Baseball Season Is Coming To An End

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It's a tribute to digital technology. It appears as if the bat bent when it struck the ball. It then snapped back catching up with the ball and striking it again. I have never seen a better argument for instant replay. If you missed it they have been running it on Sportscenter (ESPN).

I assume it was digital . I don't think any machine could snap 3000 fps.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
the bats of the giants are still hot. hope it continues. watching the fans go crazy at the panda's 3 home runs was fantastic.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
well Myles, one can say that it is only one game but I believe strongly in the SF Giants and all of your mouth re the rested Tigers rotation seemed to fall on deaf ears because from where I was watching the Giants ate up and spit out Justin Verlander as well as going deep into their bullpen and destroying their ace finishers.

Myles you never did answer my question as to how many games the Tigers will need to win the WS

The Giants and the city of SF are pumped and yes they are indeed good enough to polish off your well rested Tigers rotation

However they have to win 3 more and yes my prediction might sound premature but I have been calling the Giants all season as they are just that good and nothing phases them. How about Tim Lincecum in the closing innings. Or how about 34 yo Barry Zito starting for the Giants and winning his first WS start

Steve Williams

Or how about this one.......

Valverde returns and postseason ERA rises to 30.38

By RONALD BLUM (AP Sports Writer) | The Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Jose Valverde started the postseason with a scoreless inning and a save against Oakland. Since then, his ERA is 48.60.
No more explosive fastball. Instead, his ERA seems to be rising exponentially.
Valverde was hit hard by the San Francisco Giants in his return to the mound Wednesday night, allowing two runs while getting only one out during the Detroit Tigers' 8-3 loss in Game 1 of the World Series.
''He wasn't terrible. He just wasn't good,'' Detroit manager Jim Leyland said.
After allowing a pair of two-run homers in the ninth inning against the Yankees in the AL championship series opener, Valverde was put on ice by the Tigers. He worked on his motion during his 10-day layoff, trying to speed his legs.
With the Tigers trailing 6-1, Valverde relieved to start the seventh. He struck out Tim Lincecum, then allowed Angel Pagan's double to right followed by a two-hop RBI single from Marco Scutaro on a 94 mph pitch. The seeing-eye hit went between third baseman Miguel Cabrera and shortstop Jhonny Peralta.
''Sometimes when you throw bad pitches, you do the job,'' Valverde said. ''When you throw good pitches, you can't do the job.''
Pablo Sandoval singled to center, completing a 4-for-4 night with three homers and four RBIs, and Buster Posey sliced a 92 mph pitch into right field for another run-scoring single. That finished Valverde after 18 pitches.
''This is what happens when you play the best team in the National League,'' Valverde said, speaking calmly at his locker minutes after the final out. ''Everything was working good for me. I had my sinker, my split, cutter. Sandoval, Pagan, Scutaro, Posey, they hit my best pitches.''
Valverde had 49 saves in 49 chances with a 2.24 ERA last year but converted only 35 of 40 opportunities with a 3.78 ERA this season. Eligible for free agency after the World Series, the 34-year-old right-hander might have thrown his last pitch for Detroit.
''For whatever reason it just doesn't seem to be coming out quite right, although he did have a few 93s (mph),'' Leyland said. ''You know, it's a little bit puzzling, to be honest with you. It looks like it's just not quite exploding.''
Tigers catcher Alex Avila had another explanation.
''A lot of pitches, if I'm set up away it comes back middle,'' he said. ''The thing is, when he's throwing 95, 96 (mph) you can get away with that sometimes. Now that he's throwing 90, 91, you're going to get hit more times than not.''
In four postseason appearances this year, Valverde has been slammed for nine runs and 11 hits in 2 2-3 innings, a 30.38 ERA. When Leyland needed a closer in Games 2 and 3 against the Yankees, he turned to lefty Phil Coke.
Valverde wouldn't discuss the possibility he might not be used again this year.
''You never know,'' he said. ''Tomorrow is a new day.''

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
To Valverdes credit those two home runs were not bad pitches. One was high heat. The other was low. One wonders why they kept pitching to the Panda Bear. I bet they will not do it again. Usually when the pitcher is not throwing well you throw the hot hitter four balls.

Congrats SF.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Giants in an uncharacteristic 2-0 lead after falling behind the last 2 series. They have silenced the Tigers' bats and just like that are 2 games away from another crown.

Steve Williams

sort of settles the notion posted here several days ago that the Giants were going to lose because the Tigers rotation was so well rested and the Giants rotation was in shambles because of their previous 7 game series with the Cards. Seems Bumgarner got the best of Fister so now we go back to Detroit leading 2-0

I have watched most every meaningful Giants game all season and they are just that good.

So I guess the Tigers not only have to win in Detroit but they also have to win at least one coming back to SF

Now where is our doubter Myles for final comments ;)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
That's why they play the game.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The Giants prove again I know nothing about baseball. History has shown a 3-0 lead is insurmountable. Congrats to Giants.

Steve Williams

and no big deal for the Giants rotation which because of the 7 game series to St Louis puts their ace, Mstt Cain in tomorrow for the sweep.

Where is my man Myles. He is conspicuously absent now from this thread ;)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Baseball is one unpredictable game. Shutting out a vaunted offense is hard to do but the Giants' pitching has come alive when it's needed most. They still need to win 1 more game and I hope they get it tomorrow.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
and no big deal for the Giants rotation which because of the 7 game series to St Louis puts their ace, Mstt Cain in tomorrow for the sweep.

Where is my man Myles. He is conspicuously absent now from this thread ;)

C'mon who wudda thunk? :)

Steve Williams

C'mon who wudda thunk? :)

Me. I told you that before the series even started and your comment was "I beg to disagree" and then went on about the Giants rotation and how the Tigers were welll rested.

Well as I said, I have watched this team all year and they never give up and fear no one. They play with grit and determination and there was never a doubt in my mind that if they beat St Louis they were going to win the WS

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Me. I told you that before the series even started and your comment was "I beg to disagree" and then went on about the Giants rotation and how the Tigers were welll rested.

Well as I said, I have watched this team all year and they never give up and fear no one. They play with grit and determination and there was never a doubt in my mind that if they beat St Louis they were going to win the WS

And Barry Zito comes off the garbage heap and pitches well for them. Someone is looking down on them :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing