Bryston-A Sleeping Giant

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Don-I almost always find myself in agreement with you.

Mark

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
No idea, sorry. Not a guy I really know, just been exchanging PMs on another forum. Mainly about Maggies, but he asked about Bryston amps and I suggested they were good. He also picked up a demo (I think) ARC preamp to go with his new Maggies. I admit envy.

Maybe I'll lose all credibility, but I did not think the early Brystons sounded bad at all. In comparison with most of the other high-power amps I heard in the 70's and 80's they were held up well on the bench and to our ears. I was listening to them, ML, and Krell for SS at the time (among others); I ultimately bought a Counterpoint amp not because I thought it was the best amp but because it was the best match to my system (bi-amped Maggies with an ARC D-79 on top). I am not sure I could have picked the Bryston out from the ML or Krell stereo amps in a DBT using musical source and moderate volumes.

FWIWFM - Don

p.s. Thanks Mark!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Where do they make those Bryston Amps, Preamps, DACs?

Where is the Anthem Statement D2v/ARC1 Surround Pre/Pro made?

Paradigm Reference Signature loudspeakers?

PMC speakers?

Odyssee Motion Simulator (D-Box)?

PSB Speakers?

Image, Mirage M series, Energy Veritas loudspeakers?

Poutine? :)

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I sent an email to James Tanner from Bryston and gave him the URL to this thread and asked him to take a look with the hope that he will chime in and hopefully be available to address some of the issues that have surfaced about Bryston. He indicated that he will look at the thread and we will just have to wait and see if he makes any comments. I have found him to be one of the more straight forward people I have met in audio during the past 40 years and certainly one of the more knowledgeable and likeable.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have been reading about the 28bSST2 with great interest. i own a Gryphon Antileon whose sound i love...solid state Class A. Can anyone tell me how the 28bSST2 sounds in comparison to Gryphon amps? Thanks for any guidance.

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Sorry to return to an old thread, but an acquaintance bought a Bryston to drive his new Magneplanars and whilst looking around I happened to look at the 28's specs. There is nothing but 8-ohm ratings, somewhat a surprise even though it appears to be a bridged design. Anybody asked Bryston if it will drive 4-ohm speakers?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Thanks folk,

I was pretty sure it could, just surprised it wasn't spec'd. Very un-Bryston. I thought I saw a pair of 28's in a show picture, driving the new 3.7's. I will follow up on the reviews this weekend.

All the Best - Don

acadie

Aug 22, 2011
Ottawa, Ont, Canada
I just replaced my Clayton Audio M200 with a pair of Bryston 7B-SST². The reason I sold the Clayton was the heat they created in the listening room. After I sold the Clayton, I did not know what amplifier to get.

So I got a pair of new 7B from a friend on mine who had an audio shop. He sold them to me at a good price and felt they would be a temporary solution while I shop for a new amp. I could easily sell the Bryston back and not lose any money (friend sold it almost at cost).

What a surprise I got when I sat to listen to my system after I let the Bryston play 24/7 for a week. It was a really big surprise. I did own in the past a 3B-ST (1998) and had borrowed a 4B-ST a few year ago. I did not like those amp other than the good bass they gave. I was expecting something in the same line with the the 7B.

But I think I did find the amplifier I was looking for. The sound is awesome. I've had them for almost 6 weeks now and I am still excited with the Bryston.

I will probably get the 28B-SST² within the next year or so.

This was one of my really nice surprise in audio since I got into this hobby about 25 yrs ago.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
But I think I did find the amplifier I was looking for. The sound is awesome. I've had them for almost 6 weeks now and I am still excited with the Bryston.

I will probably get the 28B-SST² within the next year or so.

This was one of my really nice surprise in audio since I got into this hobby about 25 yrs ago.

Congratulations! I still want to get a pair of 28B-sst2's. All the reviews of the new amps have been stellar and it's almost funny, comes as a surprise to the new owners. Please keep us updated as they break in more.

Good Luck!

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Thanks Jeff,
always interesting to read articles like those and not just the reviews.
Thanks again.
Orb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing