Do we really need to understand this?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Do we really need to understand this.OR, do we really need to accept this??

On the A'gon site, we have a vendor selling a Synergistic Research receptacle...which has been "tesla'ed"
The copy reads: The Synergistic Research TESLA Plex SE is a Quantum Tunneled duplex outlet.

Quantum Tunneling is a process that changes the way a conductor works at the sub atomic level, impacting the entire TESLA Plex SE assembly. By applying a two million volt signal to each individual unit, at a specific pulse modulation and an ultra high frequency, for an exact duration of time, transforming the outlet at the molecular level. This process is also performed on all cables, from the Core series to the Galileo series. The “before and after” is startling, with a lower noise floor and improvements in inner detail, air, low frequency extension, and overall transparency.

So, the question is do we really need this kind of "science" in our hobby and more appropriately does anyone 'understand' this. Or, is it that an ad likes this gives an 'impression' to the non-a'phile that IMHO we can certainly do without in the hobby. Your thoughts----

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

On the A'gon site, we have a vendor selling a Synergistic Research receptacle...which has been "tesla'ed"
The copy reads: The Synergistic Research TESLA Plex SE is a Quantum Tunneled duplex outlet.

Quantum Tunneling is a process that changes the way a conductor works at the sub atomic level, impacting the entire TESLA Plex SE assembly. By applying a two million volt signal to each individual unit, at a specific pulse modulation and an ultra high frequency, for an exact duration of time, transforming the outlet at the molecular level. This process is also performed on all cables, from the Core series to the Galileo series. The “before and after” is startling, with a lower noise floor and improvements in inner detail, air, low frequency extension, and overall transparency.

So, the question is do we really need this kind of "science" in our hobby and more appropriately does anyone 'understand' this. Or, is it that an ad likes this gives an 'impression' to the non-a'phile that IMHO we can certainly do without in the hobby. Your thoughts----

As far as I know, quantum tunneling has nothing to do with a two million volt signal. The guys is just trying to screw us with pseudo-scientific language. I am sure he doesn't even know what quantum tunneling means.

We don't need this bullcr**, and yes, it gives a silly impression of our industry.

I'll happily live without a quantum tunnelled receptacle herewith and forever.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Gee, whats next from Synergistic? Maybe alien technology? I hear that the aliens have super sound systems! Maybe they can do things at the quantum level if they can master interstellar travel. Synergistic Research, not so much.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Gee, whats next from Synergistic? Maybe alien technology? I hear that the aliens have super sound systems! Maybe they can do things at the quantum level if they can master interstellar travel. Synergistic Research, not so much.

Better not tell that to Ted Denney! Oh, I forgot he is one of them, LOL.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

There is an old saying.."A fool and his money are soon parted." LOL.

Happy Halloween!!

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I have no idea whether that makes any sense or not. However, since current flows at the atomic level it would seem possible to be able to optimize it at the atomic level. Whether the technology exists yet to do that type of manipulation is unknown to me. I have seen photos where IBM arranged atoms to spell IBM, but I don't know if that can apply to making better sounding cables.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
If you want it, here it is, come and get it
Make your mind up fast
If you want it, anytime, I can give it
But you better hurry 'cause it may not last

Did I hear you say
That there must be a catch?
Will you walk away
From a fool and his money?

But you better hurry 'cause it's goin' fast

Make your mind up fast
If you want it, anytime, I can give it
But you better hurry 'cause it may not last

Did I hear you say
That there must be a catch?
Will you walk away
From a fool and his money?

Sonny, if you want it, here it is, come and get it
But you'd better hurry 'cause it's going fast
You'd better hurry 'cause it's going fast
Fool and his money, Sonny

But you'd better hurry 'cause it's goin' fast
You'd better hurry 'cause it's goin' fast
You'd better hurry 'cause it's goin' fast

wgscott

Sep 1, 2011
CA (USA)
I wrote this for my "blog" page on ComputerAudiophile.com a while ago, but if you permit me to cut and paste, ...

By applying a two million volt signal to a cable at a specific pulse modulation, and ultra high frequency for an exact duration of time, we transform the entire cable at a molecular level through a phenomenon called Quantum Tunneling. This process is performed on all TESLA Series cables, from Galileo Basik Strings and Au 79 and Magnetic Tricon to Apex, and can be applied to models not Quantum Tunneled for an additional charge. The before and after is startling, with a lower noise floor and improvements in inner detail, air, low frequency extension, and overall transparency and signal speed.

http://www.synergisticresearch.com/tesla-series/tesla-series-technologies/

So, you might ask yourself, what is quantum-mechanical tunneling?

When I teach this (as I do, every year), I sometimes make reference to a more familiar phenomenon. If you take a laser beam, and point it at a glass prism, what you will find is that part of the beam is transmitted in the original direction, and part is split off, and reflected. If you change the angle of the prism relative to the incoming laser, there comes an angle, called the critical angle, beyond which all the light is reflected, and none is transmitted. It looks like this:

Now take a second prism, and place it next to the first one. If the two glass surfaces touch, suddenly you get the laser beam propagating out in the un-bent, transmission angle again.

That's the optical version of tunneling.

You can treat this classically, using something called an evanescent wave. You can also treat it quantum-mechanically, and it is again the same sort of wave phenomenon, except the wave now describes the probability of finding the particle in what we call a classically forbidden region. So it works exactly the same way for photons and electrons. The electron "tunnels" through a barrier despite not having enough energy to hop over it.

It doesn't change the molecular structure of anything. Not the glass. Not the wire. Nada.

These guys might be doing something else to "change the molecular structure" of the wire (which, by the way, isn't made of "molecules" in the first place, but rather an array of metal atoms). But it ain't quantum tunneling.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

WGS thanks so very much for explaining the phenomenon... I will read and re-read it ...

Thanks also Hi-Fi Guy for your charming poem (?) :)

The sad thing is that several here and elsewhere when confronted by this item which does the tunnelling (sorry WGS :() will suddenly hear the "vast" improvement brought to their system when they use it.. They will also hear the "night and day" differences and the ensuing "collapse of the soundstage" once they use a different outlet. Of course once used, the music will emerge from a ' much darker" background and dynamics will be increased as well as "rhythm and pace'. Let's not forget the obvious increase in PRAT those produce ... We wilt not mention the smoother midrange and the more tuneful bass

PT Barnum would have made so much more had there been audiophiles in his time ...

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Hi

WGS thanks so very much for explaining the phenomenon... I will read and re-read it ...

Yes, thanks guys.

The sad thing is that several here and elsewhere when confronted by this item which does the tunnelling (sorry WGS :() will suddenly hear the "vast" improvement brought to their system when they use it.. They will also hear the "night and day" differences and the ensuing "collapse of the soundstage" once they use a different outlet. Of course once used, the music will emerge from a ' much darker" background and dynamics will be increased as well as "rhythm and pace'. Let's not forget the obvious increase in PRAT those produce ... We wilt not mention the smoother midrange and the more tuneful bass

PT Barnum would have made so much more had there been audiophiles in his time ...

I would not be surprised if some of my fellow audiophiles who heard such "drastic" differences under suboptimal show conditions at the event that I describe here might also fall for that:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...-and-Listening&p=348580&viewfull=1#post348580

In any case, how much does that joke even cost?

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Hi

No problem, anything to help out.
https://youtu.be/Jkkcs5JMiPs

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I have no idea whether that makes any sense or not. However, since current flows at the atomic level it would seem possible to be able to optimize it at the atomic level. Whether the technology exists yet to do that type of manipulation is unknown to me. I have seen photos where IBM arranged atoms to spell IBM, but I don't know if that can apply to making better sounding cables.

The technology does exist, and it can produce a wire made of a continuous crystal of atoms with no grain boundaries at all, it is the Ohno Continuous Casting process, or OCC. Currently, Wan Lung Electric (Neotech) is the only company licensing this process and they do make the best wire for audio use available today.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!

A couple of more: wider and deeper soundstage, much better granularity of subtle background cues, better image specificity, and (lest we forget) improved gesthalt.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Oh, so for a hypothetical - and unrealistically high - outlet resistance of 1ohm, they are putting through 2 million amperes through it; or for a more realistic 0.1ohms, about 20 million. Assuming they can get that power into the facility, welding and melting occurs at much lower amperages.

wgscott

Sep 1, 2011
CA (USA)
Oh, so for a hypothetical - and unrealistically high - outlet resistance of 1ohm, they are putting through 2 million amperes through it; or for a more realistic 0.1ohms, about 20 million. Assuming they can get that power into the facility, welding and melting occurs at much lower amperages.

Raising the distinct possibility that the explanation isn't the only thing they just made up.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
For electricity to travel 1/4 of an inch to get from standard Romex copper wire to your power cable

esldude

I once had probably 2 million volts applied to my audio cables. A direct lightning strike to a metal fence that was inches from the electrical service entrance. The treatment was therefore applied to my romex cable, my power cords, power outlets and all audio equipment. I must say there was an eerily black lower level of noise afterwards.

Maybe I should move to Florida, string cables in the air waiting for lightning storms and sale the struck cable as all natural cables treated by God's own hand. Surely it would sound like heaven itself.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I must say there was an eerily black lower level of noise afterwards.

Maybe i should move to florida, string cables in the air waiting for lightning storms and sale the struck cable as all natural cables treated by god's own hand. Surely it would sound like heaven itself.

ROFL! Sorry to hear about your lightning strike.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing