How do you know what you want from your audio system?

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
This condemns with a bomb, when you should be making this point, if at all, with a rifle.

Art Dudley's reviews were informative, comparative (critically important in my personal view) and educational. Herb Reichert's, Andre Jennings', Michael Fremer's, Don Saltzman's and Kalman Rubinson's -- to name just a few great reviewers purely off the top of my head -- reviews are informative, comparative and educational.
Ron
I have wrote about sample reviews from John Atkinson (TAD CR1) , Kal Robinson (Weiss DAC) and Michael Fremer (TAD C600) in "Audio Critique" topic and you can read all of my reasons in that topic if you have time.

I do not say Art Dudley and John Atkinson are equal as I said before I like Clark Johnsen and Roy Gregory (both are audio reviewer) and Peter believes Tima is a good audio reviewer and I regard his view but overally what I read in stereophile and most other magazines is useless to me.

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
Since I listen demonstration at the High End of Munich, I play Shazam or Soundhound, buy CD I like and compare them with my system.
Some bad surprise arrives...bad sound...Why ? Because I have original power cord supply with the product...
I never believe in the power cord...
Now I am in the dark side of vaudou accessoiries like Furutech Booster and Furutech Booster NCF, Furutech Pure Power 6E NCF...and audiophile power cord ...
Qpoint and Nordost Kone too...

I try to improve my system.

Thanks to all of you for this forum to share your idea and your experiencies : WhatsBestForum ...The Best Forum ?
What Else ? There is no George Cloney to give us a cup of coffee...LOL

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
listen to live music.

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
List of songs of the High End of Munich 2019 when I am in the room :

- Elvira Madigan Theme - Piano Concerto Numéro 21 in C Major K467 - Andante - Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

- Barangrill - Ian Shaw

- Piano Sonata K281 in B-Flat : Allegro - Alicia de Larrocha

- Just a Little Lovin - Shelby Lynne

- Lovesick - LindstrOm

- Besame Mama - Poncho Sanchez

-In a sentimental Mood - Art Blakey & the Jazz Messenger

- Concerto For Flute And Harp In C Major, K. 299: II. Andantino - Jean-Pierre Rampal & Jean-Francois Paillard Chamber Orchestra & Jean-François Paillard.

- So Sad - Jennifer Warnes

- Let's Fall In Love - Diana Krall (bought)

- No Love Dying - Gregory Porter (bought)

- Did You Call Her Today (Take 2) - Ben Webster

- Aja - Steely Dan

- Jazz Variants - O-Zone Percussion Group (bought) - Excellent demo disc for percussion...

- Solitude - Sonny Rollins

- Guantanamera - Neri Per Caso

- Don't Look Back - John Lee Hooker

- Let Me Love You - Awa Ly

- Differently par Marian Hill

- C. Franck, Six Pièces Pour Grand Orgue: Final Op. 21 - César Franck

- Liquid Spirit par Gregory Porter (bought)

- Differently - Marian Hill

- Teach Me Tonight - Ray Brown Trio

- Cantique De Noel : O Helga Natt (O Holy Night;Sung In Swedish;Cantique De Noel, O Holy Night) - Marianne Mellnas

- The Robots (2009 Digital Remaster) - Kraftwerk (bought) - Not disc demo but disc play by a visitor -

- Jean Pierre - Marcus Miller (bought)

- Desperado - Diana Krall (bought)

- Papa Was A Rolling Stone - Marcus Miller

- Video Games - Lana Del Rey

- Midnight Sugar - Tsuyoshi Yamamoto

- Sweet Blasphemy - Dhafer Youssef

- Thinking Of You (Dimitri From - is Remix) - Sister Sledge

- Karma - Fourplay

- Drala - Teta

- The Bass Walks - Bert Kaempfert And His Orchestra

- It's A Hard World - Supertramp

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I Love Just a Little Lovin' Shelby Lynn.

Reactions: Audire

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
True. When I listened to a good sounding DAC, I just enjoyed music and didn't think about anything else. Sure, a setup with the AS2000, top tier tonearm + cartridge + custom tube phono stage playing a 100% analog recorded and mastered, first press pristine record would sound much better side by side...but the good digital is great on it's own.

Why should a top vinyl system sound better than a top digital system? Just because a few people say it loud? :oops:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Why should a top vinyl system sound better than a top digital system? Just because a few people say it loud? :oops:

Is the question really why should it? If so, that is a pretty interesting question. The answer is not that a few people say it loudly. What we read is that some people think it sounds better.

Do we ever read a few people proclaiming loudly that top digital sounds better than top vinyl? What we read is that it sounds different and that vinyl is not for them. That is fine. People should listen to what they want.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
0- High end is not easy so if your IQ is under 140 and if you are not young then please forget high end audio and start another hobby (just kidding :)))
1- Read www.goodsoundclub.com , read Jim smith book (get better sound), Call David (@ddk) and visit him in Utah, do not read stereophile and TAS and 6moon and ...
2- Expose yourself to a wide variety of systems and sounds and do not care about the sound and just try to understand what you really enjoy in long listening term (the reaction to music is important not the reaction to sound).
3- try to learn how each parameter affects on the sound

Sorry, why should audiophiles ignore the best sources of information on the current high-end industry and be narrow closed minded?

IMO the high-end should be envisaged as an enjoyable hobby, not a doctrine to get a place paradise.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The title of the thread asks a question that each of us might answer differently. I think it’s pretty personal.

When I was starting out I read the main stream magazines in the audio press thinking I might find the answer to the question by reading these publications. I never did. I turned to live music and then knew what I wanted from my audio system.

Reactions: tima and Amir

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Is the question really why should it? If so, that is a pretty interesting question. The answer is not that a few people say it loudly. What we read is that some people think it sounds better.

Do we ever read a few people proclaiming loudly that top digital sounds better than top vinyl? What we read is that it sounds different and that vinyl is not for them. That is fine. People should listen to what they want.

Fortunately people who prefer digital usually simply assume the truth - that they sound different and feel we should not rank oranges with apples in an hobby of preference.

Reactions: dcathro

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Sorry, why should audiophiles ignore the best sources of information on the current high-end industry and be narrow closed minded?

IMO the high-end should be envisaged as an enjoyable hobby, not a doctrine to get a place paradise.

you tell us they are the best sources of information. Amir disagrees and is sharing his opinion about what he thinks is a better source of information: expert audiophiles.

Reactions: Amir

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Fortunately people who prefer digital usually simply assume the truth - that they sound different and feel we should not rank oranges with apples in an hobby of preference.

you are describing people who prefer and then assume. I think people who prefer vinyl will also say they sound different. That is not based on an assumption but on listening and judging.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
you tell us they are the best sources of information. Amir disagrees and is sharing his opinion about what he thinks is a better source of information: expert audiophiles.

Sorry Peter does your post add anything new to Amir post and my reply?

Nice to know that you care about my posts and according to you there are three expert audiophiles in the world ... ;)

Reactions: Scott Naylor

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I think the answer to the original post is simple. It's about getting to a point where you can get so involved in the music that you are completely immersed. You are not thinking about gear and upgrades...you are just enjoying the music.

Precision setup is a huge factor in achieving this.

The sign of a good system is when I plan to listen for a couple of hours but wind up have a much longer session and a late dinner.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
No comments, as it will only lead to a 303930339 page long discussion about semantics, like the ones you had with DDK.

Only 303930339 pages? ;)

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Ron, in your list of reviewers, you overlook our very own WBF member Tima. His reviews in positive feedback are excellent. He describes the product, and he describes what he hears using music examples. They do not sound like ad copy from the manufacturer. His Lamm reviews are particularly good.

I think Tim writes informative, comparative and educational reviews, as well. The way Tim infuses his reviews with his knowledge of music and musicology is unique and especially valuable.

Thank you for your kind words about my writing -- much appreciated.

Reactions: Amir

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Sorry Peter does your post add anything new to Amir post and my reply?

Nice to know that you care about my posts and according to you there are three expert audiophiles in the world ... ;)

I just have to respond to the comment that the magazines are the best source of information. It’s not only Amir who thinks they are not. Simply going somewhere to hear a component in a system is better information than reading something about it. I was responding to your claim. Surely that is allowed in the discussion thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amir and tima

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing