Canon Rumors

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Not the 5DmkIII which I heard as a May 2012 release, but this looks like a somewhat more than incremental upgrade:

http://dpreview.com/previews/canons100

new chip, lens, processor, an 8 fps burst mode, true HD movies, more control -- if IQ is good, this is interesting

Steve Williams

I heard that the upgraded new 7dMkll will have the same full frame sensor as the 5D Mkll does now and the anticipated 5d Mk lll will be obviously more feature laden

I love the news on the S100. When will that surface as I was planning on taking my S95 on vacation in November

Steve Williams

I was interested in 2 comments

1. The fact that the S100's self timer is now buried in the menus and more difficult to access

2. It has a built in GPS which will show where the photos were taken

I am amazed at my S95 but this looks like a step up

Bob are you planning on trading for your S95

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Actually, I still have an S90. S95 didn't seem enough of an upgrade to me. I try to stick to my policy of skipping at least one generation in a model line as it turns over as their usually isn't enough of a gain to justify the dollars. Not always successful :) but have been in this case. S100, depending on IQ though, seems a potentially nice jump. GPS will be handy, though self-timer is not a big deal to me. If there's something more useful on one of the directions of the 4 way switcher, I'm for it. Hope the wheel too has more resistance. Have been very happy w/the S90 btw, love that I can toss something with that IQ and control into my pocket.

Would be surprised if the successor to the 7D goes full frame, that would leave a big hole in their APS-C/DX lineup. Maybe a different model # and an even lower priced (vs 5DmkII/III) full frame.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Hmmm... The 7D is on my short list, bumped aside for other things at the moment. I too would be quite surprised to see it go full-frame, though it might then compete better with Nikon's similarly-priced full-frame models on noise and effective resolution (Canon has more pixels but Nikon seems to have more ability to resolve fine details and lower noise). OTOH, I actually like the lens factor and cheaper "digital" lenses...

Steve Williams

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Hmmm... The 7D is on my short list, bumped aside for other things at the moment. I too would be quite surprised to see it go full-frame, though it might then compete better with Nikon's similarly-priced full-frame models on noise and effective resolution (Canon has more pixels but Nikon seems to have more ability to resolve fine details and lower noise). OTOH, I actually like the lens factor and cheaper "digital" lenses...

Hey Don --

If you don't already have Canon glass, you might check out the Nikon D7000 -- it's a fantastic camera.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Not the 5DmkIII which I heard as a May 2012 release, but this looks like a somewhat more than incremental upgrade:

http://dpreview.com/previews/canons100

new chip, lens, processor, an 8 fps burst mode, true HD movies, more control -- if IQ is good, this is interesting
I was interested in this until I saw the sale price >$400. Didn't think compact cameras cost this much still. Needed it for my wife but not sure I can justify this much expense.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I was interested in this until I saw the sale price >$400. Didn't think compact cameras cost this much still. Needed it for my wife but not sure I can justify this much expense.

Pretty sure the few cams in its class, small body/big chip such as the Oly XZ-1 and Panasonic LX5 are around the same $$$

Steve Williams

For the money Amir, it is an amazing camera. You can't go wrong. I'm going to give my wife my S95 and I am going to get the S100

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
For the money Amir, it is an amazing camera. You can't go wrong. I'm going to give my wife my S95 and I am going to get the S100

Now that's how men justify an upgrade :)

And yeah, I think it's the best IQ/cubic inch out there

Steve Williams

Now that's how men justify an upgrade :)

And yeah, I think it's the best IQ/cubic inch out there

I am simply amazed Bob at the IQ of this camera. The S95 does HD video at 720p however the S100 now does 1080p24

Plus the grip Bob that you turned me onto makes holding the camera a cinch. The new S100 has a rubber grip on the back. I have had countless people stop me and comment on my S95 with the grip

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

I bought my wife the IXUS 310 HS (the Elph 500 here in the US) when we were back in Singapore as the S100 wasn't available yet. The pictures we took are almost comparable to the ones taken with my long-time point-n-shoot the Canon Pro-1 (with the L lens). I was tempted with the S95, but the lens on the Pro-1 is just too good to mothball. It's just a little too bulky to be pocket-able though.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

It is very comforting to hear that I am not the only person using this upgradus modus operandi ;) ;) ;)

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Just picked up an S100, am taking it to Mexico with me Sat, and will report back about it when back. May try to buy an underwater housing for it too.

BTW, bestbuy has a 10% off coupon Avail online I was able to use.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I wish the grip was more substantial, but it's helpful. In addition to some new, strategically placed rubber patches, the body is textured, almost like a powder-coat, which makes it a bit less slippery. It also appears slimmer.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing