CH Precision L1 vs C1.2 Pre-Dac?

Normal listening my meters usually show in the 30s to 60s. When at a pretty healthy volume, I'd be rocking between 100 and 170 watts whether I'm listening to jazz, classical or even melodic tech and trance. When I do decide to get really stupid wattage use can climb very quickly as the amp deals with the increases in back EMF in order to control the speaker drivers. In the case of both M1.1 and M10s we are talking about playing distortion free in the kilowatt range. Strangely enough it isn't classical music, pipe organ included that tends to eat up gobs of power. I've found music that employs constant beds of electric bass guitars (mic'd up guitar cabinets) and especially percussive piano parts.

We have to remember that sound pressure is logarithmic and the wattage use can climb very quickly. Doubling wattage does not double SPL. What going from Stereo to Mono gives you is not so much the rated rms gains but double the power supply reserves. The left and right channel will not be drawing/competing for the reserves that reside in the capacitor banks ergo headroom. This also helps with channel separation/imaging but this is typically made out to be a bigger deal than it is. The improvements are there but most will not say WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE! :D

For me it is like having a 2.0 litre turbodiesel rental vs a performance car. The speed limit will have you driving at the speed the cops will willingly turn a blind eye and no more than that but the rental will be pretty close to its limits overtaking at 140 to 160kph but the performance car might not even have to kick down a gear when you move over to the overtake lane to pass. The limit in audio is when things like thermal compression, clipping and even potential damage happens. Going mono gives you that added cushion.
“The improvements are there but most will not say WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE!”
This made me think L1 is my upgrade to feel a resl sonic jump after my C1.2-X1 set up with M1.1
Thank you

CH products were designed with their Linestage in mind.

While the C1.2 is impressive in it's own rights, it wasn't until I added the CH preamp that I truly realize how amazing CH Precision's sound can be.

The additional focus and stability that an excellent active line stage bring is just incredible.

While some other brand's dacs are designed so that a line stage may not be as required.
The sweet volume spot will still be smaller than if an excellent line stage is in the chain.

With an excellent preamp, you are able to listen to any song in your preferred volume, and have the same transparency and focus.

So yes, my suggestion would also be to save up and get the L1.
And then in the future the X1, and then you can power the C1.2 and L1 together in the future.
And that would give you a even larger boost in quality , then you would if you bought the X1 alone.

CH products were designed with their Linestage in mind.

While the C1.2 is impressive in it's own rights, it wasn't until I added the CH preamp that I truly realize how amazing CH Precision's sound can be.

The additional focus and stability that an excellent active line stage bring is just incredible.

While some other brand's dacs are designed so that a line stage may not be as required.
The sweet volume spot will still be smaller than if an excellent line stage is in the chain.

With an excellent preamp, you are able to listen to any song in your preferred volume, and have the same transparency and focus.

So yes, my suggestion would also be to save up and get the L1.
And then in the future the X1, and then you can power the C1.2 and L1 together in the future.
And that would give you a even larger boost in quality , then you would if you bought the X1 alone.

My point exactly .

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

Reactions: delphi17
I bought in 2015 C 1 and A1 mono
X1 and L1 was not yet in production
Then bought X1 and was a big step
When L1 was in production I tried at home and C1 with L1,using C1 like dat without his volume control, was another big step

The sound adding L 1 to C 1 in my system was more transparent, more aire and details and better depth and scene

Then bought M1,P1. ,I love this brand

Will like to pass to 10 series, but really too expensive for me

I bought in 2015 C 1 and A1 mono
X1 and L1 was not yet in production
Then bought X1 and was a big step
When L1 was in production I tried at home and C1 with L1,using C1 like dat without his volume control, was another big step

The sound adding L 1 to C 1 in my system was more transparent, more aire and details and better depth and scene

Then bought M1,P1. ,I love this brand

Will like to pass to 10 series, but really too expensive for me
Thank you. Now i use C1.2 with X1 and M1.2. What i feel is sound is great so far. I really want to try L1 to understand if it is worth the extra budget. Even with it i am very happy with the sound. Especially the soundstage depth and seperetain. What sould expect to improve with L1 ?

I increased aire,transparency,and depth
But mine was C1, could be with C1.2 L1 improvment is less

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing