The Search For A Simple Solution With Paper Thin Walls

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
The Search For A Simple Solution With Paper Thin Walls

Having lived in a plaster and wood lath walled house for the past 27 years that was built in the early 1900's I forgot how terrible typical stud walls with drywall are - acoustically speaking that is.

Our new house (built in 1947) had the walk-out basement lower level finished by the previous owner. Tap the drywall ceiling and walls and they sing like a tin drum.

Short of tearing it all out and starting over I'm looking for a shortcut, and my imagination has come up with one, a bit unconventional.

Here is some recent reading I've done as a background before I spring my idea on the world.

How To Make Walls Quiet

In short the above says use Mass loaded vinyl (MLV) barrier (rubber-like dampening) and QuietRock a multi-layer laminated gypsum wall product with a middle layer of "viscoelastic sound-absorbing polymers".

Soundproofing 101: How To Keep Your Home Theater Quiet

The above article by Bob Ankosko is kind of depressing when it says 90% of resilient channel jobs are botched. However page-2 offers hope with Rubber Sound Isolation Clips, well kind of.

Anyway the conclusion of both articles is to get into the 10-20 dbl (50%-75%) improvement/reduction range, 3 dbl of insulation and 3 dbl's of a second layer of drywall isn't going to cut it.

Most of the products offering best improvements use rubber/vinyl/viscoelastic layer and or special rubbery glues/caulks to similar affect.

So the brainstorm hits me, kill two birds with one stone, install a decorative product over my boring white walls that will not reduce the size of my room by much and not become a major construction project.

Such a product will have a rubber/vinyl backer and simply self-adhere, glue or screw on to the existing wall (inside of stereo room).

I was thinking wood on the face for looks (textured or perforated is okay) with a rubber/vinyl backer already bonded to it.

Sounds like a flooring, right?

Ever try to Google "wood rubber" flooring or panel or tile? In short, I did not find what I was looking for, not yet anyway.

My room is really small, but I could maybe install a Mass loaded vinyl (MLV) barrier to the existing drywall, furr-out with 1/2" wood strips, and cover with a cork backed perforated wood veneer tile. I get the mass damping of the rubber, a tiny airspace, and back of panel absorption, plus good reflection on the wood face so the room isn't totally dead.

I'd settle for the simplest solution, a tile/panel perhaps of wood with a rubber backer - one step and done.

I'm not so keen on vinyl flooring that looks like wood or composite flooring with a photo finish. That's what I seem to keep finding.

There are ceiling panels like I've described in wood with holes or without holes but they lack the rubber backer, plus are expensive I imagine.

Several PVC decorative wall panels from the Big Box home improvements stores look affordable and interesting, but not quite the direction I wanted to take this.

In conclusion, if anyone knows of or finds something like I've described to put on my walls and ceiling please post it, and a link would help.

Cheers, George/kach22i

Reactions: Hi-FiGuy

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
https://hushcitysp.com/product/mass-loaded-vinyl-mlv-2/

I guess this is another option in the same spirit of my original concept if only the top layer isn't drywall but birch plywood, perhaps cut in 32"Wx16"Hx3/4"D pieces and staggered like stone or brick/block.

https://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/noise_barrier/mass-loaded-vinyl-barrier-class-a.html

MLV sound barrier can be nailed, screwed, stapled or can be reinforced and grommeted and hung like a curtain.

Looks like it can be installed in many ways.

Last edited:

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Looks like the idea is to let the MLV hang lose and get floppy which is why it works best over studs and not layered inbetween two sheets of drywall or other material.

I'm thinking of furring out existing wall, stapling on the MLV and then covering with the decorative face of plywood.

https://acousticalsolutions.com/mass-loaded-vinyl-and-the-correct-uses-for-it/

Obviously, the wall can’t be made to be floppy; but the soundproofing inside the wall can be floppy. In the Science of Acoustics, we call it a “Limp Mass Barrier.” This is typically why the Mass Loaded Vinyl is instructed to be installed against the studs and then drywall over it. This allows the barrier to move in 3-Dimensional space and bleed off the energy of the sound, resulting in greater net losses of sound propagation through the wall.

“But I don’t want to rip down my sheet rock to put this stuff up.” That’s fine, no need to, really. The solution here is to find the studs behind the existing sheetrock with a stud finder, mark them with a blue line, and screw in some Furring strips vertically-through the sheetrock – into the studs.

Also found this:

DIY: StratiQuilt™ Room Treatment

Another option, but only if I want a totally dead room.

https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Absorbing-Black-Ceiling-Panels/dp/B07QNH8QPT/?tag=bhma010c-20

• Reduces echo, reverberation and background noise in a space as well as transference of that noise to another room.
  • Easy to install, impact resistant, waterproof, Eco-friendly, formaldehyde free, 100% recyclable.
  • Sound absorbing two tone panels can be used as ceiling tiles or wall panels
  • NCR rating of .70, Flame retardant, ASTME-84 Class A rated.
  • One package contains 10 panels and covers 80 square feet

Last edited:

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I found something close to what I was originally looking for, and or that could be adapted to be that thing.

However the more I understand MLV, the more I want to use it to get the most out of it, and that means NOT sandwiched between a layer of something else - but left floppy like a curtain behind a layer of something else (gypsum/wood).

Subdue® X
https://www.pyroteknc.com/products/subdue/subdue-x/
subdue-x-main.jpg
Subdue Range

lightweight multilayered acoustic panels
Subdue® is a lightweight multilayered panel offering exceptional acoustic properties. The outer layers of the sandwich panel are constructed from a choice of lightweight, but rigid and strong high-quality materials, such as plywood with a range of sound insulating inner core materials. The panels are specially designed to optimise acoustic solutions at lower weights and are an ideal choice in weight-sensitive applications where strength and good sound insulation properties are required. The panels can be supplied in standard or custom-designed modular sizes.

Last edited:

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I just found another interesting material.

It is thin and light weight.

Nissan shows off new noise-reducing meta-material at CES
Shane McGlaun - Jan 7, 2020, 8:59 am CST
https://www.slashgear.com/nissan-shows-off-new-noise-reducing-meta-material-at-ces-07605973/

It’s a combination of a lattice structure and a plastic film that controls air vibrations to limit the transmission of a wide range of band noise in the 500 to 1200 hertz range. That covers noise from the road and engine. Nissan says that the material currently used for blocking this type of sound is a heavy rubber board.

The new acoustic meta-material weighs one-fourth as much as the current materials while providing the same degree of sound isolation. The simple structure of the material makes it cost-competitive in terms of mass production. The lightweight and similar pricing means that the new material can be applied in situations that are currently limited due to cost or weight.

The press release link with links to Youtube videos.

https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/re...lightweight-noise-reducing-technology-at-ces#

When I do a search on "acoustic honeycomb" I see there are already a host of similar products out there.

Last edited:

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Just wanted to add this video for anyone looking for a peel and stick solution for high and mid frequencies, I am afraid you will still need some corner bass traps to complete a listening room, and I have no idea what the sound transmission coefficient (STC) is claimed to be.

Flat Panel VMT and VicWallpaper office renovation

I am skeptical about using tape below grade in a basement or walk-out situation where some listening rooms may be located.

https://vicoustic.com/product/flat-panel-vmt?collection=Natural Stones&pattern-vmt=Callacata Carrara&size=1190x595x20mm
Flat Panel VMT panels are designed to perform primarily in the medium and high frequencies.

https://vicoustic.com/product/vicwa...tterns=Deck&vicwallpaper-vmt-sizes=595x595x10
VicWallpaper VMT is a revolutionary new way of acoustic and thermal isolation, for residencial and commercial applications. This acoustic wallpaper was developed to perform over medium to high frequencies, is ideal for improving speech and intelligibility on places like meeting rooms, living rooms or classrooms.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing