Do you guys trust your first impressions when listening to a system or a component? How long does it take you to evaluate?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Many members of this site use people use live, unamplified music as their reference. Other audiophiles, who are not Platonists, know what they like. Considering people know what real, live music sounds like or confidently know what they like, is the response to listening to a system or a new component an immediate, sub-conscious response that can takes all of a few seconds?

And if everyone knows what real music sounds like and is confident in their taste, why do some audiophiles and reviewers vacillate and need to keep their component in their system for weeks or months before drawing a conclusion? Is such deep cognitive analysis necessary to tell if a component or system is right?

And is it also true for the subtler tweaks?

So can one evaluate a system in a brief time or can snap judgments be wrong?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I know what I don't like often in seconds. What I like? Can take a lifetime.

Dr Tone

Apr 24, 2016
I don't trust my first impression, I need time to get the bigger picture. I spend a week with the new component and then go back to the old component for a week and then back to the new. Sometimes repeat that more than once.

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
Every component compared will have strengths and weaknesses. changing out a component will doubtfully be better in all aspects, i'm just looking for the overall picture. For example, I'd sacrifice and little resolution for more musicality and better flow. Many may see it differently.

Reactions: christoph

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I rarely trust first impressions, to many variables. Depending on what the new
gear is, setup is crucial. Speaker placement can take month to get right, even if
they are simple with no adjustability. If there are adjustable crossovers involved
it is even more difficult. Electronics need experimentation with fase grounding
and cabling for best result. And sometimes rearranging of defusers and absorbers can make all the difference between god and bad.
And don’t get me started on TT’s, i have had days where a change in temperature
resulted in different air pressure, and loss of magic a result.o_O

Woofer and Tweet

Feb 15, 2017
Burbank, California
You're walking down the street and hear music coming from a house. You instantly know if it is live or recorded. I think that's much the same with first impressions of an audio system. That being said, every time you play around with speaker location, things change, so I'd spend my time on that element. Just sayin'

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I trust my impressions on full systems. There may be niggles here and there to zoom in on but general performance can be easily categorized into needs lots of work, needs a bit more work, and I can live with that after a few tracks.

It's getting a handle on individual components that takes time with me as they require broader contexts to fully appreciate then later deploy properly.

Reactions: morricab

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I think I can assess pretty quickly the overall realism and believability of a system in terms of how it compares to the overall realism and believability of other systems.

bpape

Mar 28, 2019
Depends on the situation. At shows, many times its new, green gear that needs some times. If it sounds really good at a show, chances are it's broken in a bit. I would agree with the above that I know something I can't live with in about 5 seconds. Something I can, takes a lot longer.

Hipper

Jun 12, 2011
Hertfordshire, UK
These days I'm aware of the impact of the room, positioning, and other factors that affect what I hear. For this reason I would now never buy an item without trying it out in my system and room - or at least make sure that if I buy it I can return it for a full refund if it's not suitable.

So the likely scenario is that I would go to the dealer to listen to the equipment in his set up. I assume he will arrange it to sound its best as he hears it. I would want to play some material that I've put on a CD, say, to get an idea of its capabilities. This material would include percussion detail, one or two of my favourites, and some difficult to reproduce songs.

Once at home in my system I would again try my tests, but mostly I will just play and try to relax and enjoy the music, and see where that goes. If it sounds different, perhaps better, I should notice. I will also remove it and put my original back in to compare.

One month would be a fair time but ideally I think three would be better. Ultimately it must play my music well (mostly studio bound recordings, not all of which are the best quality).

Reactions: NorthStar

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Me too; the room I'm in.

Sure the first impression we have is generally the right one.
But it is in that particular room @ that particular moment in time.

I think we constantly evaluate and reevaluate, and that's a very good thing...very smart.

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
I can always tell what I don’t like immediately. For me I like testing in my home system first or after I have listened to it at the dealers. Testing in your home system is the only way to really know if it works for you or not.

At the moment I have put some Symposium Roller Blocks under my tape deck, immediately I heard a better improvement. I have had them under the deck for weeks now to really get used to them, I will eventually remove them and see if I can hear anything missing. From what I hear so far, they are here to stay.

Roller Blocks.jpg

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
First impressions are important. Once you sit for awhile you get a little use to something that may not be good. If you stop and come back you'll dislike that first thing again.

When making changes in audio components for design, first impression is best to be used or long term impression. The middle ground is useless. And even with a long term one, you need a first impression to evaluate it.

Reactions: thomask

DexterMiller

Jan 20, 2019
New Jersey (U.S.)
I can always tell what I don’t like immediately. For me I like testing in my home system first or after I have listened to it at the dealers. Testing in your home system is the only way to really know if it works for you or not.

At the moment I have put some Symposium Roller Blocks under my tape deck, immediately I heard a better improvement. I have had them under the deck for weeks now to really get used to them, I will eventually remove them and see if I can hear anything missing. From what I hear so far, they are here to stay.

View attachment 49993
If there was a flutter problem with the deck's transport vibrating and/or the speed seeming unstable, it would still be a maintenance issue inside the deck itself and not something an outside accessory would change the effect of.

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
For me I use my first impression. I try and listen without any bias at the beginning and If I'm not liking it upon first audition why am I going to somehow change my mind listening to it again?

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
If there was a flutter problem with the deck's transport vibrating and/or the speed seeming unstable, it would still be a maintenance issue inside the deck itself and not something an outside accessory would change the effect of.

The is no problem with the deck and it’s not a flutter issue, the deck goes in for a service every 2 – 3 years so I know the deck works perfectly. The Roller Blocks improves the sound maybe it dampens out some unwanted vibrations or something i don't know.

I would say the Roller Blocks under the deck does a similar job to putting a HRS plate on to of electronics, with regard to sound quality anyway.

DexterMiller

Jan 20, 2019
New Jersey (U.S.)
The is no problem with the deck and it’s not a flutter issue, the deck goes in for a service every 2 – 3 years so I know the deck works perfectly. The Roller Blocks improves the sound maybe it dampens out some unwanted vibrations or something i don't know.

I would say the Roller Blocks under the deck does a similar job to putting a HRS plate on to of electronics, with regard to sound quality anyway.
Well, then, it may have an influence upon a twenty-or-so pound cassette deck; but I wouldn't suspect it would cater much to the performance of a sixty pound reel to reel.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
All too often I have heard systems that do not sound good at first and then sound lovely after warm up, break in, or a few weeks down the road when the system is more dialed in. Shows are one of those funny things that you never know what you are going to get. You could be fighting with the room all three days to get the system to sound its best.

Best to always give it time when possible

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing