Entreq Athena

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Regular readers of the Entreq thread will know that I have a very high regard for Entreq grounding and their cables and yesterday I took delivery of an Athena rack for trial in my system.
The Athena is an oak rack system available in a range of configurations. There are three levels of shelves comprising 3,7 and 8 layers of cross glued oak and the latter two also incorporate a "silvernet" tp pick up electronic radiation and a silver binding post to connect to a ground box with an Entreq earth cable.Full details are available on the Entreq site.
I had chosen a three shelf level two rack for my amp,tuner and Sky HD box as that was the easiest to fit in.It was installed yesterday evening. The installation didn't include earthing the shelves but we had a quick try with earthing the top shelf on which the amplifier stands with a Silver Tellus and silver earth cable. The difference and improvement with the earthing was immediately apparent but I wasn't able to hang on to the Silver Tellus/earth cable and subsequent listening yesterday evening was just to the rack.
Immediate impressions were of more life, air and vitality in the music and just more music on CD/SACD, vinyl and FM radio.Further listening confirmed that until early into the morning.
This morning my listening started with Radio Three's record review and the improvement over the previous Naim rack was significant. All the improvements listed above but enhanced by the overnight settle in period,
I then removed the Receivus from the top of the amplifier and connected its Atlantis earth cable to the top shelf with the amplifier. Yes it did sound even better. I then listened to a CD The Well Tempered Lute and it was on a par with two vinyl recordings by Julian Bream. Next up was the Abkco DSD remaster of the Rolling Stones Aftermath. Sounded fabulous.
I should add that the previous evening's listening were in conjunction with a T+A PDP 3000 HV CD/SACD player which replaced the DCS 3 box Scarlatti I had been trying prior to this trial of the T+A, both on one of my other Naim racks so not a completely unfair comparison since both were on a Naim rack, but probably a bit unfair to the Scarlatti which I was not able to try with the Athena rack, I'll post separately on the T+A as promised earlier.
With or without the grounding of the shelves to an earth box the Athena is a real game changer compared to the Naim Fraim. It is also more accommodating of components than the three column Naim which has become an increasing problem with successive upgrades.
I am sure the current Athena will become a permanent resident and that the two other Naim racks will also be replaced by Athena in hopefully the not too distant future.
In conclusion I highly recommend the Athena rack. IMHO another winner from PO and Entreq.
Hopefully the photo below will give you a picture of how it looks. View attachment 26427

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Hi Barry , nice assessment on the Athena . I am using their top level rack , it replaced my Finite Elemente Master Pagode . The grounding elements on each shelf have a subtle but meaningful improvement , very worth while . I have further gone whole hog and dedicated my 6 Receivus tabs to a dedicated ST and am awaiting further muscle in the form of an Atlantis Tellus for it . Also two Atlantis Minimus for each speaker binding Posiedon post . I am told this is uncharted territory , should be interesting to see how it reacts . Entreq is fun stuff, Enjoy !

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
congrats!

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi Barry , nice assessment on the Athena . I am using their top level rack , it replaced my Finite Elemente Master Pagode . The grounding elements on each shelf have a subtle but meaningful improvement , very worth while . I have further gone whole hog and dedicated my 6 Receivus tabs to a dedicated ST and am awaiting further muscle in the form of an Atlantis Tellus for it . Also two Atlantis Minimus for each speaker binding Posiedon post . I am told this is uncharted territory , should be interesting to see how it reacts . Entreq is fun stuff, Enjoy !

Thanks Jazzhead
It is fun stuff!
Keep us posted.

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
Right, so thought I was all done with Entreq stuff now I have all my components hooked up. So thanks Barry and Jazzhead ;) Looks like I need to start saving again :) Good thing a good rack is something I have never gotten around to and is the next thing on the "to do" list. I suppose the good thing with Entreq is the gear is effectively for life. you don't necessarily have to upgrade when you upgrade other components.

btw Barry, for some reason I cannot see the attachment.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks Jonathan.
The attachment opens fine for me so not sure what the problem is at your end.
I'll try sending it to you in a PM

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Barry2013,

FWIW, I could not open the attachment either.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
thanks! so the silvernet is inside the shelves?

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Yes Lloyd in the level 2 and 3 shelves with a silver binding post at the rear.
Just finished listening to Radio 3 Private Passions with Andy McNab ex SAS etc who is an opera fan. One of his choices was Handel's Messiah and Unto us a Child is Born by Sargent and Huddersfield Choral Society sounded sublime. The words were so clear and I am sure the rack has made a clearly audible improvement.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great stuff...so this is like having 2 giant Entreq Receivus (on top and below)? I know how much more easily i could understand words on Handels Messiah (one of my reference though a different version than yours) after using the Receivus.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Yes and I am advised that the emi/rfi travels vertically up and down rather than horizontally so as we tend to stack our components that way the shelves provide above and below protection.
The tech members may have views on that but the rack is certainly sounding good in my system. Will later move the Atlantis earth cable to the middle rack and see how that works pending a more comprehensive earthing.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
great stuff. thanks and look forward to reading more.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
On Wednesday I got all three shelves earthed with two Challenger earth cables, an existing Silver cable and a new Silver Tellus.
This was done in conjunction with some other cable upgrades which I have posted on the cables upgrade thread.
Can't say what has done what at this stage but the combined effects have been significant to say the least and I'm sure the rack has made a real contribution to the improvements detailed in the other thread.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Barry

I am curious as to the mode of action the Entreq rack

Thanks Steve
There are three grades of shelves for the Athena rack.
They are made of 3,8 and 11 layers of crossed glued oak to reduce vibration. Oak is as you know a very dense wood so well suited to that purpose. The 2nd and third incorporate what is described as a silvernet and silver earthing points to attach an Entreq grounding cable which you then connect to an Entreq ground box of your choice.The quality of the woodworking which is not an easy job to do really well is first class.
The silvernet is designed to capture the vertical up and down electronic emissions from equipment which I am advised radiate up and down in an egg shaped pattern.
When I first used it with one earthing cable on the top shelf housing the Vitus SIA 025 there was a noticeable improvement in the clarity and musicality of the sound. The latest additions were all done in one go as I intimated and I am reluctant to do any uncoupling until the system has settled and all the cables have "burned in" but the overall effect has been a really significant improvement as described.
I am satisfied with the utility of the Athena, it looks attractive in my lounge and enables good access to the backs of components for any cable changes etc.
What the measurement enthusiasts might think about it all goodness knows but what Entreq say sounds logical enough to me and my ears support that.
Hope that helps and thanks for your interest Steve

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Thanks Steve
There are three grades of shelves for the Athena rack.
They are made of 3,8 and 11 layers of crossed glued oak to reduce vibration. Oak is as you know a very dense wood so well suited to that purpose. The 2nd and third incorporate what is described as a silvernet and silver earthing points to attach an Entreq grounding cable which you then connect to an Entreq ground box of your choice.The quality of the woodworking which is not an easy job to do really well is first class.
The silvernet is designed to capture the vertical up and down electronic emissions from equipment which I am advised radiate up and down in an egg shaped pattern.
When I first used it with one earthing cable on the top shelf housing the Vitus SIA 025 there was a noticeable improvement in the clarity and musicality of the sound. The latest additions were all done in one go as I intimated and I am reluctant to do any uncoupling until the system has settled and all the cables have "burned in" but the overall effect has been a really significant improvement as described.
I am satisfied with the utility of the Athena, it looks attractive in my lounge and enables good access to the backs of components for any cable changes etc.
What the measurement enthusiasts might think about it all goodness knows but what Entreq say sounds logical enough to me and my ears support that.
Hope that helps and thanks for your interest Steve

It does indeed. Thanks for the explanation

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
While I don't wish to intrude on an Entreq thread--from the comments above I would like to add some observations from my perspective --

Firstly I have heard both Entreq and Tripoint units installed systems and having heard Steve's marvellous home system I'll throw in my penny's worth!--

Whilst the Swedish versions are admirable and do offer some benefit at the cost point and I'd have no hesitation in recommending them for audition in any system -but I'd emphasis the cost point factor --albeit with light tongue in cheek;)

I've had correspondence with the Folks at Entreq and they are most amiable and proud of their products

However in the context hypothetically of Steve's environment and his S O T A gear I'd vouch that the Tripoint Emperor would offer the most noticeable sonic benefits

having heard this product switched in and out of a Hi -End System while listening to LP playback convinced me this --if I was in Steve's shoes it would be my first item to Audition

--should the itch need to be scratched:D

VVMV

BruceD

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
In my view both products have their merits and they are not mutually exclusive.
Mike Lavigne and LL21 successfully use both in their systems.
The Athena rack seems to me,however, to be in a somewhat different category. In addition to its function as a rack it is intended to hoover up the emissions from equipment which I imagine are still an issue even if you are already using Entreq and/or Tripoint for signal and/or chassis grounding.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
In my view both products have their merits and they are not mutually exclusive.
Mike Lavigne and LL21 successfully use both in their systems.
The Athena rack seems to me,however, to be in a somewhat different category. In addition to its function as a rack it is intended to hoover up the emissions from equipment which I imagine are still an issue even if you are already using Entreq and/or Tripoint for signal and/or chassis grounding.

I love the look of the Athena rack system. and whether one preferred the Entreq or Tripoint Troy approach the Athena might still be appropriate.

unfortunately for me it seems to not be optimal for my Herzan active isolation shelves. it does not appear to be 'spike' compatible so does not allow for grounding to a concrete floor. and since it's wood it's going to have some compliance. my thought is that one would need to choose between the Athena and active isolation. just my 'SWAG'......I could be wrong.

when I first stacked my Playback Designs MPS-5 on top of my dart pre so my Herzan TS-150 could benefit both I experienced noise in my phono stage. I found when I used a Symposium 'Svelte Shelf' between my dart pre and Playback Designs digital player that my noise in the phono ceased. it makes sense that the same principle would apply to all gear to some degree. and collectively it could be an advantage. one's mind needs to be open to the possibilities.

I'd say performance advantages to this approach might be quite contextual.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing