Complete system for $10k that will sound good all day long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
Hello all and good evening to you. This forum lost a good man with a very fine ear today. I am saddened by him leaving.

Tom

Yea, that's sad.. Detlof don't post no more, that's sad... Spiritofmusic too, sad again. All three I enjoyed, two being my online buddies!, they laughed at my jokes and everything. To be honest detlof is a epic music lover and been in audiophile land for longer than I have been alive plus he was quite bonkers about it, in a good way. He cut his own path, I really miss him.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Yea, that's sad.. Detlof don't post no more, that's sad... Spiritofmusic too, sad again. All three I enjoyed, two being my online buddies!, they laughed at my jokes and everything. To be honest detlof is a epic music lover and been in audiophile land for longer than I have been alive plus he was quite bonkers about it, in a good way. He cut his own path, I really miss him.

Guys are dropping like flies. Maybe Detlof is just on vacation. He's my friend as well. Spirit too. Must be on holidays. Why can't we all just get along and be comfortable with other people's format choice? If someone suggests a better way, simply try it, and report feedback. It's a very simple system. And if you have data backing up why you think it's a poor choice, perfect as well. It's these exchanges that are needed in order to raise the bar of awareness, and make the thread an interesting and educational read. Win win for everyone.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
The way it's presented is the issue. If you can't see that, I can't help you sir.

I have zero choice of format. I listen to whatever sounds the best with regards to the end result as to what hits these ears. Having many issues of a release on many formats allows my ears to determine what is best. Not what's plotted or proven on some graph.

The analog guys have dropped like flies for one reason. If you can't figure that out? Again, I can't help you.

Tom

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
The way it's presented is the issue. If you can't see that, I can't help you sir.

I have zero choice of format. I listen to whatever sounds the best with regards to the end result as to what hits these ears. Having many issues of a release on many formats allows my ears to determine what is best. Not what's plotted or proven on some graph.

The analog guys have dropped like flies for one reason. If you can't figure that out? Again, I can't help you.

Tom

Yes very clear, concise, to the point, with no personal comments. Yes I know, not the usual personal attack mode that's quite common around here.

If you have no format preference, not sure why your signature says this:

"The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction."

It's okay to accept innovation.

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
Yes very clear, concise, to the point, with no personal comments. Yes I know, not the usual personal attack mode that's quite common around here.

If you have no format preference, not sure why your signature says this:

"The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction."

It's okay to accept innovation.

I have to say Tom the statement in your signature is divisive. Not really in keeping with the format agnostic claim of yours. Certainly not inclusive.

But that's OK by me, I can cope with tribalism. I am some what nomadic in nature though.

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
Anyway back to the subject.. Ish, how much did your speaker build set you back Mike? It's rude I know but they look sexy so if I am going to put a system together I need to know if I can stick them baby's in.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The statement in my signature in an opinion. Nothing more, nothing less and it is based upon nothing but my experience in this hobby. If your ears have heard what these ears have observed, perhaps you might agree.

If there are camps on this forum, I am not one of either camp. My ears determine what is preferred. Not you, not Marty, not anyone on this forum. It all boils down to what the end result of what hits these fine ears.

I would like to point out one thing. While some folks may read into things a bit too much IMO, you never know what kind of member is on the other end of the keyboard. You never know exactly what that member's knowledge base is. You never know what his or hers experience is. You never know what audio journey in life has brought that member to where they are at when they post.

What I am saying is that the forum lost an extremely well versed, experienced, extremely knowledgeable and great ear tonight. For that I am saddened.

What brought this forth? I will leave that for the membership to decide. With that said, please have a good evening. I have nothing more to say on this subject at the moment. I simply remain saddened by the end result of what happened.

Tom

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
The statement in my signature in an opinion. Nothing more, nothing less and it is based upon nothing but my experience in this hobby. If your ears have heard what these ears have observed, perhaps you might agree.

If there are camps on this forum, I am not one of either camp. My ears determine what is preferred. Not you, not Marty, not anyone on this forum. It all boils down to what the end result of what hits these fine ears.

I would like to point out one thing. While some folks may read into things a bit too much IMO, you never know what kind of man is on the other end of the keyboard. You never know exactly what that man's knowledge base is. You never know what his or hers experience is. You never know what path in life has brought that member to where they are at when they post.

What I am saying is that the forum lost an extremely well versed, experienced, extremely knowledgeable and great ear tonight. For that I am saddened.

What brought this forth? I will leave that for the membership to decide. With that said, please have a good evening. I have nothing more to say on this subject at the moment. I simply remain saddened by the end result of what happened.

Tom
I agree Tom. Though opinion or not being in a position of authority, how useful it is to carry such a divisive signature is questionable.

I am a exceptional horse as you can clearly see, I do, to a degree boarder on the ridiculous though... It's a fine line.

You try typing with these hoofs!

Have a great evening, try and save the member in question, bring him back. He was a good one!

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015

I would like to point out one thing. While some folks may read into things a bit too much IMO, you never know what kind of man is on the other end of the keyboard. You never know exactly what that man's knowledge base is. You never know what his or hers experience is. You never know what path in life has brought that member to where they are at when they post.

Tom

Come on, you are dramatizing things. Marty has blown up and left about 4 times over the last month or so. This thread was made to challenge my other thread, and start drama. You guys are probably sending PM's and laughing behind the scenes as we speak.

Last edited:

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Anyway back to the subject.. Ish, how much did your speaker build set you back Mike? It's rude I know but they look sexy so if I am going to put a system together I need to know if I can stick them baby's in.

Well it wasn't cheap as far as building speakers go. They are made out of stacked Latvian birch CNC machined to very strict tolerances. And I put several hours into sanding them, and still not finished. But without my time I have about $4000 into them. But they give speakers like the Focal Scala V2's a run for their money.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
I agree Tom. Though opinion or not being in a position of authority, how useful it is to carry such a divisive signature is questionable.

I am a exceptional horse as you can clearly see, I do, to a degree boarder on the ridiculous though... It's a fine line.

You try typing with these hoofs!

Have a great evening, try and save the member in question, bring him back. He was a good one!
I would like to point out that unless anything is posted in green ink (as also stated in my signature), it is stated as an opinion. My opinion. All members of this forum can have an opinion, just because I happen to be a moderator does not exclude my opinion. My opinion has no stance or position of any the moderators, administrators or the forum at all. It's just an opinion.......same as any other member of this forum. ;)

Tom

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
O.T.

I find that removing oneself from a forum because of dissension with a few people unfortunate. often,it is about one person. Not much is thought of those who value their opinions. A forum cannot be an echo chamber. Let's learn to disagree.

@ Blizzard

No amount of rationalization will change a fact: You are abrasive. Marty (nc42>?) came on your Forum and posted trying to engage a friendly joust with you and those who read your forum (way more than you think and many who would claim of the contrary) .. Yet you spit back your terse and harsh remarks to his face, most of yourpoint were opinions there wer NO data to back them up. They were unwarranted. You have knowledge and frankly I have learned a lot from your posts but your way of serving your advices often make them unpalatable. You will quickly find yourself alone in your corner... And that will be unfortunate, you more than many others in the forum have a lot to offer. There is genuine enthusiasm but also arrogance and too often contempt for different opinions. The same things you accuse many of.

It is hobby Mike not a life and death issue and even if it were there are better ways than slamming and pontificating.
Peace

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
Well it wasn't cheap as far as building speakers go. They are made out of stacked Latvian birch CNC machined to very strict tolerances. And I put several hours into sanding them, and still not finished. But without my time I have about $4000 into them. But they give speakers like the Focal Scala V2's a run for their money.
Cool beans Mike, are they your best effort so far? Ever made any horns? Dic fixed my drivers this week so I can whack out my infected mushroom albums now. Canned my sub woofer this week too, it just ain't worth it. It adds scale and drama but takes a little detail low down and ruins the exceptional linear quality of my vivids.

Tom, I understand your reasoning but feel it's a bit naive. Your a very vocal and formal authority figure... This extends beyond your perception, beyond your green ;)

Anyhow you have a job on your hands and giving you a hard time is not my intention.

There is a reason the queen never makes public her political preferences. Even when she is not wearing the crown this will be so. Mind you we will have to prise that crown from her cold dead hands by the look of it.

Last edited:

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
O.T.

I find that removing oneself from a forum because of dissension with a few people unfortunate. often,it is about one person. Not much is thought of those who value their opinions. A forum cannot be an echo chamber. Let's learn to disagree.

@ Blizzard

No amount of rationalization will change a fact: You are abrasive. Marty (nc42>?) came on your Forum and posted trying to engage a friendly joust with you and those who read your forum (way more than you think and many who would claim of the contrary) .. Yet you spit back your terse and harsh remarks to his face, most of yourpoint were opinions there wer NO data to back them up. They were unwarranted. You have knowledge and frankly I have learned a lot from your posts but your way of serving your advices often make them unpalatable. You will quickly find yourself alone in your corner... And that will be unfortunate, you more than many others in the forum have a lot to offer. There is genuine enthusiasm but also arrogance and too often contempt for different opinions. The same things you accuse many of.

It is hobby Mike not a life and death issue and even if it were there are better ways than slamming and pontificating.
Peace

Marty is a great guy and he'll be fine.

Last edited:

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Cool beans Mike, are they your best effort so far? Ever made any horns? Dic fixed my drivers this week so I can whack out my infected mushroom albums now. Canned my sub woofer this week too, it just ain't worth it. It adds scale and drama but takes a little detail low down and ruins the exceptional linear quality of my vivids.

No just something I tossed together with some old drivers I had laying around. I built them to test electronics for active speakers. No never built any horns yet.

Yeah powered subwoofers are hard to match up. I find a setup like this transitioning from dual 5's to dual 7's very good as far as cohesive integration goes. The upper mid actually runs full range and the lower runs from 300 hz down. So all of the drivers are moving air, and they can take a real pounding with very little strain.

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
I like your thinking.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Come on, you are dramatizing things. Marty has blown up and left about 4 times over the last month or so. This thread was made to challenge my other thread, and start drama. You guys are probably sending PM's and laughing behind the scenes as well speak.
This is exactly the type of post I was talking about Mike. Once again, if you can't see this, I can't help you sir. For the record, zero PM's and no laughing. Only sadness as represented by many PM's.

Tom

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
This is exactly the type of post I was talking about Mike. Once again, if you can't see this, I can't help you sir. For the record, zero PM's and no laughing. Only sadness as represented by many PM's.

Tom

It's like someone died. Yes great sadness to know that Hypex has come out with a superior successor to the NC400 as well as an off the shelf $200 low powered computer setup properly can out preform an $2200 aurender. I can feel the pain and I'll take a moment of silence for all who are grieving.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
What a gracious way of showing excellence. Good night sir.

Tom

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
What a gracious way of showing excellence. Good night sir.

Tom

Good night Tom. Don't worry Marty will be back. I still need to help him setup his streamer after he sees how slick it works over at geardaddy's place. Aren't you from that neck of the woods as well? Perhaps you can go with him. Might make you a digital convert yet. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing