Monument, CO

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Hmmm... From my first link:

The 5D Mark III should arrive in the US market from the end of March 2012, priced at around US$3,500 body-only, or US$4,300 in a kit with an EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens. More details in our Canon 5D Mark III preview.

One thing I have found a bit shocking is the price of flash units and accessories... $630 USD for the Speedlite 600EX-RT, $490 for the battery grip... I had conniptions many years ago when the flash for my first digital camera (a Minolta, about $700 back then) was around $200- $300.

Anyway, I can dream about the big boys, but my debate is a more mundane 7D vs. T3i...

Steve, have you pre-ordered yet?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Nice camera. I still have my Mark I and very much enjoy using it. So much so that I don't have the upgrade fever :). I have the 1Ds for 21 megapxiels but it is heavy.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Nice camera. I still have my Mark I and very much enjoy using it. So much so that I don't have the upgrade fever :). I have the 1Ds for 21 megapxiels but it is heavy.

Well how about move over 1Ds and welcome 1Dx

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Not upgrading anything. I upgrade through 3+ generations of the cropped sensors (10D, 20D, 30D and 40D), 1D and 1Ds series and the 5D. I have something 8 to 10 camera bodies! Donated some but having spent $40K+ or whatever it was, not motivated to buy anymore :). Maybe next time I learn to sell the old ones before they become worthless :). In the old days, the improves were massive. My first gen 1Ds had awful grainy LCD, huge and not very powerful batteries, was slow, only 11 megapixels, etc. But now, the performance is very high in all of my current bodies. I use my 5D as a fancy point and shoot and it does superb there.

The one thing I am eyeing but not buying is the 800f5.6. Otherwise, any money is better spent going on location to shoot!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
BTW, can some one explain the necessity on this camera of ISO settings to 102,800
It is partly marketing. It is supposed to show that the camera had such low noise that they could amplify the signal up to that level and have it still be usable. Of course, they use noise reduction to get there but they don't say that. Nikon started that war a few years ago and Canon and others followed.

As to why someone would need that, a lot of applications calls for it. Concerts for example where flash should not be used is one as they can be quite dark. Indoor sports where they need very high shutter speeds to freeze action is another. When shooting wildlife, one of the two best times is when around sunrise. With a supertelephoto being at F8 with a teleconverter, and needing a ton of speed to cope with lens and subject vibrations is another. Personally thought, I don't go above 800 for my wildlife work as the noise level gets too high but sometimes it is the only tool you have.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Is that an L Lens
Yes:

MSRP is a cool $14,000! Canon has gone insane with the prices of their newer lenses. My 600 F4 was just $7,000 or so. It is even a bigger monster. The newer generation has better image stabilization and somewhat better optics. The main reason the 800 f5.6 is desirable is that 50% of the time, I am using a 1.5X teleconverter with my 600 mm to get enough reach. That makes it a f5.6, the same as the 800 f5.6. The problem is, as soon as you put on a teleconverter, the camera focus speed slows down and that can be a huge problem for shooting birds in flight. The camera may not be able to keep up with the flying animal and you wind up with a lot of out of focus shots.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I did. They had them in a glass case. Usually they have them out on tripods but I don't recall if they did this year. I was late and only spent a few minutes there, looking at their new video cameras based on DSLR technology.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
You sound like when I keep saying that money is better spent on buying more music :D
The hobby really parallels audio. It is so tempting to keep buying gear. Then I spent $2K on a workshop and boy, did I learn a lot. There are a lot of scams there as far as workshops (where you pay the instructor to go on *his* photo trip and you are just there for the ride). But if you find the right one, it is really worth it.

Gary, if you are into photography, we should do a trip together. One of the ones I have been meaning to do is eastern washington in spring. The Palouse area. I have been there in fall and spring and they are good then. I can just imagine how great they will be in spring. They are rolling hills that are farmed with wheat and hence, make for great abstract images:

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Yes - it really does! I stopped myself from throwing more and more money into gear many, many years ago and like my hifi, my cameras don't get upgraded for years and years. I still have a working Olympus 3030Z and a Canon Pro1. If we can both find a time that we can get away together, I think that it will be great fun - I've never been an outdoor photographer, more of an indoor studio/available light guy - so I'll learn a lot from you about landscapes. I don't have the patience for birds..... except for this variety:

1/20 sec f/6.3 studio incandescent light

View attachment 3132

And here's an available light shot - 1/6 sec f/2.8 hand held

View attachment 3131

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing