Christmas gift is at the door, new turntable to be set up!

nickif

May 17, 2013
Yesterday Fedex guy called and there’s the huge package showed up at the door within an hour, really excited to get this set up!!!

F1634A9E-D34E-4BB9-AA3B-4B1DF86DFCEB.jpeg

8E261F22-D87E-46FD-BFA1-34C406B1EA18.jpeg

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Oh man, I would love if Santa has one in his sleigh for me. What a great turntable. Looking forward to your further pictures and report.

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Congrats! Looking forward to hearing your impressions.
Looks like an LFT1.

nickif

May 17, 2013
It took me about 4 hours to unbox and set up everything. I didn’t ask any of my friends to help intentionally because I wanted to have the complete experience, from unboxing to setting up the turntable, step by step, so that I could get a better sense of the feel/build of products intimately.

First of all, the packaging work was meticulous. There was no wood case involved in the whole chain however it feels as solid as it can be. Everything was packed in a cardboard box with lots of foams and then all the small boxes were wrapped up into a huge/thick outer box also with lots of foams. There was not even a dent in the corner of any of the small box inside. So far so good.

Every part of the turntable is about solidity. 21kg platform, 40kg base, 27kg platter, 8kg motor and 2.4kg record weight… I’m not even 40 yet and I go to the gym often, but after weight lifting all these onto the top shelf of the audio rack, I started questioning myself for not calling friends for help…well, if Mike Lavigne (who’s over 50) can do this alone, you must can, I said to myself :p

The most challenging part must be placing the 27kg platter onto the spindle, my wife is certainly not capable of anything remotely related to lifting, and what makes it even more challenging is that my SRA rack is custom made with above average height to accommodate my power amps. Fortunately, with the help of my wife for locating the position of the spindle when I was holding the platter for 1 min, it was done smoothly. Now I understand the difference between holding a 27kg barbell and holding a 27kg platter while trying to locate a 1cm spindle…

After that, everything else was as smooth as it could be, even though I had zero experience with tangential arms, the set up was surprisingly easy. What I like most about CSport is the precision, you can tell every part is made by very high standard with very low tolerance. Once setup, it feels solid, understated, there’s absolutely no wiggling no dangling no joking. Another thing impressed me is that every little thing that is put in the package is there for a purpose, for instance when (I thought) I was done, I found a tiny pin was left unused and I didn’t have a clue where to place it. Until later when I was doing the alignment I found it should be put under the base of the arm for adjusting leveling…

The same philosophy applies to the C3EQM2 phono stage, its build may not be as luxurious as say Zanden or Robert Koda, however it is solid and very fine. Just like the TAT1 turntable, it may not be as shiny as the Da Vinci EQ, but when you take a closer look, every detail has been looked after, taken care of. “Zen feel”, said Mike, which I totally agree.

Ok, enough for the setup, what about the sound? An EMT Novel gold cartridge with 0.85mv output was mounted on the AFU1-2 arm connecting to the MC input of C3EQM2 phono , I didn’t fine-tune the alignment with analog-magic yet and bear in mind only a few hours of listening time has been put on the CSport front end, therefore I don’t think it is remotely conclusive when it comes to the sound. Nevertheless, what I hear now is very very promising, the CSport combo throws a huge soundstage, the sound is fast, open, airy with solid foundation and great flow, and finally I understand special “airiness” from a linear tracking arm. Sitting next to the Davinci EQ turntable + JMF phono which I have been finetuning for a while, the CSport combo is definitely not afraid of anything!

BC497FB7-4E60-4726-B241-811DF69FE3D9.jpeg

A251F7DC-4381-4A9C-8FF1-47FC9AE4874C.jpeg

046F2CDA-E4DC-473F-9545-1F0EF0FB7D07.jpeg

B3234C89-31C8-47DA-A111-879D54A524A8.jpeg

926EB8A3-18E4-4983-A2CE-3F9CAB9FC53C.jpeg
2EECBE9E-8F95-4AED-95CA-4410EE490A4F.jpeg

djsina2

May 30, 2019
It took me about 4 hours to unbox and set up everything. I didn’t ask any of my friends to help intentionally because I wanted to have the complete experience, from unboxing to setting up the turntable, step by step, so that I could get a better sense of the feel/build of products intimately.

First of all, the packaging work was meticulous. There was no wood case involved in the whole chain however it feels as solid as it can be. Everything was packed in a cardboard box with lots of foams and then all the small boxes were wrapped up into a huge/thick outer box also with lots of foams. There was not even a dent in the corner of any of the small box inside. So far so good.

Every part of the turntable is about solidity. 21kg platform, 40kg base, 27kg platter, 8kg motor and 2.4kg record weight… I’m not even 40 yet and I go to the gym often, but after weight lifting all these onto the top shelf of the audio rack, I started questioning myself for not calling friends for help…well, if Mike Lavigne (who’s over 50) can do this alone, you must can, I said to myself :p

The most challenging part must be placing the 27kg platter onto the spindle, my wife is certainly not capable of anything remotely related to lifting, and what makes it even more challenging is that my SRA rack is custom made with above average height to accommodate my power amps. Fortunately, with the help of my wife for locating the position of the spindle when I was holding the platter for 1 min, it was done smoothly. Now I understand the difference between holding a 27kg barbell and holding a 27kg platter while trying to locate a 1cm spindle…

After that, everything else was as smooth as it could be, even though I had zero experience with tangential arms, the set up was surprisingly easy. What I like most about CSport is the precision, you can tell every part is made by very high standard with very low tolerance. Once setup, it feels solid, understated, there’s absolutely no wiggling no dangling no joking. Another thing impressed me is that every little thing that is put in the package is there for a purpose, for instance when (I thought) I was done, I found a tiny pin was left unused and I didn’t have a clue where to place it. Until later when I was doing the alignment I found it should be put under the base of the arm for adjusting leveling…

The same philosophy applies to the C3EQM2 phono stage, its build may not be as luxurious as say Zanden or Robert Koda, however it is solid and very fine. Just like the TAT1 turntable, it may not be as shiny as the Da Vinci EQ, but when you take a closer look, every detail has been looked after, taken care of. “Zen feel”, said Mike, which I totally agree.

Ok, enough for the setup, what about the sound? An EMT Novel gold cartridge with 0.85mv output was mounted on the AFU1-2 arm connecting to the MC input of C3EQM2 phono , I didn’t fine-tune the alignment with analog-magic yet and bear in mind only a few hours of listening time has been put on the CSport front end, therefore I don’t think it is remotely conclusive when it comes to the sound. Nevertheless, what I hear now is very very promising, the CSport combo throws a huge soundstage, the sound is fast, open, airy with solid foundation and great flow, and finally I understand special “airiness” from a linear tracking arm. Sitting next to the Davinci EQ turntable + JMF phono which I have been finetuning for a while, the CSport combo is definitely not afraid of anything!

View attachment 86788

View attachment 86789

View attachment 86790

View attachment 86791

View attachment 86792
View attachment 86793

I suppose this is the new nickel plated brass platter?

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
Oh man, I would love if Santa has one in his sleigh for me. What a great turntable. Looking forward to your further pictures and report.
I think we can say santa visited you early on, Bobvin, and quite a few times too !

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I think we can say santa visited you early on, Bobvin, and quite a few times too !
Indeed you are correct. With the big Bayz CounterPoint speakers enroute, and Emile et.al. working on getting my Extreme server built, those shipments won't have to fit into Santa's bag, leaving lots of room for CS Port turntable.

Please Santa? Pretty Please!

I promise I've been good!

Reactions: nickif and matakana

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Congratulations look like this year's Christmas just go improved.

Reactions: nickif

scot

Jan 4, 2018
Hi nickif

Congratulations! Absolutely gorgeous, and oh, by the way, it also plays lp’s, even better. Are there any dealers in the USA? I know Mike L loves his table and arm and I’m sure you will get many years of enjoyment out of yours as well. The entire system is stunning. Use it in good health. Take care.

Best regards
Scot

Reactions: nickif

nickif

May 17, 2013
I suppose this is the new nickel plated brass platter?

This is the steel platter, I was told by Machino San the update of the brass platter is to accommodate air-core coil cartridge rather than sonic upgrade.

Reactions: marmota and djsina2

nickif

May 17, 2013
Hi nickif

Congratulations! Absolutely gorgeous, and oh, by the way, it also plays lp’s, even better. Are there any dealers in the USA? I know Mike L loves his table and arm and I’m sure you will get many years of enjoyment out of yours as well. The entire system is stunning. Use it in good health. Take care.

Best regards
Scot

Thanks Scot!

I‘m located in Hong Kong and yes I think the CSport and Da Vinci are among the most beautiful turntables on the planet ;)

Best Regards,
Michael

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
congrats Michael,

the pictures are awesome. very happy for you. love your comment about the 'ariness'. as you go along the nuance and special delicacy of the low flow, low pressure air bearing platter and arm combo becomes addictive. i know i cannot get enough of it.

enjoy the discovery process. :)

Reactions: amadeus and Bobvin

nickif

May 17, 2013
congrats Michael,

the pictures are awesome. very happy for you. love your comment about the 'ariness'. as you go along the nuance and special delicacy of the low flow, low pressure air bearing platter and arm combo becomes addictive. i know i cannot get enough of it.

enjoy the discovery process. :)

Thanks a lot Mike! For the nice word and your invaluable live assistance during the set-up :)

I’ve read your CSport thread post by post for at least three times, that’s why I told my wife you are the one who should be responsible for all the mess :p

Reactions: bazelio

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Thanks a lot Mike! For the nice word and your invaluable live assistance during the set-up :)

I’ve read your CSport thread post by post for at least three times, that’s why I told my wife you are the one who should be responsible for all the mess :p
my pleasure, both to assist, and to be blamed. what are friends for? :cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing