Canon EOS 5D Mk lll-It's Finally Here

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
They'll both be excellent in low light and have plenty of crop room. Try to play with both and let your hands decide.

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
Stay cool. In every Canon/Nikon Forum you get the impression that life is not worth living without those. (i bet, some track the Cargo Ships...)
And when the first ones are delivered, the following will happen:
"I have it!!!!! Yeah, I have it!!!!!
(Crowd: "Congrats !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
" I made my first comparisons and it is really impressing!!!!
(Crowd: "Show pics !!!!)
"Here are my first ones, nothing special, just right out of the car..."
(Crowd: "Thank you. Great")

and so on and on

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Stay cool. In every Canon/Nikon Forum you get the impression that life is not worth living without those. (i bet, some track the Cargo Ships...)
And when the first ones are delivered, the following will happen:
"I have it!!!!! Yeah, I have it!!!!!
(Crowd: "Congrats !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
" I made my first comparisons and it is really impressing!!!!
(Crowd: "Show pics !!!!)
"Here are my first ones, nothing special, just right out of the car..."
(Crowd: "Thank you. Great")

and so on and on

Here is a comparison that should convince people

http://m.engadget.com/default/artic...00-sample-images/&category=classic&postPage=1

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Another place to look: http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

Zooming in and poking aorund the ISO 25,600 image, I prefer the Canon by and large. You can tell the Nikon has more resolution, but also more noise. This is the opposite of what I have seen for previous generations, when Canon went for lots of pixels and Nikon fewer. Shoe's on the other foot now and it shows...

Both blow away the 7D. Rats, may have to start saving for a 5D...

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Another place to look: http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

Zooming in and poking aorund the ISO 25,600 image, I prefer the Canon by and large. You can tell the Nikon has more resolution, but also more noise. This is the opposite of what I have seen for previous generations, when Canon went for lots of pixels and Nikon fewer. Shoe's on the other foot now and it shows...
Wow. The 25K ISO images from Canon or essentially noise-free whereas the Nikon is very noisy. At that ISO I see no resolution advantage for Nikon either. As was said earlier, it is strange to see Nikon and Canon change camp.

I guess I have to put it on my Xmas list. :)

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
We'll have to see real world. I also am not sure how meaningful 25600 ISO is except for perhaps night exteriors where you want extreme depth of field. The Canon C300 cine camera demonstrated some of this performance. It's impressive and certainly I'd rather have the capability than not if all other factors are equal though I wonder how much shooting I'd really want or would do at this ISO (among other things, usually I'm working to blur the background when not shooting landscapes)

Again, my suspicion is that all these new gen cams 5DmkIII, D4, D800 can do pretty much anything if used properly.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
It is not as much at ISO 25K is useful but rather, if it is clean there, it will certainly be clean well below that. Right now with my pro bodies when shooting wildlife I stay at or below 400. At 800 it gets noisy enough that I prefer to not use it yet such ISO is not enough at dawn when I am shooting wildlife. I could easily go higher if the noise was more under control.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Canon's Chuck Westfall is the main source of insight into their technology (usually a pain otherwise with Japanese companies). This interview details some of the amazing features of the new bodies: http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/AH_CW_interview/

Highly recommended read. Sadly, after reading it, I am tempted to empty our bank account to get thew bodies :(. I live and die by autofocus performance and boy, are these cameras better spec wise.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Boy, that is a very nice review (other than the video ability which seems poor given lack of AF and Zoom). At this rate it will be a Christmas present for me if I get it. Thankfully I didn't get Mark II so I don't feel as bad as I would otherwise having to upgrade :).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing