Looking for a new CD-player, Aesthetix, Esoteric, Lux or….

Hasse

Jan 11, 2016
I’ve been looking at Aesthetix Romulus (Sign) which according to some rewievers should have a more analogue sound. Downside; no SACD capability.
I’m also interested in the new Esoteric K-05XD and the Luxman D-07X. Are the two latter more analytical and cold sounding, what are your thoughts?
Rest of the system: Bryston BDP-3 streamer, Gryphon Diablo 300 and Magnepan 3.7’s.
Your input would be much appreciated.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
If I did not get a Lampizator DAC I would have gotten the Aesthetix Pandora.

Reactions: Hasse

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have read very very good things about APL - designed by Alex Peychev. I have never heard, but everything I have read is one of the ultimate single-box players...super organic, and yet super detailed and balanced.

1699401682472.png

And a very impressive roster of serious importers who carry major high end names as well: (including Perfect Sense who is a member here, along with Ultimate Audio in Portugal who I believe also occasionally has posted here. In the US as well. Here in the UK, it is Definitive Audio who basically are the brains behind the legendary Living Voice Vox Olympian speakers...that says something to me about how good APL digital should be.

Reactions: Golum

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
The new discrete dacs from Esoteric are very musical although I liked the last generation as well. I think to a large degree which CD player you end up liking will have a lot to do with system synergy as well as your own preferences and ultimately you should try and demo each of these units in your system and determine which sounds best to you as they are all great machines.

Hasse

Jan 11, 2016
I have read very very good things about APL - designed by Alex Peychev. I have never heard, but everything I have read is one of the ultimate single-box players...super organic, and yet super detailed and balanced.

View attachment 119483

And a very impressive roster of serious importers who carry major high end names as well: (including Perfect Sense who is a member here, along with Ultimate Audio in Portugal who I believe also occasionally has posted here. In the US as well. Here in the UK, it is Definitive Audio who basically are the brains behind the legendary Living Voice Vox Olympian speakers...that says something to me about how good APL digital should be.

”The DTR-MR is our reference digital audio CD/SACD transport, designed to work as a tandem with our top-line DSD-MR and DSD-SR converters”
I’m sure this cd-transport is top notch but costs way more than I’m willing to spend on a cd-player/dac.

Hasse

Jan 11, 2016
The new discrete dacs from Esoteric are very musical although I liked the last generation as well. I think to a large degree which CD player you end up liking will have a lot to do with system synergy as well as your own preferences and ultimately you should try and demo each of these units in your system and determine which sounds best to you as they are all great machines.
Very hard to get a home demo of Esoteric where I’m located
Are the new Esoteric cd-players warmer/more organic than the older ones?

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I would listen to Metronome Player if you can. They have a very nice analog sound.
Le player 4+ have option for streaming card too.

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
Very hard to get a home demo of Esoteric where I’m located
Are the new Esoteric cd-players warmer/more organic than the older ones?
Definitely more organic than in the past and creates an incredible sound stage with all of the dynamics Esoteric is known for. Not sure I would call them warmer but they still are very detailed with greater tonal density than before. System synergy is key but I would imagine it would work really well with your Diablo 300!

George

Reactions: GSOphile and Hasse

Hasse

Jan 11, 2016
Definitely more organic than in the past and creates an incredible sound stage with all of the dynamics Esoteric is known for. Not sure I would call them warmer but they still are very detailed with greater tonal density than before. System synergy is key but I would imagine it would work really well with your Diablo 300!

George
Thanks George

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
”The DTR-MR is our reference digital audio CD/SACD transport, designed to work as a tandem with our top-line DSD-MR and DSD-SR converters”
I’m sure this cd-transport is top notch but costs way more than I’m willing to spend on a cd-player/dac.
You're right...apologies! 2 piece not 1 piece.

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Whilst a firm advocate of the latest Esoteric, you could also consider Accuphase as a viable alternative if you have the option to do so.

Hasse

Jan 11, 2016
Whilst a firm advocate of the latest Esoteric, you could also consider Accuphase as a viable alternative if you have the option to do so.
Thanks, I have an Accuphase dealer close to me but I don’t care much for the Accuphase amps, perhaps their cd-players could be my cup of tea?
In what way would you say the latest Esoteric is better than their earlier stuff? Unfortunately no Esoteric dealer close to me.

mxk116

Mar 24, 2022
I’ve been looking at Aesthetix Romulus (Sign) which according to some rewievers should have a more analogue sound. Downside; no SACD capability.
I’m also interested in the new Esoteric K-05XD and the Luxman D-07X. Are the two latter more analytical and cold sounding, what are your thoughts?
Rest of the system: Bryston BDP-3 streamer, Gryphon Diablo 300 and Magnepan 3.7’s.
One of the best investments I have made was the purchase of the Esoteric K-01XD SACD/CD transport/DAC. I have used it for 2 years as the hub for digital streaming and optical disc playback. I have a large optical disc collection and a CD/SACD player was essential in my system. IMO the Esoteric VRDS-ATLAS transport mechanism is, in all its iterations, the most reliable and sonically most satisfying production transport I have used. In addition Esoteric's Master Sound Discrete DAC provides the warmth, detail and low level information crucial to spatial cues and ambient detail. Whether listening to optical disc or streaming via an Aurender N20 network transport, all the digital sources have a relaxed and musically engaging quality.

Perhaps previous generations of Esoteric DACs were "analytical and cold sounding" and I have no direct experience with them. However, IMO neither the K-01XD or Luxman D-07X (a product I also auditioned during my search) is analytical or cold in sound. There is a significant price (and performance) differential between the K-01XD and the Luxman D-07XD. You are correct in considering the K-05XD or the Luxman D-07X.

Hasse

Jan 11, 2016
One of the best investments I have made was the purchase of the Esoteric K-01XD SACD/CD transport/DAC. I have used it for 2 years as the hub for digital streaming and optical disc playback. I have a large optical disc collection and a CD/SACD player was essential in my system. IMO the Esoteric VRDS-ATLAS transport mechanism is, in all its iterations, the most reliable and sonically most satisfying production transport I have used. In addition Esoteric's Master Sound Discrete DAC provides the warmth, detail and low level information crucial to spatial cues and ambient detail. Whether listening to optical disc or streaming via an Aurender N20 network transport, all the digital sources have a relaxed and musically engaging quality.

Perhaps previous generations of Esoteric DACs were "analytical and cold sounding" and I have no direct experience with them. However, IMO neither the K-01XD or Luxman D-07X (a product I also auditioned during my search) is analytical or cold in sound. There is a significant price (and performance) differential between the K-01XD and the Luxman D-07XD. You are correct in considering the K-05XD or the Luxman D-07X.
Thanks, Have you by chance heard the K-05XD? I’m really curious how it compares to the similarly priced D-07X.

mxk116

Mar 24, 2022
Thanks, Have you by chance heard the K-05XD? I’m really curious how it compares to the similarly priced D-07X.
Unfortunately I have not listened to the K-05XD. I don't think it was available when I was in the market. I did listen extensively to the K-03XD which shares many of the features of the K-01XD. I believe there is a good family similarity between all the Esoteric CD/SACD players.

soundman

Nov 2, 2023
Madison, Wisconsin
Here this might help ranking from 100 to 1 and in the most orderly fashion by category of reproduction three area in each; see the Accuphase DP-720 http://www.audiodrom.net/en/digital-sources

soundman

Nov 2, 2023
Madison, Wisconsin
Here this might help ranking from 100 to 1 and in the most orderly fashion by category of reproduction three area in each; see the Accuphase DP-720 http://www.audiodrom.net/en/digital-sources
From German stereo.de

Accuphase DP-560

tested in stereo 9/2018

With the DP-560, the cheapest SACD player from Accuphase, the Japanese noble brand combines classic values with modern demands. In addition to an optimized, extremely stable and very quiet drive, there are digital inputs for third-party devices including USB (PC). The flawless processing, long-lasting technology including excellent measured values as well as the first-class sound keep the player up to date. Because quality is always the order of the day.
Price: 10450 €
Sound level CD player: 98%
Sound level SACD player: 98%

Measured values​

Noise ratio "Digital Zero":120 dB
Quantization noise ratio 400 Hz / 0 dBFS:96 dB
Converter linearity: Deviation up to -90 dB:0.1 dB
Output resistance RCA at 1 kHz:48 Ohm
Output voltage Cinch out at 0 dBFS:2.4 V
Output resistance XLR at 1kHz:50 Ohm
Output voltage XLR out at 0 dBFS:2.4 V
Distortion factor -60dBFS/400Hz:0.015 %
Detection of emphasis (DAC):ok
Rectangle:ok
Maximum data rate PCM:32/384 Bit/kHz
Maximum data rate DSD:DSD512
Jitter:1.5 ns
Deviation from the sampling frequency:17.2 ppm
Amplitude of the data stream:415 mV
Reading time:14 s
Detection of emphasis (CD):ok
Disturbances of the information track:0.9 mm
Disturbances of the surface:0.9 mm
Power consumption standby:<2 W
Power consumption idle:13.3 W
As usual, this player also shines with dream values, especially with the interference distances and with regard to the defference. In addition, the drive copes well with faulty discs.

Reactions: Bso and Hasse

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
Not really sure what those numbers mean ... taken at face value then the MSB Reference is at 100 so does that mean the Select cannot possibly be any better? I'm just not sure how to think about these numbers ...

George

Reactions: mxk116

soundman

Nov 2, 2023
Madison, Wisconsin
Not really sure what those numbers mean ... taken at face value then the MSB Reference is at 100 so does that mean the Select cannot possibly be any better? I'm just not sure how to think about these numbers ...

George

ACCUPHASE DP-720 SACD​

PW15.02.2016

Digital sources​

Accuphase engineers further expanded on the features that had made their DP-900/DC-900 transport/DAC combo so phenomenal - the result is the one-box DP-720. This player is built with almost fanatical attention to detail. The casework is exquisite, smooth and luxurious and so is the sound. To highlight how special the DP-720 is Accuphase used mirror gloss dark wood side panels, something that we loved so much with heritage players of Sony, Pioneer or Kenwood fame.

100% reference

Function and form​

95%
Ease of use
94%
Sound
100%
Appearance
Working with the DP-720 will be not unfamiliar to those who are used to a turntable operation. Everything takes time - getting from stand-by takes few seconds and switching off runs series of control checks before the machine is unpowered. There is something almost aristocratic in the smooth way the SACD player operates.
The controls of the DP-720 are simple and intuitive. To make sure that everyone really understands Accuphase provides a very detailed idiot-proof manual with tons of illustrations. The target burgeois may not be perhaps as technically knowledgeable as we are. I found the whole DP-720 concept flawless in use with one exception - with previous Accuphase's players I liked the A-B repeat function that was priceless for reviewing. Other that that the DP-720 is only about superlatives.
Accuphase's proprietary drive is very rigid and very heavy. It floats via viscous dampers on an 8mm thick metal plate and travels on a super-quiet traverse mechanism. Accuphase even paid attention to a disc's wobbling by developing special neodymium magnet yoke to stabilize the rotations. The whole assembly is buried in a thick shielded aluminum sarcophagus. The fact that the mechanic part of any player playes extremely important role in its performance is out of question - Accuphase had proved it with their DP-900 transport already.
The DP-720 employs highly advanced MDSD D/A conversion with 8 (!) high-performance 32-bit Hyperstream™ DAC chips (ES9018 from ESS Technology Inc.) driven in parallel. With MDSD, multiple DSD signals are delayed and then processed by the D/A converters - after D/A conversion, summation of the multiple data results in a moving-average filter circuit with double-speed accuracy. The MDSD principle is independent of signal frequency and signal level and output signal noise at very low levels is also minimized, which is very difficult to achieve with conventional delta-sigma converters. By locating a dedicated quartz oscillator very close to each ES9018 chip and driving the D/A converter as a master clock in asynchronous mode, jitter is also significantly reduced. The DP-720 also boasts of 119dB signal-to-noise ratio.
The player provides RCA and XLR outputs as well as usual optical and coaxial digital outputs. Plus there is a company's RJ-45 HS-Link connection (ideal for connecting the DP-720 with other Accuphase equipment to exclude signal conversions(, plus there is an USB (480Mbps) port.The DACs handle 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4 kHz, 192 kHz and native DSD 2.8224 MHz/1bit.

Bass management​

Weight

Slam

Articulation

I have never heard better bass with a digital component. It is very deep, very articulated, very resolved and very dynamic. It goes so deep that when you feel it is really low it surprises you in the next moment by going even deeper. It is almost seismical in its nature. WIth stand mount monitors or usual speakers one cannot notice that (then you'll probably savour remarkable mids instead), but on full-range speakers the Accuphase DP-720 is about understanding how analogue like the presentation of a digital equipment can be.

Clarity & delicacy​

Detail

Air

Transparency

During my listening sessions occassionally I had a feeling that I'd like to hear more highlighted detail, more air, more brilliancy, you name it - a typical audiophile fever that has been ignited by the modern digital audio. Fortunately, there is a remedy. Go and listen to a live orchestra or band - standing just two meters from an acoustic bass where are all those audiophile sounds? I am sorry but often we are chasing phantoms without paying attention to what the reality is. The DP-720 provided me with the natural and real sound of wonderful liquidity and impeccable purity.

Tonal accuracy​

Timbre

Dynamics

Temporal resolution

Tonality is one of the biggest strengths of Accuphase components. Harmonic envelopes and aliquotes of instruments and voices are amazing through the DP-720. The tranzient attacks are fast and dynamic, the sonic bloom is there, the trailing off is there, the pitch black background is there. Textures are among the best achieveable from a digital and the details, though not pronounced, are like under an electron microscope. The DP-720 is a gifted player - it never sounds like a player, it is much closer to very expensive turntable in its presentation.
I mentioned the unusually high S/N ratio and I could hear it. Orchestral crescendos, in contrast to soft parts, were like detonations. Especially in the SACD mode the DP-720 excelled with macro and microdynamic contrasts that that were unparalleled in the digital player world.

Spatial resolution​

Holography

Soundstage width

Soundstage depth

The soundstage of the DP-720 is luxurious and spacious. There is nothing like layering - the transitions in its holographic soundstage are totally smooth and seamless. The DP-720 passed all my usual checks for soundstaging accuracy with aplomb.
It is actually cheap. If you anchor its value properly, of course. In the past decade or two we witnessed the Accuphase's pricing steeply and systematically rising, like 20% surcharge for every model upgrade. Yet, before the brand could turn into an elithistic niche in Europe the latest models have been downpriced to the more accesible range (strong yen helped, of course). Framed by the boom of ultraexpensive audio from East and West, the Accuphase devices appear to be actually in a mid-tier segment, I would say a golden ratio of the price vs performance positioning. I know, the flagship models are still beyond reach for many, yet they have become more reachable than before.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing