seems to escape grasp on both sides of the pond... I am a Disappointed English man today.

Still entreq boxes look like a bad school boy wood work project... What's new?

And yes it may well turn out entreq like so many are making products that may have subjective benefits but they them selfs might not know exactly why! ... What's new? Where is the revelations thats proving to be a catalyst for such hysterical out burst?

Stillpoints seem to change sound but there is a argument as to why! So what!?both sides Seems reasonable and plausible.... Oh difference! Wow! Let's get upset!?

Umm...

Why not just take interest in opposing views? The right can be decided by what we buy or chose to sell... Good enough?!

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I don't think this is a practical solution to anything. Recently someone said my amplifier sounded terrible. I engaged him on reasons why and we had a conversation. I did not put him in a spot to go and acquire said $50,000 amplifier or find a dealer to spend time auditioning only to have a conversation about it online.

Ultimately this is what it is about. Why can't we have conversation about such topics without preset requirements or else we are upset and want to quit? Or want to go after certain individuals for saying this and that?

I read the pinkfish thread and it went for three pages peacefully and that was that. What is it about our membership that makes it hard to look at a set of pictures and not lose our cool???

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Here is another thing :). If I went and bought one of these and then wrote the same comments, who here would feel better about the conversation? My experience says no one as we saw in the AQ and Regen examples. But if I am wrong about this, let's hear it.

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Amir,

My wording may have lacked finesse but I think we are on the same page about civil discourse. The only issue is that when engaged over a comment similar to "I heard ... And it made my system better" someone either doesn't answer the technical question directly, it sometimes turns into a witch hunt. It does also happen the other way but as this to me is a subjective hobby i.e. there are no winners or champions declared why can't the tech oriented then go off into their own sandbox and discuss the lunacy of said tweak without sticking around to berate the less tech bent.

I make a living collecting and analyzing environmental data. I have seen people use these data without context to hilarious results. I feel the same way about someone who is lecturing people less measurement oriented about something they have not heard.

Someone made a crack earlier about jumping off a building to see what it's like. Well I wouldn't unless I had a chute but I have done something many would see as equally crazy and dipped a bare finger in molten lead to no ill effect. Just because you think it's obvious that something should be done doesn't make it necessarily so. A little education and some practical experience can open eyes.

I don't think this is a practical solution to anything. Recently someone said my amplifier sounded terrible. I engaged him on reasons why and we had a conversation. I did not put him in a spot to go and acquire said $50,000 amplifier or find a dealer to spend time auditioning only to have a conversation about it online.

Ultimately this is what it is about. Why can't we have conversation about such topics without preset requirements or else we are upset and want to quit? Or want to go after certain individuals for saying this and that?

I read the pinkfish thread and it went for three pages peacefully and that was that. What is it about our membership that makes it hard to look at a set of pictures and not lose our cool???

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk

Good question my lord, maybe something about the name WBF attracts elitist types that don't like to be questioned? ;)

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
I for one would but point taken. The real issue is that both sides have outs and generally people don't move from the bride's side to the groom's without a lot of prodding.

in this case it too would question the added value over a DIY solution but again I have explored nothing in this area.

Here is another thing :). If I went and bought one of these and then wrote the same comments, who here would feel better about the conversation? My experience says no one as we saw in the AQ and Regen examples. But if I am wrong about this, let's hear it.

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
I have :)

Shock horror you can make things your self cheaper than buying them! But maybe the end result won't be as good but maybe some times it is....

Either way people will disagree vehemently... Oh nothing new, not shocking not worth getting offended over. some times they will be right but not necessarily for the reasons they think, some times they will just be plainly deluded. ... But as long as they are not coming round to my house in the night and taking my hifi away or my home made improvements I don't care. After all I may wel be wrong so finding that out will make my music better... Win win, nothing to get upset about! Again!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing