Canon Rumors

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Well Rob my S95 has just been all over Israel and Jordan. Took almost 1500 photos and it performed flawlessly. Looking forward to the S100. Yesterday in Petra while everyone was fumbling with their large cameras and lenses I was clicking away. Love this camera

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Back from Mexico, and while I haven't had a chance to comprehensively view the images, I think the S100 is a big improvement over the S90. MUCH faster in terms of focusing and shot speed, one of my big gripes w/the 90 -- missed a lot of shots with it. I appreciate the greater zoom range too, though this is somewhat offset by a relatively high minimum aperture at the long end. But then this is offset by significantly better high ISO performance -- on balance I'll definitely take the 100s greater zoom range.

Movies much better too and the autofocus worked pretty quickly and well. Did a nice job tracking my wife and one of my daughters as the approached me quickly on a zip line. And there is far greater resolution than the 90s movies too.

Ergonomics somewhat better too -- the back wheel which as very prone to spin on the 90 and screw up exposures is notchier now, and you also have to press the top part of the ring it surrounds. An extra step but I'm OK with it vs. a wheel that spins too easily and can mess up exposure. The textured body is grippier too which is good. I will check out the new Franiec grip for it in any case. When I've had a chance to look at the images more closely, I'll comment on IQ.

Haven't used an Olympus XZ-1, but outside of that, I think Canon is still making the best supercompact relatively big chip cams on the market. I know the Panasonic LX5 has a lot of fans, but it's size makes it a tough fit in my jeans pocket -- just a little too big for comfort.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Well Rob my S95 has just been all over Israel and Jordan. Took almost 1500 photos and it performed flawlessly. Looking forward to the S100. Yesterday in Petra while everyone was fumbling with their large cameras and lenses I was clicking away. Love this camera

Yep, makes it hard sometimes to want to lug around my DSLR. That said, I'm eagerly awaiting the Nikon D800

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Spring is what I've heard on the 5DmkIII. Word is the D800 is closer to release and was delayed by the tsunami in Japan and floods in Thailand.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Does anyone have newer ETA on the Canon 7D MkII?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Does anyone have newer ETA on the Canon 7D MkII?

From what I understand Canon releases new models in the spring. Both the 5D Mk lll and the 7D Mk ll were rumored to have been released this past spring. So much for rumors

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yep, makes it hard sometimes to want to lug around my DSLR. That said, I'm eagerly awaiting the Nikon D800

I wonder how much this body will go for. I've already got the lenses I need since I've been shooting with a D700 for some time now. I'm happy with the picture quality, but the kids are growing up and we need a new camcorder. Do I go for a typical camcorder or a D800? Oh boy.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I don't see the point of a typical camcorder given my D7000 and S100 for family/vacation type stuff. I think my old Canon HV30 is the last of the camcorders for me. The lack of control on still cam based video is far outweighed by only having to carry one body. Heck, I'm pretty happy with the vids on my iPhone 4s -- always handy and shockingly good quality.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Steve, the D700 doesn't have video capability.

Thanks Bob, I don't think the lack of control will be an issue for me but I can see how it would be for a professional cinematographer like yourself. I was then thinking about the weight and came to the conclusion that it would actually be a good thing. The fact that I'll be using two hands instead of one will make for steadier video. That's always been my beef with camcorders. Home movies have that Paranormal Activity, Blair Witch Project thing going. LOL. True, there's always the smartphones to catch the spontaneous stuff. That's it then. I'll make the reservation. Then again, methinks I shall wait for the price to drop!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Rumor is it will sell for around $4,000

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
d3 is road mapped to update later in 2012. I'm guessing they're going to come in under 4, say $3700 or do. Would guess no price drop for several months given Nikon's past patterns but release and price of 5DmkIII might change that.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing