Audiophile Sonic Terms Redux

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
No , I am not expert as said before many times in this forum.
If you talk to audiophiles and also listen to their audio systems (audio results) and try to experience many audio components in controlled condition then you reallize the most audiophile's ideas are just opinions not facts. Opinions are different to facts.
expert audiophiles are rare and you can hear the facts from them.
When I visited WBF for the first time I did not know David (@ddk) but after reading his posts I reallized he is different to other members.

Yes, there are people who have superior knowledge and experience. Karen Sumner is another example. I value their opinions and try to learn from them.

Reactions: Amir

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
keep in mind you have to declare someone God so that you can earn the messenger title, delivering his commandments. Otherwise you might be relegated to a nobody

What commandments are those Bonzo? DIY horn systems spread through system videos? That is a pretty worthwhile message.

No one here is claiming that ddk is an audio god. But, some keep trying to denigrate him in his absence.

Some do seem to refer to a certain book as the audiophile bible and they do spread its word.

Reactions: Lagonda and Amir

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
keep in mind you have to declare someone God so that you can earn the messenger title, delivering his commandments. Otherwise you might be relegated to a nobody

:D

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Some do seem to refer to a certain book as the audiophile bible and they do spread its word.

Well, that's also annoying. Thoroughly so.

Reactions: Lagonda and bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What commandments are those Bonzo? DIY horn systems spread through system videos? That is a pretty worthwhile message.

No one here is claiming that ddk is an audio god. But, some keep trying to denigrate him in his absence.

both times you didn’t get the point, or purposefully seem not to. This is not about David. Thus is about the messengers. Often it is the messengers/conductors or whatever, who ruin the actual interpretation.

Reactions: Argonaut

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
both times you didn’t get the point, or purposefully seem not to. This is not about David. Thus is about the messengers. Often it is the messengers/conductors or whatever, who ruin the actual interpretation.

Amir mentioned audio file experts like David Karmeli. I added Karen Sumner to the list. Al mentioned David Karmeli and said he is not an audio god. I agree with both of them.

I apologize for not understanding the point. Could you explain to me what I am missing?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Holy Irrelevancy Ronman :p

-or-

As Ron would say: my post has no probative value upon any issue.

You have shown that you know how to properly use the quote facility of WBF, congratulations.

Unfortunately selectively quoting is just an useless exercise - it did not enter any new fact or perspective on Lamm.

As I have previously said, I could easily build a system and live happy with the Lamm sound if I find a speaker that fulfills my requirements and matches the Lamm ML3.

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
Is it the hot weather? :eek:

• Haha
Reactions: PeterA

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Peter,

It seems you fail to understand the point of view of other posters in this forum.

I do not see anyone denigrating ddk. He had a strong presence in the past in WBF and it remains a current subject. Unfortunately he did not have the same behavior when he was here. Probably he will return some day.

"Some" are not brave enough to say things directly and probably by ignorance misrepresent other opinions. No one with good sense will say that the "certain book" is the audiophile bible. But it is fundamental book to understand stereo sound reproduction and surely, audiophile preferences. Surely it is not needed if we just want to repeat ad nausea that after decades of being in the wrong path we now found the light and will never upgrade again!

Please note that I seldom comment your current preference that I respect as such - but I often object to your misrepresentation of current audiophile industry and member status.

Reactions: Scott Naylor

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Please note that I seldom comment your current preference that I respect as such - but I often object to your misrepresentation of current audiophile industry and member status.

Do not forget that you often object to my use of terms and also tell me how to post. At least I do not misrepresent the former audiophile industry. I do not know what you mean by member status?

I asked Bonzo to explain how I misunderstand the point of the current discussion. Perhaps you can explain how I fail to understand the point of view of other posters in this forum but sending me a PM with specific examples and explanations. Do it publicly if you want, but it might be boring for others. Like others, I am here to learn.

I feel like these discussions often become quite personal between members.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I love the sound of the Lamm electronics. There's no doubt about that. In a slightly alternative universe I probably would have all Lamm electronics.

But I think it goes too far to suggest that he made a unique mousetrap sonically far ahead of everybody else, and supernaturally superior to other electronics. If the Lamm designs somehow channeled natural human hearing more convincingly than other circuit designs why doesn't everybody -- or at least a majority -- or at least a plurality of audiophiles fall in love at first listen? Why do some people adopt Lamm electronics, and then move away from Lamm?

Lamm is great. But are Peter and Tim suggesting that Lamm discovered the sonic Holy Grail, and that Lamm electronics are somehow uniquely the best?
and what does any of this have to do with Karens thread?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
and what does any of this have to do with Karens thread?

Ron didn't start this sub-discussion, Elliot.

Threads always fan out. I don't know why people, after all those years and even decades, still complain about "derailing" of threads.

It's the internet, get used to it!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Ron
This is a good question, my answer is :
Many Audiophiles are not enough civilized/expert to understand the value of Lamm sound.
My english is not good, so "Talent" or "flair" or "aptitude" I do not know which word is better to describe it.
I have seen many audiophiles in Iran and I saw their audio results , finally there are big differences between experts like David and other non-expert audiophiles.
so there are Lamm people, and then there are ignorant people?

sounds more like religion than music reproduction taste questions.

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com

Peter
I think those who spread ridicule comments or try to denigrate ddk they are not in our camp and I have no interest to discuss/convince them.
If any audiophile interested to know about David then he/she can listen to David's ML3/Bionor system.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com

Mike
It is not black and white , It does not mean most audiophiles are 100% ignorant people ,
Audio game is like other games have different levels, some players are professionals (for example Hamilton F1 driver is a far better driver than me), some are at mid level and some are beginners. The problem is the audio is subjective and the most begginer audiophiles do not have any idea about experts.

Certainly Lamm will not sound good in wrong condition and also not all loudspeakers have perfect matching to Lamm but in proper setup/condition and proper/match speaker the Lamm will be OK.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Or like a cult.

Reactions: Argonaut

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Mike
It is not black and white , It does not mean most audiophiles are 100% ignorant people ,
Audio game is like other games have different levels, some players are professionals (for example Hamilton F1 driver is a far better driver than me), some are at mid level and some are beginners. The problem is the audio is subjective and the most begginer audiophiles do not have any idea about experts.

Certainly Lamm will not sound good in wrong condition and also not all loudspeakers have perfect matching to Lamm but in proper setup/condition and proper/match speaker the Lamm will be OK.

You have not even heard the amp!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
If any audiophile interested to know about David then he/she can listen to David's ML3/Bionor system.

If somebody visits David and listens to "David's ML3/Bionor system" and does not care for the sound of the system or does not find it musically convincing, do you think such person is not "expert [enough] to understand the value of Lamm sound"?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Mike

I think you are misusing the word expert and creating a lot of confusion and animosity against Lamm with your comments.

Lamm is one more excellent brand, as many others in the high-end. It would be great if you moved your bizarre theories to other brands you know better. I still have hope to sell my LL1 / ML3, in spite of RomytheCat and your comments!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing