Enough Tubes For You?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Anyone who says that tube stereo gear isn’t a pain in the ass to own has never owned tube gear. As the number of output tubes increases, the pain in the ass factor increases exponentially. The most reliable tube amp I ever owned was my ARC D-76. One pair of GE 6550s per channel with bias ‘easy’ to set by using a DVM with a ¼ phone jack and care exercised not to burn your fingers as you plugged in the jack between the hot output tubes. Once you start doubling the amount of output tubes, reliability doesn’t increase I can assure you.

Tube preamps are another joy unto themselves. You are always fighting noise and microphonics. Quiet today and noisy tomorrow is the mantra or nightmare of tube preamps.

Mep,

Sorry to say I disagree, as you know. It is much less a pain in the ass than sending a 90kg Krell to be serviced ... :)

BTW, I always use thin leather gloves when I grill with coal, do amateur carpentry or test tubes.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO

Thanks!

Second link did not work for me... The first, well, heck! I built a differential cascode tube preamp in college and sold it for enough to pay for a semester's classes. It had great specs, and the guy who bought it loved it, but others thought it sounded too SS. Go figure.

Still does not cover their OTL design, unless it is also differential with cathode-coupled outputs.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Tube preamps are another joy unto themselves. You are always fighting noise and microphonics. Quiet today and noisy tomorrow is the mantra or nightmare of tube preamps.

Modern tube preamps are much better in this regard IMO. Better circuits, running the tubes more conservatively in their linear region, etc.

I have heard tube preamps, with MC tube phono-stages that have blacker backgrounds than very well regarded solid state preamps. One from Vacuum State the other the EAR 912. And my friend probably has well over 5000 hours in the tubes in his 912.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Mep,

Sorry to say I disagree, as you know. It is much less a pain in the ass than sending a 90kg Krell to be serviced ... :)

BTW, I always use thin leather gloves when I grill with coal, do amateur carpentry or test tubes.

You say this in jest don't you because if this amp has to be serviced ... Extreme performance requires sometimes extreme logistics so if someone can afford the amp I suppose logistics are not an issue .. All good then

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Anyone who says that tube stereo gear isn’t a pain in the ass to own has never owned tube gear. As the number of output tubes increases, the pain in the ass factor increases exponentially. The most reliable tube amp I ever owned was my ARC D-76. One pair of GE 6550s per channel with bias ‘easy’ to set by using a DVM with a ¼ phone jack and care exercised not to burn your fingers as you plugged in the jack between the hot output tubes. Once you start doubling the amount of output tubes, reliability doesn’t increase I can assure you.

I have to say that hasn't been my experience with tube gear Mark. OTOH that's why I've owned cj. I've had three issues in 25 years of owning cj gear (and one doesn't really count since it was a blown resistor in a 8 year old MV75A1; hell that stuff happens in eight year old Krells too!). And my ART amplifier with 8 output tubes/channel has operated flawlessly since I bought them.

As far as preamps, I've never had issues with microphonics--but as we all know that greatly depends on the tube type selected and how hard the manufacturer drives them (esp. with output tubes in amps).

Phono sections are another story but I've had more of an issue with tube microphonics with NOS rather than new tubes. The worst tubes in my experience nowadays are the JJECC83s. Had three go w/in 100 hours. Switched to the new reissued Tungsols and haven't looked back since.

Personally, have known as many issues with ss as with tube amps. And I don't know anyone killed by a tube amp (remember the Rappaport solid-state amp?).

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Funny, i hear people on their concerns about tubed equipment. That said [so far!] i have had one SS Class A amp (14 yrs old) end up with a capacitor problem that took forever to hunt down and fix (since sold)...and the amp on my Velodyne blew. Both SS! Tubed pre, DAC (still have both) and an earlier mid-powered tubed amp (also now sold) have been fine so far.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Reading some of these replies one would conclude that TUbes are more reliable than SS ...ooooooooookay ...

trh8654

May 29, 2010
Virginia
I though I used alot tubes in my system, 56 total, but those amps are crazy.
In the last ten years my breakdowns have all been SS amps. Krell, Ayre, and parasound. One breakdown with my tube preamp. Hope I didnt just jinx myself.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Reading some of these replies one would conclude that TUbes are more reliable than SS ...ooooooooookay ...

No I would think it's fairer to say that reliability is a function of the manufacturer and the product's design. It's just as easy to build a bad -- or even have a bad batch of a certain part --- for ss and tube products.

While I won't name companies publicly, let me give one example. A ss manufacturer had some years ago just switched over to using wave soldering techniques (at the dawn of wave soldering) and had countless issues with their ss amplifiers because of cold solder joints, etc.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012

The Russian military liked them long after we Americans abandoned them. Then again, I gather flying Aeroflot isn't exactly the same experience as, say, Singapore Airlines. :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
You say this in jest don't you because if this amp has to be serviced ... Extreme performance requires sometimes extreme logistics so if someone can afford the amp I suppose logistics are not an issue .. All good then

Wrong assumption - I am being serious. The Atmasphere MA2's are some of the more reliable and easiest to service amps in the world. The circuit is very simple and point-to-point wired - no PCBs. It is feedback free. As they are mono blocks if one has a problem you just take a multimeter and compare resistances and voltages between the two units and probably replace a resistor or a 47V zener diode - there is not much more to go wrong! . Any one knowing basic electronics and triode basics can service them. Perhaps the MA3 is more sophisticated - but knowing Ralph Karsten way of being in audio I can bet he will not want to compromise in reliability and ease of service.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Is this the MA-2? ... This is a huge multi-chassis amp and I am sure it weighs more than 83 Kg ... So you want us to believe that it is easier to ship than a KSA-250? Come on Man!!! So you would feel comfortable bringing and I am quoting you "Any one knowing basic electronics and triode basics" to service your >$150,000 possession? Rather than shipping it out to its manufacturer? Oooooooooooooooookay ... :rolleyes:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi

Is this the MA-2? ... This is a huge multi-chassis amp and I am sure it weighs more than 83 Kg ... So you want us to believe that it is easier to ship than a KSA-250? Come on Man!!! So you would feel comfortable bringing and I am quoting you "Any one knowing basic electronics and triode basics" to service your >$150,000 possession? Rather than shipping it out to its manufacturer? Oooooooooooooooookay ... :rolleyes:

http://www.atma-sphere.com/Products/#MA-3

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I knew it wasn't the MA-2 and I rest my case about the shipping ..As for the quality and performance of the MA-3,I don't know.. Atmasphere has been there for a long time and proven their worth so ... I was addressing the logistics of servicing this unit and microstrip contention of ease of such ...including shipping for a unit whose total weith is a staggering 320 Kg about 705 lbs ...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi

Frantz,

My original answer (that you quoted) was made to a generic Mep post about tubes versus SS maintenance and should have been taken with some humour. I answered with my MA2 experience. End of story. Re-read the thread and please do not distort my intentions. ;)

And yes, I believe that a with the help of Ralph, any one used to work with tubes can service any Atmasphere amps, irrespective of price, most of the time. Just go tho the old Atmasphere forums and the OTL asylum and read the threads about this subject. I am not an expert and with the help of Ralph have carried upgrades of my MA2's several times.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi

I knew it wasn't the MA-2 and I rest my case about the shipping ..As for the quality and performance of the MA-3,I don't know.. Atmasphere has been there for a long time and proven their worth so ... I was addressing the logistics of servicing this unit and microstrip contention of ease of such ...including shipping for a unit whose total weith is a staggering 320 Kg about 705 lbs ...

Frantz:

If you can afford the amplifiers, I'm sure you can afford the shipping. :)

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Frantz:

If you can afford the amplifiers, I'm sure you can afford the shipping. :)

Indeed! and if it has to be repaired the owner would not give it to "Any one knowing basic electronics and triode basics" ...

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Indeed! and if it has to be repaired the owner would not give it to "Any one knowing basic electronics and triode basics" ...

Frantz,
You are free to re-use my sentence out of context - it seems you really enjoyed it and I feel happy for it - but unhappily it did not address the MA3.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing