downloading from Tidal directly verses HD tracks

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
saw the new Dido album (i'm a fan) on Tidal, 'Still On My Mind', in 24/88 MQA (44/24), so i played it and really liked it. power pop, well sung and produced. spacious, lush and nice bass. i happen to like her voice.

i saw the 'add to library' button, but instead went to HD Tracks and downloaded the 44/24 file.

http://www.hdtracks.com/still-on-my-mind

no doubt to my ears the 44/24 file soundS some better on the Select II. a little more vivid and focused.

in direct comparison to the HD Tracks 44/24 file, the Tidal MQA 24/88 seems like it has a very slight smear and softness.

of course, this is simply how it sounds to me.

Last edited:
That's been my experience as well. Tidal always sounds a little softer, a little muted, less vivid. Even against other streaming service (Qobuz). Against real files, it's no contest, the file always wins.
I've no idea why is that so, but it's what I've (painfully) found out...

Reactions: Cohnaudio
saw the new Dido album (i'm a fan) on Tidal, 'Still On My Mind', in 24/88 MQA (44/24), so i played it and really liked it. power pop, well sung and produced. spacious, lush and nice bass. i happen to like her voice.

i saw the 'add to library' button, but instead went to HD Tracks and downloaded the 44/24 file.

http://www.hdtracks.com/still-on-my-mind

no doubt to my ears the 44/24 file soundS some better on the Select II. a little more vivid and focused.

in direct comparison to the HD Tracks 44/24 file, the Tidal MQA 24/88 seems like it has a very slight smear and softness.

of course, this is simply how it sounds to me.

Aren’t 88/24 tracks generally SACD/DSD rips? If this is the case you may be comparing something which was once DSD (plus application of MQA) to pure Redbook, which is probably a bigger difference than Tidal vs. file.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing