Not an urgent quandary: Fix or move to what?

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
Recently my Audio Research LS10 refused to turn on. It was an unsurprising final step after pressing the on-switch increasingly harder until it just stopped starting up.
Sure, I took it to the local service centre, here in Melbourne. And waited. And waited. Until 8 weeks passed. No call. No replies to my email messages. So I called up. Oh yes Mr Read. It’s ready for collection. We can’t service it. We contacted ARC Service USA who told us there’s not many parts left. We are going to waive the standard service fee. Please come by and pick it up.
So it’s back with me. Here in Melbourne, Australia.
Now what do I do?
The rest of the system is a full ARC system, Ref CD9, D240 MKII and it’s sounds supreme through my large horn speakers. All XLR connections through a fully balanced system.
During the 8 weeks, I purchased a cheap Rotel 1590 MKII preamp. Ok of course not as good as the LS10. Transparency, fidelity, dynamics gave way to rounded softer smudgy delivery. Do you know these two units cost the same money?
One day I swapped the Rotel with my AV8005 preamp in my HT system (actually a temp system of Oppo205, AV8005, another D240 MKII, PMC MB2SE). The AV8005 is far more full range and transparent than the Rotel.
I looked on the net and found an LS12 available. Tried bargaining with the seller. Nope. Not interested. I take all the risks and costs of shipment. So I say forget about that unit.
What would you do next?
The steps possible include:
* have the broken unit sent to my engineer in Philly for repair and sent back to me. Approx $1200USD total
* buy the LS12 as is, send to my engineer for inspection and send to me here once approved, cost approx $2600USD
* left field option down size this entire USA voltage system now in Australia including the Furman Elite 20Pfi, step-down transformer, all USA cables, replacing them with a Rotel Michi X3 Series I. A fully balanced integrated unit with power to spare.
Something else?

That’s my quandary. Help?

Attachments

• IMG_1359.jpeg
    IMG_1359.jpeg
    635 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1291.jpeg
    IMG_1291.jpeg
    796.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1286.jpeg
    IMG_1286.jpeg
    420.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1285.jpeg
    IMG_1285.jpeg
    738.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2120.jpeg
    IMG_2120.jpeg
    911.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
The LS10 is NOT on ARC’s list of unserviceable models. https://audioresearch.com/faq/

Perhaps the list isn’t current, but the problem you describe is often just the switch, or a relay. As old as it is, if it’s never been recapped, it probably needs it.

I suspect that your service guy does not want to do a full restoration, and is unwilling to do a partial repair on something so old. Better to tell you that ARC can’t do it than to offer it after several thousand dollars in possible repairs have been committed.

You might just try to get a second opinion from another technician in OZ.

As for what to replace it with, I dunno … you really need to audition your candidates. Your system is very nice, and certainly worthy of later model preamps. In recent years, I’ve owned the LS28 and LS28SE. Both were excellent performers. Both pleased me more than my CJ ET7s2 in my CJ based system of the time. The LS28 is often available used for around $5kUS stateside. I know that doesn’t help you, but it’s my best shot. Best of luck.

Reactions: John57

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
The LS10 is NOT on ARC’s list of unserviceable models. https://audioresearch.com/faq/

Perhaps the list isn’t current, but the problem you describe is often just the switch, or a relay. As old as it is, if it’s never been recapped, it probably needs it.

I suspect that your service guy does not want to do a full restoration, and is unwilling to do a partial repair on something so old. Better to tell you that ARC can’t do it than to offer it after several thousand dollars in possible repairs have been committed.

You might just try to get a second opinion from another technician in OZ.

As for what to replace it with, I dunno … you really need to audition your candidates. Your system is very nice, and certainly worthy of later model preamps. In recent years, I’ve owned the LS28 and LS28SE. Both were excellent performers. Both pleased me more than my CJ ET7s2 in my CJ based system of the time. The LS28 is often available used for around $5kUS stateside. I know that doesn’t help you, but it’s my best shot. Best of luck.
Good morning AJ
Thank you for taking the time to reply.
Interesting fact you have surfaced on serviceability.
Trying to find competent resilient service techs here is a pin in a haystack proposition. They swore it wasn’t a dry power switch connection. No further information was available. I wish I could get my hands on a Michi X3 to try.
Maybe after this current bout of Covid I can visit a hi-fi shop and ask to borrow one. There a local shop in the big city who has at least an X5. Unless he has an X3 I’m not going to be a buyer for him though.

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
Another feature of this system is the tube based ARC Ref CD9 supplying a fully balanced solid state system that smacks of transparency. Certainly the best I’ve heard. Especially for the price.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing