Riviera Labs AFM-100 SE Class A Monoi amplifiers- something new and different

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
We lost power for 2 hours today. It got me searching for answers. I am looking into shunt trip breakers. For SqD, I can get shunt breakers from 20A up in single and double poll. What that means is if the power goes out, the contact opens and the breaker is de-energized till you manually reset it.

Eaton took the design from SqD when the pattent expired, so they should have it too. SqD only has it in QO. Not in the junk Homeline. I have not looked up the Eaton offering yet. List price is around $350.

Reactions: Alrainbow

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Ciao Gian60! Perhaps I have not noticed your other posts, but this is the first time I have seen one of your posts in a long time. Hope all is well with you and your amazing system(s). Did you end up changing over to CH M10 series? I remember reading with great interest your move over to CHM1, then (I think?) M1.1 and I believe you were also one of the very first people to hear M10 series.
Ciao,
i had interest to change CH to M series, but price difference was really too high and I was 100% satisfied of my systems decided to develop the 2 system with Thrax Lyra with hades sub and Thrax Dyonisio with Heros MK II,incredible mono amp, among the best I listened in my life and with a reasonable price

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
So today I had my Buddy in who like me is a blues lover.He probably knows more than I lol well he does know more than I but its fun anyway,
The Charts for today

Cognac- Buddy Guy with Jeff Beck a nd Keith Richards
Hill Country Jam - Mike Zito and Albert Castiglia- if you dont know either and never heard this then strap in, buckle up and turn it up from Blood Brothers album
Fire- Bernard Allison-from the otherside album
You're going to need me ( live) Bernard Allison

Some great guitar licks, organ and drums that should be played loud. We were hitting peaks of 100db or so .
My system is just sick, real sounding, and sick.
My buddy could only smile and say "this is the best ...period! congratulations man.

No natural or artificial or outside substances were used during this session LOL

Last edited:

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
Keep the playlists coming! I always enjoy the music in your room at CAF.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
thank you. Try those they really are terrific.

Reactions: Holli82

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
by the way there is an old list on my website at the top there is a cd ou can click on for a list, not the links, and there is somewhere on Qobuz a list as well under Elliot's list I think. These I have listed are all more recent additions that are not posted anywhere but are in my playlists.
Someday I ll put it all together as I think that's fun but that's not today

Reactions: Holli82

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
My system is just sick, real sounding, and sick.
My buddy could only smile and say "this is the best ...period! congratulations man.

No natural or artificial or outside substances were used during this session LOL
I did enjoy your system at Capital Audio.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I did enjoy your system at Capital Audio.
thank you. My room is a lot better and it has the two Sovereign subs as well.
I liked our showroom but it is a showroom and there are limits to what can be done in a show environment. We tried hard and will try again at Axpona *( which is a horiffic room for sound but very nice looking for a cocktail party

Audio Addict

VIP/Donor
Mar 20, 2016
Central Illinois
by the way there is an old list on my website at the top there is a cd ou can click on for a list, not the links, and there is somewhere on Qobuz a list as well under Elliot's list I think. These I have listed are all more recent additions that are not posted anywhere but are in my playlists.
Someday I ll put it all together as I think that's fun but that's not today
These two lists?

Listen to the playlist Elliot's Playlist - Vol 1 by Mark on Qobuz https://open.qobuz.com/playlist/5580775

Listen to the playlist Elliot's Playlist - Vol 2 by Mark on Qobuz https://open.qobuz.com/playlist/5632563

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I'm not sure I'm going to do this every day but today I just finished listening with another victum and we were playing mostly Jazz
Started with Manu Katche- Loose from the album Manu katche
jumped right in to Manu Katche live - Clubbing then Song for her, Drum Solo, and Snapshot
Next was Blicher , Hammer and Gadd - Omara and Korean BBQ
then changed directions LOL
staying live to
Courtney Barnett - live in Melbourne MTV unplugged with Charcoal Lane and followed with the Avant Gardener- very small room vibe with guitars, harmonica and a cello
and for the finale
Fall on Me- Andrea and Mateo Bocelli - this is a powerfull track that's a goosebump delivery.
I end a lot of demo's with it but I like the track myself.
I know today was a bit on the weird side but I am a diversified listener and can make fun of myself HAHA

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I still can’t describe the reality of axpona in your room Elliot. Well beyond any audio system and onto performers not just there , but showing an emotional connection.
I’ve rarely heard this even just moments of.
Much less track after track. I hope you do the Florida show as I’m attending ?

Your room takes time to adjust our brain to. in the end it kills off the other rooms I loved lol.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I still can’t describe the reality of axpona in your room Elliot. Well beyond any audio system and onto performers not just there , but showing an emotional connection.
I’ve rarely heard this even just moments of.
Much less track after track. I hope you do the Florida show as I’m attending ?

Your room takes time to adjust our brain to. in the end it kills off the other rooms I loved lol.
Thank you Al .I am not showing in Florida as they have no larger rooms available. I can't put my stuff in a sleeping room its just to small and not really worth the effort. I am only a few hours south of Tampa and have many times driven back and forth in one day. :)

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
IMG_4372.png

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
As many of you know i love drummers and Steve Gadd is one of my favorites. I listen to many things he’s played on but today i discovered this incredible gem
Try it turn it up and see if your system can make it sound the way it should
Highest recommendation

Last edited:
Reactions: Al Stewart

cmarin

VIP/Donor
Jul 16, 2011
Texas
I can't resist -- I/AudioQuest, used a CH C1.2 into the Riviera Labs APL01SE and Riviera Labs AFM100 amps to drive Rockport Orions in my Munich 2023 exhibit. The CH source and Riviera amplification was superb! Of course AQ Niagara and Dragon might have helped too.

Those particular Riviera pieces normally drive Wilson Sasha DAWs at my Netherlands headquarters. At home in CA I have a dCS Vivaldi One Apex feeding an APL01SE and a pair of AFM50s driving Rockport Cygnus speakers -- With glorious results -- the no-pain version of extreme resolution and dynamics.

Two other personal systems, in CA and NYC, have a variable output (real preamp amp output stage) Aesthetix Romulus driving Riviera Labs AFM25 amps into Rockport Atria II and Rockport Avior II speakers. Yes, 25 watts truly can pass for infinite power, until it can't. All AFMs have the most exuberantly playful bass I've ever had the pleasure of living with. "Exuberantly playful" might sound like a coloration to some. I believe it's an appropriate way to describe less-compromised, less-distorted.

Silvio and Luca know what they are doing. Beyond the particulars of harmonic distortion, the Riviera gear is extraordinary in addressing what I have called-out for the last 50 years as the most important imperative in good audio: the challenge towards becoming one with the music as presented by an audio system is not the need for more information, it's the mandate to suffer less misinformation.

Hearing is an active process that absolutely requires our brains to cheat during the 50 or so milliseconds it takes before an aural image is presented to our consciousness. The composition we think the ear/mic is picking up is actually a combination of data from our speakers, our evolutionarily advantageous genetically programmed predictive algorithms, learned from "nurture" predictive algorithms, memories -- and crucially, imagination.

Thank heavens we are sometimes dead wrong with what we think we hear as a result -- without our brains making-sh*t-up, we would not have a stereo image, the immersive sound field so many of us crave.

The primary limitation to our brain's ability to construct a maximally engaging emotionally provocative aural image is not a lack of information so much as it's the interference to that process caused by noise and distortion (misinformation).

By noise, I don't mean tape hiss or a tick or pop on an LP -- those are properly reproduced information that we insult by calling them noise. I mean real noise, energy that shouldn't be there and which can't be "demodulated" into anything meaningful enough for the brain to then present as a discrete sound. This noise, whether energy coming out of a dielectric (caps, cable insulation) at the wrong time, or skin-effect caused inductance smearing a signal across time, TIM, or all sorts of energy challenges in the digital domain -- is what creates the not-black background that causes most of us to refer to the benefit of reducing the misinformation as "the music emerging from a blacker background" -- when there was no discernible white or gray background to begin with.

I believe everything Luca writes about in explaining his Riviera Labs design priorities -- and I believe that the extraordinarily open and deep soundstage that the Riviera gear enables is foremost the result of less unseen and unheard garbage/obstacles in the way of our algorithms and imagination doing their absolutely necessary jobs.

Couldn’t agree more. There are two very insightful points in your statement that get to the core of what defines audio system performance:

“the challenge towards becoming one with the music as presented by an audio system is not the need for more information, it's the mandate to suffer less misinformation.”

First, there is no mention of the typical audiophile terms (which Elliott correctly rails against in a previous post) to describe the goal of the system - it is simply about “becoming one with the music”; and

Second, “it's the mandate to suffer less misinformation”. The key to achieving the goal is to eliminate/minimize the artifacts that distract our minds from becoming one with the music.

Well said.

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Elliot - have you tried Riviera with Stenheim yet? From my limited experience of both brands, that could be a very interesting combination.

PS Thanks for the track recommendations - some crackers in there!

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Elliot - have you tried Riviera with Stenheim yet? From my limited experience of both brands, that could be a very interesting combination.

PS Thanks for the track recommendations - some crackers in there!
No I havent and probably wont for a while. The Stenheims I purchased were for the new upstairs more affordable sound room and the top model we have at this time is 3 SE. It is possible that I will get a Riviera integrated ( or some other pieces) down the road for that. I am planning on changing the Marquis for the Noblesse in the next week or so and begining the process of dialing that big boy in. I don't take these changes lightly and I always want the system to be at it best so this takes some time. Im very uncomfortable with quick switches as they really dont get to the heart of what I am trying to do and show.
The 3 SE sounded great on the CH 10 series like the Gobel's so I don't see any reason that the Stenheims should not work really well with the Riviera as well.

Reactions: heihei

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
IMG_4387.jpeg

Reactions: analyzer

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
IMG_4406.jpeg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing