Apr 20, 2010
New York City

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Curious Sam, why not the Amplitrex?

http://www.amplitrex.com/

Hiya Myles!

I've had one of those for a couple of years, now...great instrument :)

I'm thinking the Amplitrex/576 Curve Tracer tandem should provide a tremendous opportunity for determining the electrical performance of many tubes over their operating range.
:p

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Hiya Myles!

I've had one of those for a couple of years, now...great instrument :)

I'm thinking the Amplitrex/576 Curve Tracer tandem should provide a tremendous opportunity for determining the electrical performance of many tubes over their operating range.
:p

Yep, you should find out how closely your tubes aren't matched. Do you know how to operate the curve tracer?

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Yep, you should find out how closely your tubes aren't matched. Do you know how to operate the curve tracer?

Precisely.
I take GREAT comfort in matching/balancing tubes according to the RCA Receiving Tube Manual, RC-30.
I have this radical concept that a thermionic valve that behaves as described in my above reference shall be optimal.

As with recording...I'm a novice.
And similar to recording -- very generous and knowledgeable people contribute to the experience.

Speaking of recording, we had our first experience using the gear a few days ago: factory-matched stereo pair of Schoeps mics > Gordon microphone preamp > Korg MR-2000S...all Mogami cabling. IOW...direct-to-two track :)

The purpose was to establish the operating condition of the mics, mic pre, and Korg record circuit. There was no expectation of a decent recording, but I was delighted with the result :cool:

I didn't have the Studer A-820 set up for recording, but I have a couple of them in the bullpen.
Recording for oneself and listening to the repro is a special occasion...
In this case, my friend played acoustic guitar -- flamenco style -- in our living room, seated directly between the Dali MegaLines.

I still enjoy listening to master tapes/dubs, but I want to realize, to the extent possible, just what is possible in the recording chain through to the reproduction chain...first-hand. I can safely state that is The Absolute Sound as constructed and defined by personal awareness.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Sam,

The Forsell air bearing CD transport had a long time permanence in my system - about fifteen years - although with several factory upgrades, from MK1 to Mk3. Only the appearance of the Audio Research CD7 tubed unit persuaded me to let it go, but I had to replace it with a Forsell Air Force One turntable. :) .
Retrospectively, I should have kept the Forsell Air CD Transport - if I ever move to a music server I will still need a top CD transport.

The TEK 576 is a fantastic tester - much better than the usual transconductance meters. I use a DIY tube tracer controlled by LabView that emulates some of its functiions.

Hey Micro,

All you need now is this...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mbsound/1123976743/sizes/l/in/photostream/ :D
I'd suggest unwrapping it, though ;)

I'm looking forward to the best my tube gear can offer...the TEK 576 and Amplitrex can help me get there :cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing